Time to move on, maybe?

3 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

I never tried to have a long term visa. I wouldn't live in a country which constantly harass people of color and consider their own poor and marginalized citizens (isaan people) as sub-humans. 

But besides all that obfuscation, you're not alone in being unable to either qualify for or even afford a long term visa.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

That is your horrid opinion... the Isaan people I know complain far less than you do and I have never heard or seen anyone talk of them as sub-human... other than you now. 

And your post makes no sense - do you not live here now? 

You are pretty negative - I don't think I live in the same Thailand as you do... that happens. 

I have never lived there, I would never ever live in a country like thailand where anyone whose skin is darker is considered subhuman.

They have denied citizen ship to the mountain dwellers up north as most of them can't speak thai.They claim the land as their territory but deny rights to the people who inhabit it. That is again a complicated issue .

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But besides all that obfuscation, you're not alone in being unable to either qualify for or even afford a long term visa.

marriage visa is the possibility for me but if i move to thailand , it means i will leave all my money, contacts, friends, properties, land back in the home country and would live in a rented condo somewhere near a beach. I would also become an alcoholic if I live in Thailand. 

That life seems allright too, but I don't want that some cop stops me and asks me to show my passport only because I don't have a fair skin. It has happened with me before at ekkamai bus station in bangkok . I was the only person of color and the cop made me show my passport. It was quite embarassing. 

I agree that a lot of people of my country work illegally in thailand( restaurants, money lending)., lot of them have done fake marriages in thailand and pay their way to live in thailand permanently. But I was just a regular tourist who fell in love with an innocent bar girl and started visiting often after that. But measuring someone on the same scale is wrong. 

23 hours ago, SailingHome said:

???? I am in no way broke. I simply messed up getting all 12 direct deposits and my savings dipped down because I needed surgery. My current marriage extension ends on 27 Dec so I either have to find a way to stay 4 more months (by then would have 12 direct deposits) or I have to move on. My DISABILITY pension is quite high and I live a simple life here easily adding to savings monthly.

@ubonjoe- what do you think? As I see things he could certainly apply for a 60-day extension to visit his wife, which should then enable him to make 2 more deposits. However, could he then apply for a further 60-day COVID extension to cover the remaining 2 deposits he needs to make?

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

For decades, the ethnically and linguistically diverse people of Isan, Thailand, have been the subject of pervasive bias, often described as docile and uneducated, or as “unsophisticated peasants” who can be bought and manipulated by ambitious politicians.

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2019/06/16/thailands-inequality-unpacking-the-myths-and-reality-of-isan/

sounds like a national geographic special... and a rather old account, [for decades]... not very current. 

39 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

I have never lived there, I would never ever live in a country like thailand where anyone whose skin is darker is considered subhuman.

They have denied citizen ship to the mountain dwellers up north as most of them can't speak thai.They claim the land as their territory but deny rights to the people who inhabit it. That is again a complicated issue .

So, where do you get your info from? I know many many many hill people who are citizens... Though darker skin is not considered beautiful, they are NOT considered sub human - that is totally ridiculous, as is much of what you contend... I have family members that speak Northern Thai, and have all the rights of anyone else... you seem incredibly mis-informed... 

38 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

I was the only person of color and the cop made me show my passport.

Do you think that has never happened to white people? I have had black friends retire here and never have a problem... I have had black friends visit and never have a problem... I have had 1 black friend visit who had your beliefs and he made problems for himself everywhere he went... it's more abt being an a-hole than the color of your skin... 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Do you think that has never happened to white people? I have had black friends retire here and never have a problem... I have had black friends visit and never have a problem... I have had 1 black friend visit who had your beliefs and he made problems for himself everywhere he went... it's more abt being an a-hole than the color of your skin... 

depends on person to person. I am saying what I have witnessed. Thais don't like anyone who has a color. But its allright as my countrymen avoid marrying girls who are darker as well. ????????

This craziness about skin color is never going to stop. The lighter shades are considered more desirable in many societies but the hottest girl I ever met in Thailand told me her daddy is ALAB and she had a great dark skin. I expressed my desire to "go with me" but she said she has 3 bf's( white, white, malaysian)  and she doesn't need more money. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

I know many many many hill people who are citizens.... 

most of them aren't as they dont have a paper to show that they were born in thailand. i sometimes wonder that if the same law was applied everywhere, a big bunch of those in power circles(ethnically chinese) wouldn't be citizens. leave alone them being in the govt. ????????

