High season? What high season? Thai tourism has a gap year.

webfact

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still trying to figure out how the Government will make up for no High Season this year.  Will they add those days as holidays next year just like the Songkran Holidays that they have been dispersing out.  Will they get mother nature to hold off on the Rainy season this next year and proclaim a Double High Season that will last for the year.  I am so confused...and with Marijuana now legal maybe 2021 will be a true High Season year....

A lot less Thai people will be traveling overseas during the high season due to Covid. So there will be a very high number of Thai's holidaying inside Thailand

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Cha-am/Hua Hin the same - but they all drive home come Sunday night..

Good that they do as well, clears up the clutter. 

That was the norm back in 2004. 

Packed on the weekends, civil during the week. 

Perfect balance for Hua Hin.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

we see the thai govt paralysed with fear as its the only thing a badly educated and xenophobic electorate have given them any credit for.although millions are destitute....the economys driven off a cliff ,well those minor details shouldnt detract from a major policy success. i saw they gave free testing kits to singapore today and its not april 1st,oh yes singapore who has managed to test approx 75% of their pop as opposed to thailands......ummm well who needs testing anyway what do these experts know?im sure the singaporeans will send em back with a note saying maybe u need em more than we do,it about sums up the single digit IQ level of the approach to incoming foreigners.theyre tested before getting on the plane,locals ARNT!!amulets again we should all get one that guy fauci too hes just not getting with the programme.then they pay amazing amounts of money to stay in hotels that are empty,look down your street hotels everywhere but not a punter in sight!well theyre all locked up i guess.then the insurance as youll need it as youve been tested 3 or 4 times by the time you leave solitary so another bundle of cash for.........but u could catch it here you remark but the govt says u cant but u need massively priced insurance duuuuur shut up my daddy owns the ins company,oh dear its obvious whats going on .someones thinking they were on a good one here but those damned filthy foreigners wont swallow it the cheap charlies.press the reset button.ummm the old thai adage seems to be fading...if fewer come those that remain are charged more,well its worked before.......aghh the times they are a changing and if u dont change .....you wont be seeing any change in more ways than one

except the economy hasn’t been ‘driven off a cliff’....

• Haha 1

I think regardless of whatever restrictions are or aren't in place for entry to Thailand, think about the potential tourist.

I find it hard to believe (exclude China) that your average Western tourist, pummeled by the economic impact of the pandemic reads the news that Thailand has (if and when) lifted travel restrictions, says 'Thank God for that, get me on a plane'

I just don't see it. Most countries are reeling from the effects, lockdowns, business closures, unemployment.

Pretty sure one of the last things on folks minds is hopping on a plane to Thailand, and they are probably more focused on rebuilding family finances, and just staying safe after this appalling year! 

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

This article talks about European  Holidaymakers to blame for Covid 2nd wave and subsequent lockdowns all over Europe

European holidaymakers to blame for COVID second wave, says health expert

https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/28/european-holidaymakers-to-blame-for-covid-second-wave-says-health-expert

So if Thailand opens up no quarantine would it go into a countrywide lockdown

There are question marks over how accurate and reliable these rapid tests are

1) They aren't meant to be given to everyone only for symptomatic people

How accurate are rapid COVID-19 tests?

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/policy/health-care/how-accurate-are-rapid-covid-19-tests.html

Why Trump’s Rapid-Testing Plan Worries Scientists

Experts were already divided on the right way to deploy new coronavirus tests. Then the White House barged ahead.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/10/do-rapid-antigen-tests-have-accuracy-problem/616681/

Brian Flowers:  “Unless the visa situation lightens, quarantine is scrapped and flights are increased, we do not expect a high season, 50% of our sales are online now, maybe that will increase if people have time off.”

The mind stumbles trying not to think of what the bars are selling on-line !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

in any society/government and/or business,  leadership is the crucial ingredient for success.... question??? does Thailand has good leadership, democratically elected leaders.... answer??? NOPE and that's an easy finding, just look at their weekly/daily BS proposals that says it all

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some places are acting as if it IS high season, and putting up prices accordingly. IMO that will cause what they have left for customers to go elsewhere.

Yes, and that would include numerous golf courses, 4,500 Baht plus caddie tip to play a tier 1 course in Bangkok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. First they need to figure out a way to attract tourism, WITHOUT quarantine. That is fairly simple. A very reliable lab based test in the home nation, with test results before you board the plane. Then a simple antigen test at the airport. It takes 15 minutes for results. Sure, Thailand would have to invest in the test kits. Some general would have to be willing to part with a few million dollars. Each test itself, only cost $5 with the new Abbott test, which is available now. There is some risk involved. But some action is better than letting millions remain jobless. Right? 

Then they could get on to reform. Sacrifices need to be made. I do not hear ANY discussion about what sacrifices Thailand is willing to make, to get the tourists, and that multi trillion baht cash cow back. A good place to start would be the submarines. Give them up. 

If a tourist wanted to venture to an island destination, they are all devastated by this shutdown. Was recently in Samui. 85% of the hotels were closed. Most restaurants, alot of bars, shops and other businesses were closed many permanently. Granted, there are some great hotel bargains right now. But, that environment is fairly depressing, seeing so much hardship. So, the lame authorities here need to wrap their minds around that. Tourists would be coming to a hugely diminished destination. Free quarantine? Might be a good place to start. Make some sacrifices, you incompetents. These issues and problems were becoming apparent long before Covid. And none were being addressed. That is part of my point. Tourism had been declining for years already. The numbers were up. But the quality of tourist was way down. And according to everyone I spoke to last year, the year before and the year before that, income was way, way down. So, "this blame it all on Covid scenario" is somewhat disengenuous. Sure, Covid is huge. And the drop now is stunning. But, my point is there were plenty of issues prior to Covid. And are any of them being addressed?

Major changes need to be made, if Thailand wants to continue to enjoy the cash cow of tourism. Travelers these days simply have too many choices. Creativity is required. Progress needs to be made. Thailand cannot continue to be one of the least progressive nations on earth, and expect foreigners to tolerate that degree of ignorance. These seeds were planted over a decade ago. The hapless army has accelerated the process dramatically. If Thailand had a qualified health minister, and a slightly intelligent tourism minister, they would stop this nonsense, and realize no tourism program requiring quarantine will ever work. Period. 

The Thai army. Moving Thailand backwards, and inflicting untold pain on it's people. Time to go, guys. The people need competency, and they are speaking loudly now. 

So! you think that I will book flights and hotels take out insurance and then take a test at Schiphol? To be told I am positive and can't travel.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, berrec said:

Yes, and that would include numerous golf courses, 4,500 Baht plus caddie tip to play a tier 1 course in Bangkok.

Seriously? You'd pay less than that at the National in  Melbourne. Not to be rude about it, but the tier one courses here are tier 2 in many other countries.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/

• Like 1