Time to move on, maybe?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Once the Covid-19 pandemic is over and borders re-open, may I suggest Cambodia. Getting a visa is so simple and no bureaucratic paperwork or financial requirements as in Thailand. What the future holds is uncertain, but the routine was as follows. You get an ORDINARY E (not tourist ) visa on entry - land or air ($35). This is valid one month. During this period, and having found accommodation, you must register on the FPCS app. (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System) - the onus is on your landlord/landlady etc. to do this not you (mention it to them). Towards the visa's expiry date, go to an official visa agent. There are many of them associated with travel agents. You do not deal with Immigration Offices as all applications are processed in Phnom Penh via these agents. For a 1 year extension, you present your passport, $290 (9,000 baht) and a copy of the "contact" page from the FPCS app. You receive a receipt. The documentation is sent to Phnom Penh and your passport with the new visa will be returned to your agent within 10 working days. That is it, you DO NOT have to show bank details of any kind, proof of income or any other bureaucratic documentation - totally hassle free! If you are 55 years old or older, you can apply for a retirement (ER) visa. If younger, you can apply for an EB (EOS) extension of stay visa. The onus is on you having the financial means to pay for a visa and support yourself in Cambodia.

For further reference:-

Currently, a one-month EB extension costs $50, three months is $80, six months is $160, and one year is $290 when purchased through an agent.

Oh lordy, you're totally out of touch with reality. It's not that simple. Purchase this, purchase that. Those times are over. To get a yearlong EB EOS, you MUST present a work permit which in turn can only be obtained by obtaining documents that prove gainful employment. The employer's patent tax records must be shown. If you are self-employed, you must submit the same patent tax documents which immigration counter-checks with the General Department of Taxation in Phnom Penh.

No such thing as "purchasing" through an agent. You apply for a visa or you apply for an extension of stay, irrespective of whether you do it yourself or via an agent. Very denigrating and insulting to express the EOS acquisition procedure as something like buying a loaf of bread! You apply for it and unless your documents are in order, it will not be granted.

38 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

45 K???? What do you get for 45K, three year retirement extensions? ????

1 Visa and 1 extension , the price has risen recently and it also depends on whether you have a condo rental agreement (not having one costs extra) .

I believe they were offered cheaper from Pattaya , but the cost would had worked out the same had travel and accommodation been added 

Let me get this straight. 

The guy is almost 50, doesn't have a pot to pee in and he's still being advised to go to another third world country? 

Nothing wrong with being broke and as a matter of fact I have been severely (financially) impacted by this covid nonsense. However my next plan would be to go back home. If you weren't able to save the absolute minimum during your financial prime then how do you think the next 10 years is going to be like? 

Tip. It only gets worse. 

17 minutes ago, Pravda said:

The guy is almost 50, doesn't have a pot to pee in and he's still being advised to go to another third world country? 

Nothing wrong with being broke and as a matter of fact I have been severely (financially) impacted by this covid nonsense. However my next plan would be to go back home. If you weren't able to save the absolute minimum during your financial prime then how do you think the next 10 years is going to be like? 

Tip. It only gets worse. 

It may be even more expensive to live in his home Country

51 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

It may be even more expensive to live in his home Country

If he is from a half civilised country he will at least get some benefits and won't have to worry about visas.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Tip. It only gets worse. 

There are pros and cons to these kinds of decisions and they are very dependent on a person's specific situation. You can't really generalize. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

There are pros and cons to these kinds of decisions and they are very dependent on a person's specific situation. You can't really generalize. 

Not really. Only if you choose to ignore the truth. I am on my borrowed time in Thailand but only because my wife still does well for herself. If I'm going to be bleeding money every month - spending more than I make, Thailand or SE Asia is the last place I want to be in. I'm not in my 30's anymore. 

Unless the OP expect the inheritance. 

39 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Not really. Only if you choose to ignore the truth. I am on my borrowed time in Thailand but only because my wife still does well for herself. If I'm going to be bleeding money every month - spending more than I make, Thailand or SE Asia is the last place I want to be in. I'm not in my 30's anymore. 

Unless the OP expect the inheritance. 

You actually proved my point for me. You talk about your specific circumstances and how they are driving your specific decisions. If you hadn't already noticed, not everyone is you.

18 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Walk into your nearest school. They're all dying for farang teachers. Be sure it's somewhat decent to pay the minimum 40k a month you'll need for Non-O based on marriage.

"Reach for the power, teach." - Edward James Olmos

Most schools would want him on a Non-B. That's too complicated for them. 

