Georgia pours cold water on Trump bid to overturn Biden win

rooster59

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Newspaper headlines do not make legal processes.  It was an "risk-limiting audit".  They selected a random sample (in this case a random sample of 100% of the ballots) to verify.  A recount can change the official results, an audit can only be used to say the results were not correct. 

There, I have a headline as well (battle of the headlines)

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/statewide-audit-results-reaffirm-biden-winner-georgia/story?id=74308105

A random sample of 100% of the ballots? Really? This is a distinction without a difference.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

A random sample of 100% of the ballots? Really? This is a distinction without a difference.

I did say it was 'slightly' abused to placate Trump... of course it did not work.  But again an audit would not in itself be able to overturn the results.  The funny thing is that if Trump requests a recount (he has today and tomorrow I think to consider it), it will be less thorough than the audit.  In the end, I have no problem being thorough.  It was never going to change anything...  Trump lost, now he lost again, and he will lose again  if he asks for a recount... that would make him a three time loser.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I did say it was 'slightly' abused to placate Trump... of course it did not work.  But again an audit would not in itself be able to overturn the results.  The funny thing is that if Trump requests a recount (he has today and tomorrow I think to consider it), it will be less thorough than the audit.  In the end, I have no problem being thorough.  It was never going to change anything...  Trump lost, now he lost again, and he will lose again  if he asks for a recount... that would make him a three time loser.

Many types of audits, including risk-limiting audits, call for examining an increasing number of ballots—even performing a full hand count—if initial samples don’t provide adequate confidence in the correctness of the election outcome. Therefore, if a recount involves recounting every ballot by hand, it can be considered a risk-limiting audit that has immediately moved ahead to this ultimate level of examination.

Audits vs. Recounts: What’s the Difference? – Verified Voting

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Many types of audits, including risk-limiting audits, call for examining an increasing number of ballots—even performing a full hand count—if initial samples don’t provide adequate confidence in the correctness of the election outcome. Therefore, if a recount involves recounting every ballot by hand, it can be considered a risk-limiting audit that has immediately moved ahead to this ultimate level of examination.

Audits vs. Recounts: What’s the Difference? – Verified Voting

So now you are arguing he did not abuse the law - that is funny.

43 minutes ago, placeholder said:

actually, the other dude is correct.  it's confusing as each state has its own set of election laws, sometimes terms are used differently, and of course reporters aren't always concise.

the new georgia law requires the secretary of state to audit (apparently with a 100% hand tally) one race per election.  for obvious reasons, he chose to audit the presidential race. 

according to the article below, the audit is more thorough than a recount.  each ballot is viewed by a human, while a recount would simply re-run the machine tabulation.

following the audit and certification, the trump campaign has two days to request a recount, which of course would simply reconfirm the confirmed confirmation.

Are Georgia's votes being audited or recounted?

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/are-georgias-votes-being-audited-or-recounted

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Maybe it would be wise, for the future, to issue a new law/regulation that every voting is automatically recounted twice.

Of course it will cost time, effort and money.

This time I cannot agree with you. Voting automatically recounted twice?

If you cannot trust the voting administration of your country, then forget your country.

The voting process should be regulaled in a law. And I guess that's the case in the US. As in many other democratic states the law demands recounting, if the voting outcome is tight. Did you ever read about such a  fiasco in other normal democracies and in the USA before Trump?

Al Gore, a fine democrat,  has demonstrated how to handle this problem. And therefore the question: why isn't Trump able to do the same? The answer: because Trump has an absoluitely abhorrent character/peronality. He was and is completely unable to recognize  to be a loser.

IMO, the most horrible and terrible result of this election is not Trump, but that there has been such a high number, more than 70 million, who voted for him. Electing such a monster, guess what I think about nearly half of the US-American population?!!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

As George Orwell well knew.."doublespeak" was not merely a  a phenomenon of the Marxist powers..as he should have known  as he worked for the British "Ministry of Truth" for a while...

Actually by coining the term..he sorta created it-or,at least,gave it new literary credence and it has been with us ever since.

Iraq 2003 springs to mind...but Afghanistan and the later Iraqi period has been "doublespeak" hell..on behalf of Western corporations.

John Brunner wrote a very fine novel about this.."Stand On Zanzibar"

..and General Smedley Butler (USMC) knew very well what this is about as his book..'War is a Racket'...would indicate.

Many books come with the label 'highly prophetic', but Stand on Zanzibar is the only one that truly earns it.

