Construction Worker Rapes Sleeping 17 Year Old......

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: May 6th 2007

Worker Rapes Girl Then Asks Her To Marry Him

A construction worker was arrested at 2.30 am on 5th May after he sneaked into a young woman’s room at a construction site on Sukhumvit Road, North Pattaya and raped her.

The 17 year old stated to police that she has worked at this construction site for 15 days since she has some relatives there. That night her relatives did overtime work and as she wasn’t feeling well, she went to the room to sleep.

While she was sleeping, Somjet Phongjetsuphan, aged 27, sneaked in and raped her. When she told her relatives about this, they talked to the head of the construction workers and the head called over Somjet.

Adding insult to injury he begged them not to tell the police and promised that he would be responsible for the girl by asking her to marry him. Unfortunately for him the girl refused his offer and so her family reported him to the police.

Somjet confessed to the police that he did rape the girl and was taken back to the police station for punishment.

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies if this has already been covered. From Pattaya Today.

"A rather strange how-do-you-do A 17 year old victim of unsolicited intercourse has had an offer to tie the conjugal knot by a man who forced himself on her. The young woman told Banglamung police she had taken up residence at a construction worker's site, where she was employed, with the intention of sending home to Nong Kai regular payments to her hard pressed family. Other relatives were also employed at the site performing manual work at a housing estate.

On May 4, the lady explained to her boss she was not feeling well and retired to her shack to rest and recuperate. The next she knew Mr Somchart Pongjaysoopan, aged 27 and a fellow worker, entered and explained he lived her. She replied she was not well and tried to fight him off, alas without success. Later, she reported the sordid incident to her other relatives. Her father Mr Somjet then brokered a meeting at which the rapist agreed to pay 1,500 baht for the forced sex to be followed by a marriage to the deflowered lady. However, Mr Somjet then realised that he would have no recourse to law if the rapist never in fact carried out the bargain. So the police were called in at the last minute. It's still not entirely clear what will, or should, happen next."

Most Fathers would like their daughters to marry a Doctor or an Accountant I think. Not too many would be happy for them to marry a rapist :o

Sad isn't it.

The value placed on young people from poor backgrounds. None.

The fact that a young girl is working on a building site in the first place.

The Thai male attitude toward women. Primitive.

He thinks it is ok to rape and then offer money like she was a piece of meat for the taking.

The guy should receive proper justice.

It is likely that money will talk and the poor girls feelings will be considered inconsequential.

As with the ridiculous law of rape within marriage there is no justice for female victims in this country.

Even worse, her father was brokering the deal. Pathetic. If she was my daughter, the only deal that would be brokered with this POS is which one of my feet he wanted permanently embedded in his ass. :o

Even worse, her father was brokering the deal. Pathetic. If she was my daughter, the only deal that would be brokered with this POS is which one of my feet he wanted permanently embedded in his ass. :o

i have witnessed this happening often in isaan. apparently, (and i speak under correction), age of consent is something like 16yrs- but if the "offenders "are both of roughly the same age,-that's o.k.! if not of the same age, and the girl's parents gave their consent,-that's o.k! i was told this by a thai policeman when i asked him about legal age of consent, then quizzed him about the 14 year old girl in the village who had just given birth. he didnt seem to understand the concept of statuatory rape!-he also told me that if the girl is raped, more often than not, she is forced to marry the rapist to "save her honour" a dowry is negotiated by the parents , and,hey,presto! everybody lives happilly ever after! very,very sick, but it works for isaan!

i have always regarded women's rights activists as a bit of a joke, but thailand could do with some, and they would have my full support!

Not just Thailand - although I understand that in Issaan there are many girls under what the West would regard as a reasonable age of consent who are regularly having sex, whether willingly or not.

I worked in Libya for many years and my wife (not current) was working in the maternity hospital in Benghazi.

She reckoned that a third of her charges were about fifteen or sixteen, with the father being a close relative - brother, father, uncle, etc.

And if you went down to Kufra - about 1,000km out in the desert - the inbreeding showed in almost all the people - depressed foreheads, squints and so on.