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Tip. It only gets worse. 

A little accident, or illness and the shi_e will hit the fan. 

5 hours ago, mvdf said:

Oh lordy, you're totally out of touch with reality. It's not that simple. Purchase this, purchase that. Those times are over. To get a yearlong EB EOS, you MUST present a work permit which in turn can only be obtained by obtaining documents that prove gainful employment. The employer's patent tax records must be shown. If you are self-employed, you must submit the same patent tax documents which immigration counter-checks with the General Department of Taxation in Phnom Penh.

No such thing as "purchasing" through an agent. You apply for a visa or you apply for an extension of stay, irrespective of whether you do it yourself or via an agent. Very denigrating and insulting to express the EOS acquisition procedure as something like buying a loaf of bread! You apply for it and unless your documents are in order, it will not be granted.

My apologies regarding the EOS visa and for any confusion. However for an ER (retirement) visa it is so simple to apply for, as I stated. I have recently renewed mine for another year for $289. 

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Once the Covid-19 pandemic is over and borders re-open, may I suggest Cambodia. Getting a visa is so simple and no bureaucratic paperwork or financial requirements as in Thailand. What the future holds is uncertain, but the routine was as follows. You get an ORDINARY E (not tourist ) visa on entry - land or air ($35). This is valid one month. During this period, and having found accommodation, you must register on the FPCS app. (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System) - the onus is on your landlord/landlady etc. to do this not you (mention it to them). Towards the visa's expiry date, go to an official visa agent. There are many of them associated with travel agents. You do not deal with Immigration Offices as all applications are processed in Phnom Penh via these agents. For a 1 year extension, you present your passport, $290 (9,000 baht) and a copy of the "contact" page from the FPCS app. You receive a receipt. The documentation is sent to Phnom Penh and your passport with the new visa will be returned to your agent within 10 working days. That is it, you DO NOT have to show bank details of any kind, proof of income or any other bureaucratic documentation - totally hassle free! If you are 55 years old or older, you can apply for a retirement (ER) visa. If younger, you can apply for an EB (EOS) extension of stay visa. The onus is on you having the financial means to pay for a visa and support yourself in Cambodia.

For further reference:-

Currently, a one-month EB extension costs $50, three months is $80, six months is $160, and one year is $290 when purchased through an agent.

I have considered it and am looking in to it. If anything, Laos and Cambodia can be be a good 2 month holiday to get enough direct deposits then come back to Thailand.

Don't look for COVID issues to go away any time soon. LOL. Does Laos or Cambodia have quarantine on entry?

34 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

I have considered it and am looking in to it. If anything, Laos and Cambodia can be be a good 2 month holiday to get enough direct deposits then come back to Thailand.

Don't look for COVID issues to go away any time soon. LOL. Does Laos or Cambodia have quarantine on entry?

Laos quarantines and only those with business visas can enter at the present time - no tourists.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

My apologies regarding the EOS visa and for any confusion. However for an ER (retirement) visa it is so simple to apply for, as I stated. I have recently renewed mine for another year for $289. 

Did you pay that to an agent? Can you please explain that? That's roughly 9,000 baht. 

Maybe I should set the record straight...

???? I want to be in Thailand the remainder of my life

???? I am in no way broke. I simply messed up getting all 12 direct deposits and my savings dipped down because I needed surgery. My current marriage extension ends on 27 Dec so I either have to find a way to stay 4 more months (by then would have 12 direct deposits) or I have to move on. My DISABILITY pension is quite high and I live a simple life here easily adding to savings monthly.

???? Being disabled, healing from a surgery, and living in BKK, the taking of a holiday to Pattaya to use an agent for a retirement visa is not really a reasonable option, nor is going to work as a teacher or anything else.

???? My wife and I are great friends, and we can stay married or not. We have no financial ties, she travels a lot for her business, and I live alone. I plan to remarry some day and so does she.

???? Moving back to USA would give me poor quality of life IE cost, no car, no way to save money, etc. It is a starry-eyed dream to think of enjoying life there especially under COVID conditions.

Thanks everyone! I seem to have enough info now to start managing this situation.

Also, one of the moderators suggested a normal immigration office method to get enough legal extensions until I can show enough direct deposits.

Still... I really am considering that Philippines may be best for me long term because my church is far more established there, English speaking, more social abilities, and find a good wife of the same faith..

My friends in the PI wish they were here. Hard to travel around now, with an average of 1,500 new Covid cases a day. 

