Thailand’s Tourism Industry Meets - Asks for Opening of Borders and Skies

rooster59

By Andrew Wood

download (1).jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

With over 130 of Thailand’s top travel and tourism executives and guests joining together at the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit Hotel, attendance exceeded expectations. 

Sponsored by 8 major corporations THAI Airways, The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Serenity Wines, Thai Smile Airways, Paulaner, Bangkok Airline Representatives (BAR), NIDA Graduate School of Tourism Management and CoffeeWORKS. Prizes were donated by over 30 different industry providers from every corner of Thailand with more than 43 prizes offered to raise funds for charity.

Host Sammy Carolus, Skålleague and GM at the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit Hotel and all of his team received the organisors’ special thanks for their great offerings and outstanding service on the day. Special mention was made of the hotel’s organisational professionalism, cooperation and flexibility.

Recognising the extraordinary times and challenges that the industry faces Skål Bangkok’s President Andrew Wood said, “The World of Tourism in our Covid-19 environment is in a very different place to 12 months ago. As an industry we have an uphill battle to survive and thrive and we must make every effort to lobby those with the power to enact change, for their understanding that the coronavirus like other viruses is among us, and like flu 98% of people do recover after an infection of Covid-19.  Accepting a sensible level of risk and a gradual and safe reopening of our borders and skies must happen soon to avoid lasting structural damage to our tourism industry. 

“The virus cannot be completely eradicated and we cannot give up. As a global industry we are too large and too critical to the overall strength of the economy especially here in Thailand. We have ‘fought’ too long and battled too many crisis to fail now.

Wood continued, “Today we take a pause and reflect on a better and brighter future. With vaccines around the corner and a focus on what is possible, building on that and by working together and coming up with sensible and achievable goals. I am confident with all the creative minds and willingness to succeed we will persevere,” he said. 

The next meeting of Skål Bangkok takes place next month on Tuesday 12th January 2021, a lunch event on the river at the Peninsula Hotel, Bangkok. Members, non members and guests are encouraged to attend the business networking meeting. For details and reservations email: [email protected]

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-13

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The virus cannot be completely eradicated

Yes it can, given time and right prevention measures it can eradicated, is just that Mr. wood is trying to save the hide of the tourism and hospitality industries at the costs of other people lives... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the percentage number of Covid-19 positive among incoming travellers in Quarantine, opening of borders would be a disaster if the idea is a Covid-19 free Thailand; if changed to let virus flow more freely the already done Covid-19 sufferings has been in vain. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Oh how I long for the excessive flipping thru my passport, side eye, and then hearing the stamp thud, to have it thrown back at me and dismissed with a flippant hand gesture....

You mean to tell me you were never greeted with a polite wai and smile upon entry...beggars belief...me neither :cheesy:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Surely not??? (quote)

has been identified as the G strain of the virus, which is easily transmitted and causes more severe symptoms than other strains"

49 of the hundreds of people returning from Myanmar have tested positive for COVID-19 and they are now scattered across seven provinces; 37 in Chiang Rai, 5 in Chiang Mai, 3 in Bangkok and 1 each in Phayao, Phichit, Ratchaburi and Sing Buri.

We are directly affected in our business as they are & it hurts but an open doors policy at present would undo all the good work of the last 10 months, & in all probability set them back for 2 years longer after a 3 month period of being open  not to mention overwhelming the medical services here affecting many more industries.

Slowly, slowly is the way

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Finally someone has the balls to say 98% of people survive this virus.

if you’re old and scared of the virus or you have health problems then be very careful.  Let the rest of us enjoy our time on earth.  Ruining people’s livelihoods and small businesses is way worse than the CHINESE virus.  

100% agree. Though we seem hell bent (with their own agreement) of Frailicide and Flabicide.

In the UK if you're fat or have lung issues you can hang a piece of card around your neck saying 'I do not need to wear a mask due to other health issues' and it apparently makes you immune from getting it. It's truly an amazing piece of science !!! Also walking in a mall with drinking coffee or on the phone also negates the need for use of a mask. 

If I had a pound for every person in this awful Blackpool town that had a card around their neck saying they had health issues and a fag in their mouth, I would not need to win the Euro millions.

(it's cheap b4 you ask and i need pay two households until return)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes it can, given time and right prevention measures it can eradicated, is just that Mr. wood is trying to save the hide of the tourism and hospitality industries at the costs of other people lives... 