Looking at when it was written, and comparing today's world to the one it describes, it's just stunning. Even if some of the motivations behind various actors and players may vary slightly on the surface, the world 'Zanzibar' describes is as good as a template for today. Even the 'zappy' style it's written in was done long before TV 'zapping' was even a possibility.

An utterly, utterly brilliant read.

Well I read a lot of written noise but as real life experience shows  there is no difference between Democrats and

Republicans. One promised "Fundamental transformation"---I am still waiting, and another one promised stop illegal aliens--I guess its easy to promise.

• Like 2

‘This is simply not how the Constitution works’: Federal judge eviscerates Trump lawsuit over Pennsylvania results

A federal judge in Pennsylvania eviscerated President Donald Trump’s attempt to throw out millions of votes Saturday, dismissing his campaign’s lawsuit with a withering opinion that described a dearth of proof to justify the drastic demand.

“This Court has been presented with strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence,” U.S. District Judge Matthew Brann wrote. “In the United States of America, this cannot justify the disenfranchisement of a single voter, let alone all the voters of its sixth most populated state.

Judge slaps down Trump appointee who has sought to reshape Voice of America and related agencies - The Washington Post

Edited by onthedarkside
hidden quote removed

10 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The Georgia Law was not a recount law, it was an audit.  An audit in this case is usually a random selection of samples that would then be used to verify statistically that there were no major malfunctions etc. generally speaking with the process.  It was abused to a certain point, but I had no issue with it (though I doubt it would have been abused if the Republicans were ahead by the same number of votes - this was purely a political maneuver to try and placate Trump.... it did not work).  I did not expect the vote count to change enough for it to matter (never does).  Even if the audit turned up something it could not have changed the results -- only a recount can.   Now that the election in Georgia has been certified, Trump can (and likely will) request a recount.  BTW, States usually have a threshold at which the losing party can request a recount (paid for by taxpayers)... above that threshold some states allow for it to be requested if the party requesting puts up a bond and is responsible for paying for the recount.

You're correct. I didn't know the audit/recount wrinkle. Thanks for that fact. I knew states have different thresholds for recounts though. But it's around 0.1% differences I think. And candidates must have plausible reasons but can demand a recount. 

So I'm not categorically against anybody exercising their rights in that regard, but of course in the recent cases it just obstruction and face-saving for his rabid base. Well, whatever gets them through the night I guess. I've had four years of getting thru the night so don't have much sympathy for them. 

Things like the impeachment are similar examples on the Democrat side, but again, it's just emotional salve for our wounds. Nobody on the left ever talked about assassination or coups though. 

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Did she point out that Hillary Clinton conceded on the night of the 2016 election, even though the election was much closer than the 2020 election?  Or did she go into the standard 'alternative facts' rant?

What's stopping you finding out?

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why listen to more lies? That's the problem in the U.S. Too many listen to lies and actually believe them. As proven by a few members here.

Enlightening the board of the existence of pushback from an interested party is no indication of the belief or otherwise of the person doing so.

We Brits refer to the practice as being "ficker than us" whenever it pops up in our (Brexit) threads.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Enlightening the board of the existence of pushback from an interested party is no indication of the belief or otherwise of the person doing so.

We Brits refer to the practice as being "ficker than us" whenever it pops up in our (Brexit) threads.

You posted "The WH Press Sec pointed out the comparisons between 2016 & 2020 post election shenanigans at the end of yesterdays press briefing.", implying the paid professional liar had valid points to make regarding Trump's refusal to concede the obvious. 

Clearly Trump is not the only one who refuses to concede the obvious.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You posted "The WH Press Sec pointed out the comparisons between 2016 & 2020 post election shenanigans at the end of yesterdays press briefing.", implying the paid professional liar had valid points to make regarding Trump's refusal to concede the obvious. 

Clearly Trump is not the only one who refuses to concede the obvious.

"The fat lady has yet to reach for the Listerine" ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[quote]

It was obviously a good idea to do the recount, 12,000 is a close race. Hopefully they will continue the transparency with other close races. It is the right thing to do.

[/quote]

The vote counters must have failed kindergarten maths if they are 12,000 votes in error.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

It was obviously a good idea to do the recount, 12,000 is a close race. Hopefully they will continue the transparency with other close races. It is the right thing to do.

[/quote]

The vote counters must have failed kindergarten maths if they are 12,000 votes in error.........

Biden's winning margin was 12,000 votes.