UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Imagine if all the wine produced in France was held in UK bonded warehouses in France and the UK Government then dictated to the French people how much wine they are allowed to drink each year

I suspect that wouldn't be acceptable to the people of France

My God!

And you have been living for 45 years in this situation without even noticing? 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Yes. Clearly unacceptable. And the UK will never accept anything less than...uh oh

No 10 fishing offer to EU raises hopes of Brexit deal before Christmas

Downing Street has made a major counter-offer on fishing access for EU fleets in British waters to break the Brexit trade talks deadlock, raising hopes of a deal before Christmas.

After a difficult period of negotiations, with both sides seemingly entrenched, the UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, David Frost, is understood to have tabled a proposal that could unlock the troubled talks.

According to EU sources, the British demand for a 60% reduction in the catch by value in British waters had been reduced to 35%, far closer to the 25% reduction that Frost’s EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, had said he would be prepared to accept.

No 10 fishing offer to EU raises hopes of Brexit deal before Christmas | Brexit | The Guardian

Well when you think the Brits have been living for centuries when these waters were not even their zone. 

When it became their zone in the 1980' and after a delay of 35 years, fishing these faraway waters, 320 kilometers away suddenly became existential. 

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

“They laughed. Johnson kept smirking while answering,” said anti-Brexit campaigner Femi Oluwole. “Dont forget: Even if there's a deal, jobs will still go.”

It's quite obvious that 'jobs will still go'. You'd be a fool to think nothing will change. As well as jobs being lost new jobs will be created. Been happening forever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Do not try to teach dumb, it will drag you into endless discussions where logic and knowledge have no place.

His reply didnt make sense though, as the quality of French wine wasnt even bought into question .

He didnt understand the point being made and failed to resond to that point , just saw French wine being mentioned and replied with his prediction of what the other person read and drinks .

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Is there an E.U law which he broke ?

Is laughing/smirking an offence in Brussels ?

If it is, I on behalf of the British people offer our unfretted apologies  and we trust Mr Johnson will never smile/smirk again whist on E.U soil 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Well when you think the Brits have been living for centuries when these waters were not even their zone. 

When it became their zone in the 1980' and after a delay of 35 years, fishing these faraway waters, 320 kilometers away suddenly became existential. 

I had to check the distance between  saint pierre et miquelon and Paris it is an estminated 4,277 kilometers

I see France is used to Fishing disputes such as the Canada–France Maritime Boundary Case

In 1972, Canada and France signed a treaty that delimited the territorial maritime boundary between Canada and the French territory of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. However, the maritime boundaries beyond the territorial sea (including extent of the Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZ) of both countries) continued to be disputed. The extent of each country's EEZ was significant because it would determine where the countries had an exclusive right to fish.

The award was approximately 18% of the territory that France had initially been claiming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–France_Maritime_Boundary_Case

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/johnson-shapps-laugh-brexit-question-peston-coronavirus-briefing-b1777310.html?jwsource=cl

Is there an E.U law which he broke ?

Is laughing/smirking an offence in Brussels ?

If it is, I on behalf of the British people offer our unfretted apologies  and we trust Mr Johnson will never smile/smirk again whist on E.U soil 

Can you please explain why you are dragging the EU there? 

These are Brits writing in a British newspaper about a British politician. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I had to check the distance between  saint pierre et miquelon and Paris it is an estminated 4,277 kilometers

I see France is used to Fishing disputes such as the Canada–France Maritime Boundary Case

I appreciate as always that your posts are unlike the one/two liners of most Brexiteers here ????

Now what how does this relate to Brexit? 

We, as well as the EU, and EU countries as well have been repeating that the newly acquired Scottish and British EEZ is not contested. While Brexiteers keep on repeating that it is. 

For me the issue you could tackle with us is why did the Brits not care about fish? Why did the prioritize banking?

And why is suddenly fish all you want to talk about?

How did a world power turn into an independent coastal state? 

What do you take out of this for example?

Pause here a moment to consider what monumentally dishonest use the Brexiters make of the romance of coastal ports and fishing villages, whose 12,000 small boat fishermen are more precious for picturesque tourism than the value of their catch. True, the overall UK quota is historically unfair.

But the greater injustice by far to our fishers is our own government’s allocation of quotas to large companies. Two-thirds of the UK’s quota of fish goes to just three multinationals; boats under 10m long get just 4% though they account for 77% of fishers. A Greenpeace report found a quarter of Britain’s quota was owned by five families, all in the Sunday Times rich list.

What’s more, Britain is almost alone in allowing holders of the UK quota to sell it to foreign companies: so one Dutch ship, landing its fish in the Netherlands, had the right to catch 23% of the UK’s quota. British “slipper skippers” were allowed to put their feet up and live off the earnings from selling their quota to foreign companies. If concern for our small boat fishing fleet were really the impediment to a vital Brexit deal, the government should be getting tough on preventing this sell-off.

If Brexit was for protecting the little boats championed in a flotilla up the Thames ahead of the referendum, where’s the pledge to take the quota off the giant companies to give to them?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/21/boris-johnson-cabinet-uk-travel-ban-ministers-covid

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Can you please explain why you are dragging the EU there? 

These are Brits writing in a British newspaper about a British politician. 

Is there anything wrong with smiling/laughing/smirking ?

Is it against any rules or laws or etiquette ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How did a world power turn into an independent coastal state? 

even the "independent" is up to question : the country's debt is soaring at en incredible rate

The level of borrowing in the current financial year climbed to £241bn, up £188.6bn on the same period last year, pushing the annual deficit to 11.2% of GDP and the figure for general government gross debt to 102.8% of GDP at the end of November

what is important to understand is that one on the main assets of Britain was it national debt: in 2018 it was 85% when France was close to 100% (Germany was 60%). 

