Britain in 'final throw of the dice' as EU trade talks set to restart

rooster59

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, we all know your position. 

The same as many other Brexiteers here; "I'm all right, Jack, because I live in Thailand and wont suffer the consequences."

Except, if you are relying on an income from the UK to meet your living costs and visa requirements, what will you do if/when Brexit causes the pound to sink even lower against the baht?

GBP to THB Chart 5 Years

(Source)

And you, Mr.Angry, because you can't do what I am doing.....????

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Nothing to do with Brexit.

Luxembourg has been a tax haven since the 60's. Ireland acts in a similar fashion, although denies it.

In fact 7 EU countries have been labeled tax havens, so maybe blame them, not JRM. Juncker had many fingers in that pie.

https://www.icij.org/investigations/luxembourg-leaks/seven-eu-countries-labeled-tax-havens-in-parliament-report/

If it were nothing to do with Brexit, why did JRM wait until just after the vote to move the management of some of his funds?  

As you admit, nothing else changed.

PH

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, david555 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-boris-johnson-the-enfant-terrible-to-plead-for-trade-deal-12154662

It is unlikely that the prime minister will receive a warm welcome when he travels to Brussels this week, says Sky's Jon Craig.

By Jon Craig, chief political correspondent

Months of COVID-enforced phone calls, Zooming and virtual meetings have proved fruitless in the search for a Brexit trade deal.

So Boris Johnson now has to go to Brussels for a face-to-face showdown with his tormenters: European leaders who regard him with contempt for his role in Brexit.

The prime minister will travel to the city where he made his name as a journalist writing stories claiming the European Union wanted to ban prawn cocktail crisps, bent bananas and curved cucumbers.

The EU has learnt already that he is a lawbreaker. Surprised? Not alt all !

• Like 1

The UK is doing the right thing, that is leaving the EU, but no deal? it's like committing suicide, not sure what's the point, they have a good deal on the table

rumours has it that it's not about the Fisheries, it's a diversion for the press, the real reasons are kept secret by the negotiators

7 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Indeed.  The tax income from the City of London is HUGE. 

I remember reading than 10% of the revenues of the UK government directly originates from the Square Mile.

We have too keep a close eye on what happens next year

This total contribution, comprising £33.4bn of taxes borne and £42.1bn of taxes collected, is broadly stable compared to last year’s £75.0bn despite ongoing economic uncertainty and represents 10.5% of all UK tax receipts.

https://news.cityoflondon.gov.uk/uk-financial-services-sector-maintains-record-tax-contribution/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My Thailand visa doesn't depend on how much money I have in a Thai bank. Stop assuming everyone's circumstances are the same as yours. A weak pound over the next 5 years suits me (and no doubt many others), for example UK exporters.

Then you are an exception.

I live in the UK and so will suffer the ill effects of Brexit far more than someone in Thailand whose income is not dependent on the value of Sterling. A weak pound certainly will not suit UK importers nor us UK residents as we will have to deal with the price increases.

Until Covid struck, UK unemployment was down since Brexit by several hundred thousand. I've provided links to this many times.

No argument from me there. Although your graph does show it starting to rise at the end of 2019. See also Employment in the UK: May 2020

2.Main points for January to March 2020

The UK unemployment rate was estimated at 3.9%, 0.1 percentage points higher than a year earlier and also 0.1 percentage points higher than the previous quarter.

So unemployment was rising before the pandemic.

But what will happen in the future; especially if there is no deal. Just one example: Nissan warned a no-deal Brexit could kill its UK business. It employs 7,000 people at Britain's biggest car plant.

The JRM argument is so lame. Of course investments are made outside the UK. If you knew anything about investing you'd know this, you spread your portfolio across many sectors in many countries. It's called diversifying, to put it simply you don't put all your eggs in one basket. JRM is no different, you can't expect him to invest 100% in UK stocks either before or after Brexit, it wouldn't make sense for any fund manager to do that.

I used Rees-Mogg's company as I was interested to see how you lot would defend his "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrisy. You didn't disappoint.

Seriously, in addition to the Nissan warning, you must have missed this from The Economist

Brexit has robbed the City of London, the capital’s financial district, of much of its swagger. World-conquering ambition has given way to anxious defensiveness......

Thousands of jobs and well over £1trn ($1.3trn) of assets have already been shifted to continental Europe as City firms confront this new friction.

We can source food from elsewhere, cheaper. It's a big world out there and the EU isn't the only shop in the village, as they are about to find out.

I repeat:

Then there are the probable rises in food prices if there is no deal. "Eat home produced food!" you may proclaim. The UK has not been self sufficient in food since the 19th century! 

But it seems that you believe you know more about this than a magazine which has been reporting on food retail since 1862!

WTO rules mean WTO tariffs on imports; including food, unless we have a trade agreement. Not many of them so far! The alternative would be to have zero tariffs on all food imports; including those from the EU. Far more sensible, but would the extreme Brexiteers agree to that?

Edited by 7by7
spelling
  • Like 2

Long term we won't be poorer

A biased opinion and dodgy prediction.

Stop passing your biased opinions and dodgy predictions off as facts.

Errr.......!!

BTW; who's 'we?' Thai residents who earn in Baht and have their investments in Luxemburg and other EU tax havens?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

I read somewhere on this forum that the UK will soon have the ability to admit only well schooled Europeans, such as nurses and doctors from Romenia.

That will solve Transam's problem of rif raf drunk Europeans, pissing at his door.

Great!

That is what development aid should be about!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Has the last throw been made already? Barnier has gone back to report his failure. Let's hope he's ready for No Deal.

image.png.574d4a2e397d7714d63454e8414745e1.png

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1369808/Michel-Barnier-Brexit-statement-speech-latest-update-meeting-David-Frost-Tuesday

Whos failure ? 

lol you are so entertaining - your clueless hero who constantly bleats he’s leaving without a deal just keeps turning up - how weird is that ? But then he’s boxing someone SIX times his size !! 

There will be a deal - even Boris de waffle Johnson isn’t stupid enough to walk away without a deal ! Right now he will be losing a lot more sleep than Barnier - appeasement to Sun readers isn’t going to keep him in a job and he will be fully aware of that! 

Edited by Bruntoid
Shockingly bad grammar!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Has the last throw been made already? Barnier has gone back to report his failure. Let's hope he's ready for No Deal.

image.png.574d4a2e397d7714d63454e8414745e1.png

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1369808/Michel-Barnier-Brexit-statement-speech-latest-update-meeting-David-Frost-Tuesday

You really should have learnt by now to read the whole article before posting the headline here!

Had you done so, you would know how your comment bears no relationship to the articles contents.

In fact, in this case not even the headline does!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Irish problem solved in principal ....the J.Biden effect has worked ...USA influance worked magicly ????

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-northern-ireland-protocol-latest-b1767989.html

The EU and the UK have agreed a deal “in principle” on the fraught issue of the Northern Ireland border, after months of confusion about how the Brexit withdrawal agreement should be implemented.

Under the agreement, the British government has agreed to withdraw clauses from its taxation and internal market bills that would have breached international law by giving it the power to unilaterally overwrite the treaty.

awesome, Boris is already starting to surrender to EU requirements ????

Edited by GrandPapillon