26 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Thais don't like anyone who has a color.

I don't see that they don't like them, though I do see that it is not considered beautiful... dark skin comes from working outdoor in the fields so it has become sort of a class marker... 

different things are beautiful to different people. I think white skin is not very attractive and dark skin is beautiful... but really, personality and temperament are far more important in the long run.  

My wife is darker skinned but she gets along fine as she is kind, competent, helpful and pleasant. 

30 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

most of them aren't as they dont have a paper to show that they were born in thailand

Sure for some but I think a small percent... most all that I know were born here and are legal... and I know a lot of hill people. I have been coming here since 1974... 

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, that is what I do from Laos.  I'm an online science teacher ????

Can you do this without being taxed in Laos? For example, in Thailand if your income is overseas and you bring some into Thailand in the next (as opposed to current) tax year it is not subject to tax. 

The other question is what is their internet like, is the service good? I spent a week in Vientiane a while back and really liked it, particularly the French bakeries, which was an unusual surprise. And Beer Lao, my favourite in South East Asia.

Thank you Simon.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:43 AM, kenk24 said:

So, where do you get your info from? I know many many many hill people who are citizens... Though darker skin is not considered beautiful, they are NOT considered sub human - that is totally ridiculous, as is much of what you contend... I have family members that speak Northern Thai, and have all the rights of anyone else... you seem incredibly mis-informed... 

Hmm, not quite sure i agree with you here.

My wife is college educated, grew up in Chicago and is as American as I am, but looks wise she is very clearly Issan Lao.

When we were getting married she went shopping with her sister in an upscale store in Bangkok for a wedding dress.

Now my wife and her sister were talking in Lao, just to aggravate things I guess, but the shop girl insisted on inspecting her hands to ensure she wasn't a farmer before she would help her!

My wife then unloaded in English to express exactly what she thought of this jumped up kid. I was also about to wade in, I speak Thai, but by that point my wife was fully riled up, told me to shut up and continued her verbal assault on this idiot in Thai 

If I were were you, I'd reassess your understanding of how Bangkokians, especially the Sino Thai's view their fellow citizens!

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

she went shopping with her sister in an upscale store in Bangkok for a wedding dress

Actually - I have heard other stories like this in high end shops... that even with money, they seem not to be desired customers - which as a former biz owner is startling to me... but you are correct, this does happen...

AND in USA too.. one of my employees, a college grad school student, well-spoken, nicely dressed, carries himself well, went into a higher end artsy type shop to get a gift for his mother... the owner looked at him, told him to go give blood and come back. 

AND in my 20s as a hippy type, I was not welcome in stores in 'classy' Princeton NJ... 

There is going to be a hopefully small % of pomp out there.. you are correct. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Actually - I have heard other stories like this in high end shops... that even with money, they seem not to be desired customers - which as a former biz owner is startling to me... but you are correct, this does happen...

AND in USA too.. one of my employees, a college grad school student, well-spoken, nicely dressed, carries himself well, went into a higher end artsy type shop to get a gift for his mother... the owner looked at him, told him to go give blood and come back. 

AND in my 20s as a hippy type, I was not welcome in stores in 'classy' Princeton NJ... 

There is going to be a hopefully small % of pomp out there.. you are correct. 

We had a similar experience when my wife was shopping for an overpriced handbag on the Champs-Élysées in Paris, dressed in her signature cheap denim shorts and t-shirt.

All the snooty sales girls totally ignored her, concentrating on the well dressed tyre kickers who had no intention of buying anything.

She noticed, who she took to be, the store manager drifting through the store with his entourage in tow then stopped him and asked if they actually sold handbags and if so how could she actually get served, unlike his enourage, he smiled and she was served pretty quickly, the experience was rather like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

Why pretentious saleswomen?
Because they ignored a person dressed as if they were going to the beach or emptying their trash, who was walking in a luxury store ????
In France, there are still dress codes to be respected.
And it is not necessary to wear luxury clothes or jewelry, but to have the correct outfit.
Now, if your wife wanted to provoke and highlight the fact that she was badly received, Julia ROBERS is not who will.

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:

the well dressed tyre kickers who had no intention of buying anything.

When I was an antiques dealer, the well dressed rarely bought anything - it was the wholesale buyers who were wearing a ripped jacket and had a briefcase full of cash... 

• 1 month later...

Archived