For me personally, I can think of at least ten reasons why I prefer Thailand over the PI. The only reason to live there is the women. According to most.

Conversely, right now is a great time to travel within Thailand. 

Maybe a more creative approach to the visa?

1 hour ago, SailingHome said:

My wife and I are great friends, and we can stay married or not. We have no financial ties, she travels a lot for her business, and I live alone. I plan to remarry some day and so does she

???? Thats the very first time in my life that I have heard someone say that and its not often you hear something said for the very first time, these days ????

13 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

???? Thats the very first time in my life that I have heard someone say that and its not often you hear something said for the very first time, these days ????

She is a very amazing person. In fact, I know a lot of expats that are very happy... we tend to post about problems more than happinesses.

In fact, I have found most Thai people that are modest and of sobriety to be extremely generous, caring, do not want or expect anything in return, etc. An expat has to have the right motives and healthy boundaries to avoid the woes we read about here.

We reap what we sow. I had a lot of problems until I took a good emotional inventory and learned boundaries. Now I meet a lot of great Thai women, and also consult on mental health and life coaching.

3 hours ago, SailingHome said:

Does Laos or Cambodia have quarantine on entry?

Cambodia certainly has - 14 days which has recently been introduced due to "hot spot" infections in Phnom Penh.

For reference:-

• All foreign nationals wishing to travel to Cambodia must:
  1. Obtain a visa from Cambodian Embassies abroad;
  2. Present a medical certificate certifying a negative COVID-19 test not longer than 72 hours prior to departure by a recognised authority in his/her home country;
  3. Undergo mandatory 14-day quarantine in designated hotels set by the Cambodian Ministry of Health at the cost of US$60-US$75 per night. COVID-19 tests will be administered at the airport upon arrival and on the 13th day of quarantine;
  4. Provide a US$2,000 deposit upon arrival (from which costs for the quarantine, COVID-19 tests, and any COVID-19 related treatment will be deducted); and
  5. Purchase US$90 COVID-19 medical insurance from Forte Insurance (https://www.forteinsurance.com).
  • There is no longer a sponsored visitors category 

On 12/9/2020 at 9:25 PM, SailingHome said:

Well, 10 years in Thailand, turning 50 this month and married to a Thai, but I do not have the bank balance to extend the current marriage visa nor get a retirement visa. I also had some setbacks and thus only 8 direct deposits, not the 12 required.

Maybe it is time to move to Philippines. What are the current regulations to get from Thailand to Phils?

Oh use an agent

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Did you pay that to an agent? Can you please explain that? That's roughly 9,000 baht. 

Yes, the recent renewal of my retirement visa (ER) cost me $289 in cash paid to my agent recommended by Cambodian Immigration (FPCS Office) in Siem Reap, which is very helpful (It does not issue visas, only advice). I live in Siem Reap, but if one lives in Phnom Penh you can apply for, or renew, a visa at the main Immigration Office where visa applications from agents around the country are processed. For reference:-

A 12-month multiple-entry visa costs $275 to $300, depending on the fee added by the agent 

$290 - $300 is normally the going rate.

As of now PH doesn't seem to be an easy option unless you can get some sort of visa from a local embassy. Least you can do is contact them. I have heard they are helpful to people who want to move out of Thailand.

Some advise:-

1. Dont worry about a "thai wife". They all have a backup plan. They never go hungry.

2. You will find a PH wife/GF on your way to the hotel. May be you can meet someone just at the airport. Happened to a friend.

3. PH girls are better than the thais in every aspect. 

4. Be ready to pay for the family issues. It's the same over there too.

5. Good English , so you won't have issues communicating with the new "wife".

Note: If things are not working out in TH, make an exit plan asap. But don't tell you "thai wife" about it. You don't want to be stabbed. 

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

A 12-month multiple-entry visa costs $275 to $300, depending on the fee added by the agent 

$290 - $300 is normally the going rate.

Remember meeting an elderly european in PP bar. He was too happy that the travel agent got him a one year retirement visa for 300USD cash. He bought me a cold angkor too while he was bragging how happy he is after moving to Cambodia. He did mention that there are no issues like 90 day reports and re entry permit. He could travel in and out of Cambodia as he wants. 

1 minute ago, lovethai123 said:

no issues like 90 day reports and re entry permit. He could travel in and out of Cambodia as he wants. 

Yes, absolutely correct. No such thing as a 90 day reports, once you get your visa (1 year ER in my case), no further involvement with Immigration until next renewal. The visa also includes "multiple re-entries" printed on the visa and included in the fee. 

Archived