Even in China there are still new cases. Today:

China reports 24 new COVID-19 cases, monitoring tourist spot Hainan

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china/china-reports-24-new-covid-19-cases-monitoring-tourist-spot-hainan-idUSKBN28N01M

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Looking at the percentage number of Covid-19 positive among incoming travellers in Quarantine, opening of borders would be a disaster if the idea is a Covid-19 free Thailand; if changed to let virus flow more freely the already done Covid-19 sufferings has been in vain. 

And what is that percentage?? And how many before day 7? 

6 minutes ago, Patjqm said:

And what is that percentage?? And how many before day 7? 

Originally the capacity for incoming ASQ was 40 a day, recently it was mentioned in the news that space had come up to 100 new incoming persons a day. So if fx. 4 foreigners tests positive in one day it equals 4 percent.

Imagine just a few percent of turists with a fast spreading G-string Covid-19 visiting crowded areas.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

"98% survive"....therefore, open the economy?

Wow, that's cold. So the US has 330 million, and losing perhaps 6.6 million is 'acceptable'. Lots of sad families and friends.

The US lost around 450,000 in WWII, 74,000 in WWI, about 54,000 in Korea, 55,000 in Vietnam, 3000 on 9-11, and 685,000 in the Civil War.....the total of all major wars is 20% of what is acceptable to you from Covid.

Since the invention of the automobile, approximately 120 years, around 3.6 million Americans have been killed in car accidents. Losing 3 million more than all traffic deaths ever to Covid is acceptable to you.

In the US now young people with no underlying condition are dying, and survivors are suffering brain damage, nervous system damage and heart problems. The effects of the virus are somewhat mercurial, and its effects are more than death.

Lives are individuals, not statistics. The US is not Stalin-esque (1 death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic).

Widespread distribution of the vaccine will take time, perhaps a year to reach the sought after 70% uptake. if we value our fellows in any way, perhaps wearing masks, social distancing, limiting close quarter contact, and govt assistance to suffering businesses is worth it to save more lives than the US lost in all wars and road accidents combined.

As for Thailand, 2% is 1.4 million souls, a heavy price.

@Walker88 you throw all the stats about but conveniently forget to put Thailand's traffic accidents stats which are horrific are they 'acceptable' 

Edited by paulikens
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@Walker88 you throw all the stats about but conveniently forget to put Thailand's traffic accidents stats which are horrific are they 'acceptable' 

Why create a straw man? I did not conveniently forget anything. Thai road deaths are unrelated to the subject at hand. Are you saying, well, since Thailand loses 20,000 per year on the roads, they should be willing to accept 1.4 million deaths from Covid?

All I did was compare deaths from US road accidents and all major wars---for which we've erected countless monuments owing to their gravity and importance---with the amount that poster was willing to accept as a fair price for re-opening the economy. Losing 2% of the population should be, if we were a moral society, unacceptable.

Sadly, the US seems to have a moral rot, and many feel so long as those 6.6 million are not 'me', I'm willing to accept it, but please don't inconvenience me by making me sit 6' away in a restaurant or wear a mask. I wonder when we lost our concern for our fellows, but surely many have lost it and care solely about themselves.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Never thought Id see the day of empty IO lanes......usually hundreds deep after a cross Atlantic haul...sigh

Oh how I long for the excessive flipping thru my passport, side eye, and then hearing the stamp thud, to have it thrown back at me and dismissed with a flippant hand gesture....

Cross Atlantic haul ?

17 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Finally someone has the balls to say 98% of people survive this virus.

if you’re old and scared of the virus or you have health problems then be very careful.  Let the rest of us enjoy our time on earth.  Ruining people’s livelihoods and small businesses is way worse than the CHINESE virus.  

Supporter of the orange man in the white house ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Why create a straw man? I did not conveniently forget anything. Thai road deaths are unrelated to the subject at hand. Are you saying, well, since Thailand loses 20,000 per year on the roads, they should be willing to accept 1.4 million deaths from Covid?

All I did was compare deaths from US road accidents and all major wars---for which we've erected countless monuments owing to their gravity and importance---with the amount that poster was willing to accept as a fair price for re-opening the economy. Losing 2% of the population should be, if we were a moral society, unacceptable.

Sadly, the US seems to have a moral rot, and many feel so long as those 6.6 million are not 'me', I'm willing to accept it, but please don't inconvenience me by making me sit 6' away in a restaurant or wear a mask. I wonder when we lost our concern for our fellows, but surely many have lost it and care solely about themselves.

