Calls to ban smoking in condominiums in Thailand

webfact

Thailands Bans and Crackdowns..was for me the point after 30yrs to sell and happy i done so. i still hv one big apartment there,and was thinking still come over winter enjoying the only good thing there.sex f money and fun.

but its just nuts the newsflow

ban everything. motorbikes caars songkran and every fun.,.make people zombis...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

yep smoking on balconies if you jave neighbors should not be allowed

a little story..a few years ago i was working as a guide in Belgium with a group of Aussies ..its still allowed to smoke on the terrace outside the restaurant...there was a Belgian group sitting near us lighting up one after another whilst we were eating  got to admit it was bad we were chewing it ..this one bloke with me had enough .no small bloke as i remember ..he asked the group if they would possibly stop whilst we were eating..to no effect then the crunch came  he said you like a fag the residue from it is smoke and its going all over me ..i like a beer the residue is P.ss would you like it over your table .. luckily it finished there  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tingtong said:

I believe your own place you smoke, is your choice. And your right to decide.

Especially if you bought your place with no such restrictions.

In this world when anything and everything offends someone, what is next?

Ban garlic/basil/pla ra/ squid/ whatever cooking in condo bcos stinks the corridor?

Ban fried food?

When I lived in Bangkok I lived in a condo quite expensive place to live the condo directly below me some Indian family moved in, I didn't no they where Indian I could only smell them, I personally didn't complain but I think many people did they were asked to leave it was bad you could smell it everywhere even on the roof by the pool, The funny thing is the condo owners were Indians 

Edited by ChipButty

59 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It should be banned for sure.

And alcohol,sugar and fast food  everyone should be thin, workout daily, cycle to work,  be carbon neutral

only consume "approved" media broadcasts  etc .... then "suddenly"  

“Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimetres inside your skull. ”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, varun said:

What were these academics smoking thinking coming up with this monkey-brained Somchai idea?

Ban people from smoking in their own homes? 

And how will you enforce it?

How  will it be enforced :  someone like me reports these deplorables to the police. Like these <deleted>birds in the unit below mine. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

When I lived in Bangkok I lived in a condo quite expensive place to live the condo directly below me some Indian family moved in, I didn't no they where Indian I could only smell them, I personally didn't complain but I think many people did they were asked to leave it was bad you could smell it everywhere even on the roof by the pool, The funny thing is the condo owners were Indians 

that's racism, gas chamber for all racists in this world!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lapamita said:

Thailands Bans and Crackdowns..was for me the point after 30yrs to sell and happy i done so. i still hv one big apartment there,and was thinking still come over winter enjoying the only good thing there.sex f money and fun.

but its just nuts the newsflow

ban everything. motorbikes caars songkran and every fun.,.make people zombis...

that's exactly what's going to happen.

Yes I am sure the Chinese will be told no smoking haha I don't think so !!!!!!!! They are chainsmokers and you think they will not allow them too smoke or they go elsewhere come on dream on. They spit and smoke and have disgusting habits dream on Thailand. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

I have this picture of sitting on a condo balcony in BKK above a busy road with diesel vehicles trundling past, or siiting in a jam for long periods with all the nice black smoke coming out the back and trying to figure out how I could smell tobacco smoke from a balcony 3 or 4 floors below me.

Just sayin'.

well said......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NilSS said:

Live and let live, I'm with you on that, and I'm not into nanny states, but I do think the smell causes a stink in corridors etc (Full disclosure, I'm an ex-smoker of ~15 years). That said, if Thailand wants to get serious about public health, in the sense that it effects people in their homes, start with noise pollution, which can be equally deleterious to a persons health when they cannot control it or move away from it.

Then they need to ban cooking that rotten fish Thais love it smells worse than any cigarette smoke and I'm a non smoker 

Edited by Mike k
Added to comment
  • Haha 1

It is not a "affects no one but me" addiction.

All the cancers, heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health issues caused by this disgusting habit.  Raising medical and insurance costs around the world.  Probably costing trillions of dollars.

Second hand smoke is still an issue as is the vomitish smell.

I cannot think of a more selfish self serving habit.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I never smoked in my life. But I had and have friends who smoke. And I go to bars were officially smoking is banned but nobody cares. And I am just fine. Let smokers smoke. Have a little tolerance.

It makes sense that people don't smoke in offices or i.e. a bank. But people who smoke their whole life should be able to go on the balcony or in front of the door or wherever and have a cigarette (of cigar, or pipe).

If smoking is soooo bad then make it a crime to sell cigarettes. And maybe also make it a crime to sell alcohol.

And maybe to be sure don't allow any car with more that 50HP or a top speed over 100km/h. 

I am sure there are many other rules and laws which would be for the "benefit" of the people.
Yeah, sure.

Enjoy life - and let the smokers enjoy their life.

Most of us have some habits which others don't like. Should all be illegal? Over to you.

If you answer Yes to the last question -

Welcome to the ultimate Nanny State Australia; for everyone's enjoyment.

20201129_091201.jpg

20201129_092408.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Try telling my wife that, she doesn't smoke or drink but still got cancer

Maybe she can blame that smoker who was next to her in the market 3 years ago.

Sorry, it's not my intention to make fun of her. I hope she is reasonably alright.

Problem with all of these "bans" is there is no enforcement.  My condo has 50% AirBnB rentals this weekend - all against the law.  50% of motorcyclists wear no helmet, against the law.  Even with the ban on Alcohol here, I was able to easily get it during those days in April.  Lovely that everyone wants to ban annoying, dangerous, unpleasant things, but mostly all moot as few will follow the ban and no enforcement will happen. 

My favorite is motorcycles on the beach road promenade, 1000 baht fine, yet several non-food delivery motorcycles I have seen driving right past the police across from their station on Soi 9.  Am sure if the scooter hit me and fell over I would get a ticket for walking and have to pay for any medical and scooter repairs (not the illegal driver)

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, overherebc said:

I have this picture of sitting on a condo balcony in BKK above a busy road with diesel vehicles trundling past, or siiting in a jam for long periods with all the nice black smoke coming out the back and trying to figure out how I could smell tobacco smoke from a balcony 3 or 4 floors below me.

Just sayin'.

You'd have loved a ... discussion ... I was involved in a few years back on Yahoo. This master debater kept insisting, no matter how many people called him out on it, that he could smell a cigarette, in a car in front, but not just in front, 4-6 in front and not in a traffic jam ... not even in slow traffic ... but on a highway when average speed is around 115 Klm/h. 

Funnily enough that thread was started because of the same issue; floating the idea of banning smoking on balconies in Oz. <deleted> zealots :coffee1:

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pattayadude said:

in a smoking section, your buddy has no right to tell anyone not to smoke.if smoke bothers him so much, he should either leave or go to a non-smoking resto.. he's lucky they didn't make him lick  his residue off their table

Isn't smoking illegal in all restaurants indoor or outdoor in Thailand?