SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?  

430 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, khunkarl said:

Well once in the country I seriously doubt vaccination will be mandatory.. And I kind of took it for granted that the question was about those foreigners arriving from abroad. But for those arriving it most likely will be mandatory, once the vaccine is widely available. I'm sure the quarantine option will be available for a forseeable future too. In my own situation coming and leaving there is no other option than a vaccine.

Oh I'm quite sure that vaccination will be mandatory for those entering the country and wisely so. Thailand seems to have the situation well under control so there's no point in jeopardizing the gains they have made.

Actually I think you're right, the question was aimed at those planning to travel to the country. But I don't take much interest in surveys, so I never read that part. ????

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:37 PM, rioD said:

The U.S hasn't began vaccinating and the CDC figures for flu shot effectiveness annually are 29%.  COVID vaccinations are new, rushed and possibly dangerous for those reasons. Remember there is NO cure for the flu, common cold and many other common ailments.  Do you really believe some group will miraculously develop a cure for COVID on the 1st try LOL.  If so I have a beachfront house in Kansas I'd love to sell you sight unseen.

I agree with you, but there are lots of other companies working on vaccines that work by several different pathways. Some even testing drugs repurposed from other illnesses such as cancer. Some of these might work and will also be coming to market soon. (There is big money to be made for the pharma that gets it right).

As 2021 progresses there will be more and more potential vaccines out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I agree with you, but there are lots of other companies working on vaccines that work by several different pathways. Some even testing drugs repurposed from other illnesses such as cancer. Some of these might work and will also be coming to market soon. (There is big money to be made for the pharma that gets it right).

You got that right "big money to be made....." 

Many people believe that the pharma companies have your interests in mind and it has nothing to do with the bottom-line - - - the very reason the big push is on to get something out into the market place, proven or unproven - doesn't really matter provided the "authorities" give it the greenlight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunkarl said:

Well once in the country I seriously doubt vaccination will be mandatory.. And I kind of took it for granted that the question was about those foreigners arriving from abroad. But for those arriving it most likely will be mandatory, once the vaccine is widely available. I'm sure the quarantine option will be available for a forseeable future too. In my own situation coming and leaving there is no other option than a vaccine.

There is many reasons for most people to vaccinate even inside country already, since the more of the population living here do take the vaccin, the more restraint the population will be for new massive outbreaks, even there obvious have not been such in Thailand yet. When at least 50 - 70 % is vaccinated, it will be easy to controll, and life can go on as normal. Numbers shows in wester world   that most likely 40% - 50% of population will not vaccinate themself volountery. 

Just an random link of more same alike from other countries. 

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' willingness to be vaccinated against COVID-19 rebounded a bit in October, as seen in Gallup polling conducted before Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna made promising announcements about the likely effectiveness of their coronavirus vaccines. Fifty-eight percent of Americans in the latest poll say they would get a COVID-19 vaccine, up from a low of 50% in September."

https://news.gallup.com/poll/325208/americans-willing-covid-vaccine.aspx

9 hours ago, RR2020 said:

The individual EU member nations do not have to wait for a common EU (the state) approval. They can go it alone but the EU (the state) will hang all sorts of caveats and suggestions of unspoken penalties that they ultimately cannot enforce on individual EU sovereign states. Even Merkel has only suggested it would be nice if 'we' could all wait but ultimately, the EU (the state) cannot legislate this.

The EU (the state) have 'forbidden' the individual EU member nation's leaders from meeting with Johnson or representatives from the UK's Brexit negotiators. If Macron wasn't so far up his personal sh*t creek back home, he would be glad-handing with Boris in a New York minute. However, he's between the proverbial rock and a hard spot and isn't desperate enough (yet) to worry about sh*tting in his EU (the state) bed. The EU (the state) is scared that Johnson would be making all sorts of one-on-one deals.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:13 AM, Scott said:

With the FDA approving Emergency use of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine and with the UK already administering it, in your opinion, should foreigners entering Thailand be required to show proof of vaccination once it is widely available?

I think the question is poorly formulated.

Why should only foreigners be required to get the vaccine to enter Thailand?

It should be:
people that weren't vaccinated (Thai and foreign) => quarantine
people that were vaccinated (Thai and foreign) => whatever else they decide to do with vaccinated people

6 hours ago, khunkarl said:

Traveling to Norway and having documentation of antibodies not older than 6 months entitles international arrivals exempt from a 10 days mandatory quarantine. Allegedly the antibodies for Covid-19 does not last longer. So in the long run a vaccine outruns antibodies.

Sort of like kids playing doctors and nurses with, "I'll show you my antibodies if you show me yours."?

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Credo said:

How a country deals with its own citizens is different from how it deals with foreigners wishing to enter.  Thais have a right to return to their own country.   They can't be refused entrance.   Foreigners do not have a right to enter the country.   

which is totally irrelevant regarding the procedures they have to follow after being granted entry.