16.2M  documented cases in the US which is about 5% of the population.  For those infected, the mortality rate is about 2%.

On the other hand, the CDC has estimated based on antibody tests that up to 8x as many Americans have had the virus already which would be over 115M.  If that is close to accurate then the mortality rate is closer to 0.3% for those infected.

We have been wearing masks here in Va for months. You can't enter any business without one

Bali ‘ready’ for international tourists before Christmas: UN tourism agency

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/12/10/bali-ready-for-international-tourists-before-christmas-un-tourism-agency.html

There will be a competion between them to get international tourists...and competition is always good for customers ????

Edited by Olivie

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

By Andrew Wood

download (1).jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

With over 130 of Thailand’s top travel and tourism executives and guests joining together at the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit Hotel, attendance exceeded expectations. 

Sponsored by 8 major corporations THAI Airways, The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Serenity Wines, Thai Smile Airways, Paulaner, Bangkok Airline Representatives (BAR), NIDA Graduate School of Tourism Management and CoffeeWORKS. Prizes were donated by over 30 different industry providers from every corner of Thailand with more than 43 prizes offered to raise funds for charity.

Host Sammy Carolus, Skålleague and GM at the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit Hotel and all of his team received the organisors’ special thanks for their great offerings and outstanding service on the day. Special mention was made of the hotel’s organisational professionalism, cooperation and flexibility.

Recognising the extraordinary times and challenges that the industry faces Skål Bangkok’s President Andrew Wood said, “The World of Tourism in our Covid-19 environment is in a very different place to 12 months ago. As an industry we have an uphill battle to survive and thrive and we must make every effort to lobby those with the power to enact change, for their understanding that the coronavirus like other viruses is among us, and like flu 98% of people do recover after an infection of Covid-19.  Accepting a sensible level of risk and a gradual and safe reopening of our borders and skies must happen soon to avoid lasting structural damage to our tourism industry. 

“The virus cannot be completely eradicated and we cannot give up. As a global industry we are too large and too critical to the overall strength of the economy especially here in Thailand. We have ‘fought’ too long and battled too many crisis to fail now.

Wood continued, “Today we take a pause and reflect on a better and brighter future. With vaccines around the corner and a focus on what is possible, building on that and by working together and coming up with sensible and achievable goals. I am confident with all the creative minds and willingness to succeed we will persevere,” he said. 

The next meeting of Skål Bangkok takes place next month on Tuesday 12th January 2021, a lunch event on the river at the Peninsula Hotel, Bangkok. Members, non members and guests are encouraged to attend the business networking meeting. For details and reservations email: [email protected]

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-13

Definitely a lot of pissing into the wind happening here ????

14 hours ago, natway09 said:

We are directly affected in our business as they are & it hurts but an open doors policy at present would undo all the good work of the last 10 months, & in all probability set them back for 2 years longer after a 3 month period of being open  not to mention overwhelming the medical services here affecting many more industries.

Slowly, slowly is the way

Agree, but you have to open up eventually, more and more businesses that rely on tourisum are going to the wall, sometimes you have to take a calculated risk... 

15 hours ago, Walker88 said:

"98% survive"....therefore, open the economy?

Wow, that's cold. So the US has 330 million, and losing perhaps 6.6 million is 'acceptable'. Lots of sad families and friends.

The US lost around 450,000 in WWII, 74,000 in WWI, about 54,000 in Korea, 55,000 in Vietnam, 3000 on 9-11, and 685,000 in the Civil War.....the total of all major wars is 20% of what is acceptable to you from Covid.

Since the invention of the automobile, approximately 120 years, around 3.6 million Americans have been killed in car accidents. Losing 3 million more than all traffic deaths ever to Covid is acceptable to you.

In the US now young people with no underlying condition are dying, and survivors are suffering brain damage, nervous system damage and heart problems. The effects of the virus are somewhat mercurial, and its effects are more than death.

Lives are individuals, not statistics. The US is not Stalin-esque (1 death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic).

Widespread distribution of the vaccine will take time, perhaps a year to reach the sought after 70% uptake. if we value our fellows in any way, perhaps wearing masks, social distancing, limiting close quarter contact, and govt assistance to suffering businesses is worth it to save more lives than the US lost in all wars and road accidents combined.

As for Thailand, 2% is 1.4 million souls, a heavy price.

No one cares about Americans. Get over it.