With Brexit+Covid the UK debt is now suddenly into alarming levels. And while it has the hardest hit economy in Europe, the UK cannot rely on European solidarity anymore.

Meantime, the rest of Europe can throw in a huge recovery plan in addition to national plans and raise billions to restart and restructure it's internal economy. 

For those of you who are pensioners in Thailand his will have very concrete consequences on your standard of living in the coming years, as the UK will have to pay higher borrowing rates and the pound will go further down. 

Edited by Hi from France

For me the issue you could tackle with us is why did the Brits not care about fish? Why did the prioritize banking?

And why is suddenly fish all you want to talk about?

EU /UK negotiations have nearly all been completed , the only disagreement now seems to be about fishing rights  .

That is now what its such an important topic .

I am surprised that you even had to ask that question 

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

The same applies to the E.U . 

Or hasnt Covid effected the E.U ?

You , the E.U  are going to have to bail out y, Greece etc and help them deal with the fallout from Covid 

EU countries are in an unprecedented recession too!

Some have been hit very very hard: Spain, Italy, France.. but none has been hit as hard as the UK.

The eastern Europe countries have been less hit by covid, so European solidarity is also going the other way now. Greece did pretty well actually.

And the fact the UK is out and cannot veto has allowed for unprecedented measures:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/recovery-plan-europe_en

A total of €1.8 trillion will help rebuild a post-COVID-19 Europe

Mostly, Brexit is a sad thing, but really the UK being out allows us to do much more together now

• Haha 1

Just now, Hi from France said:

Some have been hit very very hard: Spain, Italy, France.. but none has been hit as hard as the UK.

The eastern Europe countries have been less hit by covid, so European solidarity is also going the other way now. Greece did pretty well actually.

And the fact the UK is out and cannot veto has allowed for unprecedented measures:

Mostly, Brexit is a sad thing, but really the UK being out allows us to do much more together now

Finally, you are happy that the UK is no longer a member of the E.U.

It took a while , but glad we are both now in agreement 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Sunbeam, you may recall the lengths the UK took to guard its sovereign territory called the Falklands, that territory included its waters, and some paid a heavy price trying to control either.....????

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

I am happy but not overly happy 

To share a common project, I definitely think it is not possible to work with people like you, transam or Loiner. 

With Brexiteers like vinny41, I'm pretty sure we could actually work out something. 

And of course there are many Brits here who think that Brexit was a huge mistake.

Obviously I am as disappointed as they are that the Tories turned into national - populists. I hope Britain (or at least Scotland and NI) can go back and contribute to Europe with us in the future ???? 

It matters not one iota that "some Brits" on here think that Brexit was a big mistake, the majority don't and in a recent survey most 'Brits' said that if that there was another EU referendum that they would still vote leave!

You are letting your mask slip again discussing other posters, why do you do it?

Incidentally I wouldn't be surprised if you prefered London Pride and jellied eels to Bordeaux and tete de veau.????????????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

To share a common project, I definitely think it is not possible to work with people like you, transam or Loiner. 

Happy to agree with you there mon ami. We voted to leave your common but ever increasing project because we don't want to live with your rules or many of your percieved 'benefits'.

We are happy to trade freely with the whole of the world, which is what we are now beginning to do under our own laws. That the EU still wants us to capitulate to your regulations again, makes it not possible to work under people like you. Trade between us will continue, to a lesser degree of course, however under another set of WTO rules which do not come with the same unacceptable terms but are fine for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Obviously I am as disappointed as they are that the Tories turned into national - populists and we are in this catastrophy. I hope Britain (or at least Scotland and NI) can go back and contribute to Europe with us in the future ???? 

You are asking/wanting/hoping for Scotland to contribute to the E.U!!!!!!!!

Thats like asking a German to tell a joke 

• Haha 2

On 12/21/2020 at 7:00 AM, luckyluke said:

It is, in my opinion, better to have a too much pessimistic approach, than a to big optimistic one. 

For the pessimist when indeed something bad come out, he isn't surprised. 

When it appears to be good, he is happy. 

For the optimist when good come out, he isn't surprised. 

When bad, he is devastated. 

Anyway everything is about belief. 

The Law of Belief says that you do not necessarily believe what you see, but you see what you have already decided to believe. 

Personally I would rather live with hope and cheer in my heart and mind, than the depressing fear, dread and negativity of a pessimist.

• Like 1

Whilst paying more together, without UK's contributions.... Enjoy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Personally I would rather live with hope and cheer in my heart and mind, than the depressing fear, dread and negativity of a pessimist.

Shows how different we all are.

Still everyone reach its own happiness in the way he decided to go threw live.

No way is better, or worse.

Everything is relative.

56 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You are asking/wanting/hoping for Scotland to contribute to the E.U!!!!!!!!

Thats like asking a German to tell a joke 

Try asking a Brexiteer to do better than an un-sourced one-liner, it's a bit harder than that, I guess.. 

Now I'm not finding the poll, but I remember a majority of tory voters in England are favorable to Scottish independence. Like you seem to be, they do not like the them much.. 

7 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Try asking a Brexiteer to do better than an un-sourced one-liner, it's a bit harder than that, I guess.. 

Now I'm not finding the poll, but I remember a majority of tory voters in England are favorable to Scottish independence. Like you seem to be, they do not like the them much.. 

No, not me, I have nothing against Scots and would prefer to keep the UK as it is and I prefer it if the Irish can come to an agreement and not revert back to any hostilities