No vaccine plan: Ministry of Health unsure on when or from where the Kingdom will get doses

geovalin

The Health Ministry has still not come up with a plan of action to pre-order COVID-19 vaccines although countries around the world have already done so. This is despite the fact that Prime Minister Hun Sen last Monday ordered officials from the ministries of Health and Finance to urgently meet and discuss the sourcing and funding of a vaccine.

The following day, officials from both ministries met on the matter and after three days have still not announced a decision. Health Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said yesterday that the officials are still working to monitor the effectiveness of vaccines before ordering any.

“The team is working on this, we are not silent, we are working,” she said. “We are also working with WHO under the Covax initiative to ensure that Cambodia also has access to the COVID-19 vaccine when it is safe and approved by the World Health Organization.” Britain has already begun vaccinating some of its citizens while the United States has deployed truckloads of vaccines across the country for the purpose.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50792639/no-vaccine-plan-ministry-of-health-unsure-on-when-or-from-where-the-kingdom-will-get-doses/

2 minutes ago, Mops59 said:

A little bit late to start thinking about this now. US and Europe already started to vaccinate just like USSR and China. 

Better to start to think together with CAAT and TAT how to get foreign  tourists back ch as soon as possible.

The thread is about Cambodia, not Thailand..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Thanks for that. I really do wish that when folks post articles about our neighbours, they make it clear in the topic header. This is, after all the Thai Visa Forum.

The article confused me initially because I knew that Thailand been discussing the local manufacture of a vaccine in cooperation with Oxford Uni in the UK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. I really do wish that when folks post articles about our neighbours, they make it clear in the topic header. This is, after all the Thai Visa Forum.

Like this?:  

Forum Home - Regional Forums - Cambodia Forum - Cambodia News -

No vaccine plan: Ministry of Health unsure on when or from where the Kingdom will get doses

By geovalin,
6 hours ago in Cambodia News

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Like this?:  

Forum Home - Regional Forums - Cambodia Forum - Cambodia News -

By geovalin,
6 hours ago in Cambodia News

How many people read the the small print?

Come on let's hear from you all!

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't think so although like always???? written poorly.  They are talking about Thailand but reference Cambodia they will through WHO try to get it for them too maybe because of so many crossing? 

An interesting issue. But I doubt Cambodia is alone  in the fact that now  vaccines  are on the offer the Cambodian authorities  have  missed the  bus  on priority supply.? That should not be considered  any more embarrassing  than the  reality that the US  declined to purchase an extended  supply  of the only as yet approved  vaccine with a population well in excess of  need  and  an explosion in infections.

Is  Cambodia  on the  list  with the WHO collabaration for "free" vaccines distribution? I doubt  Hun Skin would  have any  philosophical  concern except  for  self and  close support .

17 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

An interesting issue. But I doubt Cambodia is alone  in the fact that now  vaccines  are on the offer the Cambodian authorities  have  missed the  bus  on priority supply.? That should not be considered  any more embarrassing  than the  reality that the US  declined to purchase an extended  supply  of the only as yet approved  vaccine with a population well in excess of  need  and  an explosion in infections.

Is  Cambodia  on the  list  with the WHO collabaration for "free" vaccines distribution? I doubt  Hun Skin would  have any  philosophical  concern except  for  self and  close support .

Why doesn't Cambodia get vaccines from their overlords in China?  Maybe a lack of trust in that they'll work?

...and of course somehow work this into blaming the US.

Factually, the US has preordered and prepaid for over 1 billion (1,000,000,000+) doses of vaccine from multiple pharms with the expectation that some may never reach viability.

Pfizer vaccine is the first, which 100,000,000 have been ordered and is already being dosed to medicos and seniors in care homes today.

More Pfizer vaccines will not be ordered because other vaccines will be ready before Pfizer can manufacture more, AND due to difficulties in transport and storage as these must be kept at -70° Celsius.  Pfizer is also the most expensive of all the vaccines.  Anyway, there is no infrastructure to distribute these in Cambodia.

Long before Pfizer can manufacture enough, Moderna (500 million doses) will be ready, at both a lower price and only needing 2-8° C storage.

So get your facts straight.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:20 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thailand already has a capable pharmaceutical industry. They produce their own generic versions of many popular medications without issues. Can they not simply get the formula and a license to manufacture?

I think one company did say they were giving away their formula on request.  It may have been Astra Zeneca.  Not sure how the licensing works.  Sounds to me like Thailand is working on a duplicate of that one or perhaps one of the Chinese ones which are similar.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Why doesn't Cambodia get vaccines from their overlords in China?  Maybe a lack of trust in that they'll work?

...and of course somehow work this into blaming the US.

Factually, the US has preordered and prepaid for over 1 billion (1,000,000,000+) doses of vaccine from multiple pharms with the expectation that some may never reach viability.

Pfizer vaccine is the first, which 100,000,000 have been ordered and is already being dosed to medicos and seniors in care homes today.

More Pfizer vaccines will not be ordered because other vaccines will be ready before Pfizer can manufacture more, AND due to difficulties in transport and storage as these must be kept at -70° Celsius.  Pfizer is also the most expensive of all the vaccines.  Anyway, there is no infrastructure to distribute these in Cambodia.

Long before Pfizer can manufacture enough, Moderna (500 million doses) will be ready, at both a lower price and only needing 2-8° C storage.

So get your facts straight.

Kindly specify where my "facts" are not straight? 

Can you also provide some evidence China is Cambodia's "Overlord" ?

11 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Kindly specify where my "facts" are not straight? 

Can you also provide some evidence China is Cambodia's "Overlord" ?

Simple.  By your ignorance in stating that the US declined to purchase more of Pfizer vaccine because you don't understand the manufacture & distribution timetable of all vaccines.  There will be more than enough vaccines for the US, & the additional hundreds of millions of doses will be given to other countries.

And, as I voluntarily worked for 2 NGOs in Cambodia in its redevelopment, I see the influence China has had.  Even the ex-Khmer Rouge, whom I've visited in the forests, speak of owing the Chinese.

Ever ask yourself why did King Sihanouk continued to live in Beijing, even after the Kingdom's restoration? 

Edited by Iron Tongue

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Simple.  By your ignorance in stating that the US declined to purchase more of Pfizer vaccine because you don't understand the manufacture & distribution timetable of all vaccines.  There will be more than enough vaccines for the US, & the additional hundreds of millions of doses will be given to other countries.

And, as I voluntarily worked for 2 NGOs in Cambodia in its redevelopment, I see the influence China has had.  Even the ex-Khmer Rouge, whom I've visited in the forests, speak of owing the Chinese.

Ever ask yourself why did King Sihanouk continued to live in Beijing, even after the Kingdom's restoration? 

There was nothing ignorant in referring to the US Govt. declining to take up Pfizer's offer for more than the initial amount before they (Pfizer) offered production capacity to elsewhere.

Nor was there any "blame" aspect to that in reference.

As to the various opinions of the people of Cambodia  I am sure there will be a percentage who are aware it was not the Chinese who bombed the snot out of them or their  neighbor Laos to little purpose.

I could perhaps consider asking why Sinahouk self exiled  to  Beijing and not perhaps New York?