Time to move on, maybe?

Well, 10 years in Thailand, turning 50 this month and married to a Thai, but I do not have the bank balance to extend the current marriage visa nor get a retirement visa. I also had some setbacks and thus only 8 direct deposits, not the 12 required.

Maybe it is time to move to Philippines. What are the current regulations to get from Thailand to Phils?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laos is about $650 per year for a business visa, work permit and local ID card.  No requirement to show any funds in the bank, or indeed, show anything at all except your passport.....  Actually, I have never even met an immigration or police official, except on my initial entry into the country at Nong Khai.

Although the borders are closed due to Covid, you can gain entry with your business visa, quarantine etc.  I moved here from Thailand in 2019 and am very happy here ????

19 hours ago, SailingHome said:

Well, 10 years in Thailand, turning 50 this month and married to a Thai, but I do not have the bank balance to extend the current marriage visa nor get a retirement visa. I also had some setbacks and thus only 8 direct deposits, not the 12 required.

Maybe it is time to move to Philippines. What are the current regulations to get from Thailand to Phils?

15,000 can fix

To the OP: You don't say what your home country is.  Presuming it is in Europe, North America or Australasia, at your age, and unless you are highly qualified, employment options are going to be few. There is also the cost of getting to another country to consider, with or without your wife. Many have found that, when they relocated, they simply take their problems, financial or otherwise, with them.

Clearly, you need to think your options through very carefully. If you have been able to survive in Thailand this long on slender resources, a modest up-front payment to an agent may be the way to go.  It will also buy you enough time to reach a proper, possibly creative decision on your future.  It is possible you are only half-way through your life, and have another 50 years ahead of you. Think about it!

19 hours ago, SailingHome said:

it's more fun in the Philippines

4 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

right now its dead like anywhere else but pre-covid,  Manila was fun

I'd think Angeles City or Subic Area a bit cheaper and layed back. For a newbie I think Manilla would be high stress.

9 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

What do you consider to be "fun" ?

I'm single so just use your imagination..pinay girls are sweet.the new generation speaks as good if not better  than me. Venues are modern, weather is good, beaches are clean and only 7000 islands.. to me that's fun

20 hours ago, SailingHome said:

I do not have the bank balance to extend the current marriage visa nor get a retirement visa.

If you haven't got the funds for that than you won't have any funds to move Anywhere.

Only option is an Agent and maybe next year you may have the funds for a Marriage extension  THB 400 K that's only Half of the retirement extension .

That's If you're still married than.

20 hours ago, SailingHome said:

Well, 10 years in Thailand, turning 50 this month

So you came here at 39-40 with what you thought was enough funds to last you for 27--29 years before the reduced pension kicked in....but they only lasted 10

Have you thought about a "Go-Fund" me page? ....there are some very creative people on here that could help you set it up..... maybe along the lines of Can you help--.."All my money went on Sin-Sot" or.....no one told me not to build a house on Papa's land.....etc

Anyway you must have had some fun at that age---- so you have got the memories, and whatever steps you now take--- you gave it a shot , so Good luck in the future.

Try to stay here until the weather is warmer back home

43 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

I'm single so just use your imagination..pinay girls are sweet.the new generation speaks as good if not better  than me. Venues are modern, weather is good, beaches are clean and only 7000 islands.. to me that's fun

The food is far away from fun. Too many girls are seeking a guy who takes the whole clan back home to the country of origin.

The Philippines is less developed than Thailand. Many kids are living on the street and rob foreigners. No country for old men, methinks. 

I should be more specific. From USA and have a good disability pension. I live very well on it in Thailand, and spent a year in Phils in Tangub and Cebu. 

Normally, extending my marriage visa is no issue, but without 400k in the bank and the missing direct deposits due to bank errors, I can not renew nor convert to retirement.

USA is not quality living for me.

Please PM or post if you know an agent. 

14 hours ago, techietraveller84 said:

Not going to consider Laos or Cambodia?

Once the Covid-19 pandemic is over and borders re-open, may I suggest Cambodia. Getting a visa is so simple and no bureaucratic paperwork or financial requirements as in Thailand. What the future holds is uncertain, but the routine was as follows. You get an ORDINARY E (not tourist ) visa on entry - land or air ($35). This is valid one month. During this period, and having found accommodation, you must register on the FPCS app. (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System) - the onus is on your landlord/landlady etc. to do this not you (mention it to them). Towards the visa's expiry date, go to an official visa agent. There are many of them associated with travel agents. You do not deal with Immigration Offices as all applications are processed in Phnom Penh via these agents. For a 1 year extension, you present your passport, $290 (9,000 baht) and a copy of the "contact" page from the FPCS app. You receive a receipt. The documentation is sent to Phnom Penh and your passport with the new visa will be returned to your agent within 10 working days. That is it, you DO NOT have to show bank details of any kind, proof of income or any other bureaucratic documentation - totally hassle free! If you are 55 years old or older, you can apply for a retirement (ER) visa. If younger, you can apply for an EB (EOS) extension of stay visa. The onus is on you having the financial means to pay for a visa and support yourself in Cambodia.

For further reference:-

Currently, a one-month EB extension costs $50, three months is $80, six months is $160, and one year is $290 when purchased through an agent.

Not possible to come to the Philippines at the moment. Only if you are married to a Pinay AND the wife must travel with you. Husbands not allowed to come to visit wife. Covid-19 test at the airport. 2 days quarantine in a pre booked hotel. If result negative, free to go, otherwise another 14 days quarantine 

The O.P. wants to bring his Thai wife along, or not?

Depending on the size of his pension there are probably multiple decent options in Latin America, but not sure how a Thai wife could be included with that.

In general, whether it's wise for them or not, Latin America is opening up a lot faster than Asia.

Archived