Edited by tgw

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

It is known that all coronaviruses constantly mutate the vaccine here within a few months they will become useless in stopping the covid.

Not useless, just less effective. Plus remember there are different strains.  As such then there will need to be multiple different Covid vaccines, much like the different Flu strains and different vaccines given in all the different parts of the world.  Still want to have an antibody test to see if I have any natural antibodies before deciding which vaccine to take when the day comes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Credo said:

How a country deals with its own citizens is different from how it deals with foreigners wishing to enter.  Thais have a right to return to their own country.   They can't be refused entrance.   Foreigners do not have a right to enter the country.   

Yes, but Thais arriving here also have to go into quarantine.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not useless, just less effective. Plus remember there are different strains.  As such then there will need to be multiple different Covid vaccines, much like the different Flu strains and different vaccines given in all the different parts of the world.  Still want to have an antibody test to see if I have any natural antibodies before deciding which vaccine to take when the day comes.

While there are thousands of mutations already, those that result in strains that proliferate widely are just a few. The newly detected strain in the UK may still be handled by the current crop of vaccines. Some there are looking to see whether this new one is the reason for the current surge. How about Thailand?

In the eventuality that a strain appears that circumvents the immunity of currently nearly approved vaccines, there are around 200 in the pipeline. Hopefully enough will go through trials to be ready as backups to encircle or block a virulent new strain, stop it in its tracks.

Even after vaccinations have reached a good part of the population, we still need to keep watching at the borders and in the clinics for vaccinated people shedding the virus! It will take time to learn whether people can carry and transmit the virus even though they are protected from serious illness.

Seems like the best idea for the return of tourism. For the travellers without vaccination, they could quarantine in ASQ instead. But right now really with these selfish people sneaking across the Myanmar border and bringing covid back to Thailand, the main focus should be in stopping that first. 

On 12/13/2020 at 1:01 PM, vandeventer said:

I think this is a catch 22 problem. When your 70 or older it is better that we get this vaccine because the virus hurts us the most in our age group, and the way that it spreads we would be passing it on to friends and family. Lets just make sure that the one that they give us is the best.

Both the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and the Moderna vaccine contain no Covid virus at all, so you can never get the disease from a vaccination. They are both Messenger RNA (MRNA) vaccines, which deliver just a small piece of the virus RNA (DNA) which your body then uses to make its own antibodies that can identify that RNA when they see it, to attack the virus' spike protein. They're theoretically very safe, though new technology so there's always a chance of something not going to plan in the early days I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

it's a good idea make before Antibody test

18 minutes ago, balo said:

How are they going to check  you had your vaccine? It's easy to fake a document.  

Among all the pandemic questions, this may turn out to be the most troublesome. Every country is looking into it but I haven't heard a single valid suggestion yet.

Paper certificates can be too easily counterfeited. A global database? Whoa, let's discuss that one for a decade. Who would manage that? The WHO? What about Cozy Bear hackers? Etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Among all the pandemic questions, this may turn out to be the most troublesome. Every country is looking into it but I haven't heard a single valid suggestion yet.

Paper certificates can be too easily counterfeited. A global database? Whoa, let's discuss that one for a decade. Who would manage that? The WHO? What about Cozy Bear hackers? Etc.

There has been a lot of talk about microchip implants /nanochip in the not-too distant future.These will hold a record of all your vaccines amongst other things.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

And here's some more good news that should hopefully ease one of the supply chain problems for one of the vaccines

Pfizer Increases Dry Ice Life Span Improving Vaccine Capacity On Boeing Aircraft

3 hours ago, KC 71 said:

There has been a lot of talk about microchip implants /nanochip in the not-too distant future.These will hold a record of all your vaccines amongst other things.

What about an additional microchip that tells you what to do and what not?

An intelligent chip that sends and receives data from the smart BMW's? 

One that manipulates your spending money behavior to increase Thailand's inadequate income from tourists. 

In the end, Thailand could become a hub. The hub of microchips. 

Or let's call it crisps, it's easier to remember.

There won't be any implant for me, no matter how the  Chinese virus develops.

Oops, did I say Chinese? Well, most people seem to have forgotten whose fault it is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

What about an additional microchip that tells you what to do and what not?

An intelligent chip that sends and receives data from the smart BMW's? 

One that manipulates your spending money behavior to increase Thailand's inadequate income from tourists. 

In the end, Thailand could become a hub. The hub of microchips. 

Or let's call it crisps, it's easier to remember.

There won't be any implant for me, no matter how the  Chinese virus develops.

Oops, did I say Chinese? Well, most people seem to have forgotten whose fault it is.

i hear you

"one mans dream is another mans nightmare'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand needs to vaccine their entire population then tourism can return to normal.

Tourism will never be the same again, with or without the miracle vaccine.