Most people want school students to wear uniform: poll

webfact

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:
8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How does wearing a uniform promote order and discipline.  Does the uniform attach to the spine like an alien and make the host do what is expected to be done by the MOE.  Uniforms are for uniformity and to ensure that no one looks different from another.  A few real reasons for a uniform at school in my opinion are:

1. School uniforms make it easier to get ready for school.
  2. School uniforms improve safety.  
  3. School uniforms are more affordable.

Expand  

1. Lose identity, individualism, and self-expression.

2. Likely students already have clothes at home that would be suitable for school; if not government can subsidize just as it does with industries. Why should education differ?

3. How one dresses is likely to have nothing to do with academic achievement. Having everyone dress in the same uniform also gives a false impression of income equality. Under Prayut income inequality has increased according to various scholars and economists. 

4. Uniforms enforce a culture of authoritarian government where military/civil service uniforms prevail. 

There are pros and cons of having school uniforms mandatory. While in pluralistic democracies the points ThailandRyan stated are definitely valid and worth to be taken into account, in feudalist dictatorships Srikcirs points are the real reasons why school uniforms might be made mandatory there. The latter reasons outweight the former in such countries and political systems.

In Thailand the combination of uniforms with mandatory haircuts quite clearly shows the real intentions behind the mandatory uniforms. These intentions are similar to those behind mandatory uniforms and haircuts for conscripts, or mandatory haircuts and clothes for inmates in prisons. It's to make everyone make lose his identity and to just function and follow the rules rather than to scrutinize anything. Especially the points 1 and 4 in Srikcirs post state exactly why school uniforms in Thailand are so important for the power that be here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

In the UK back in the early seventies my school ( Grammar ) polled the elder kids ( 14 + ) on school uniform.

The results were surprisingly strongly in favour of retention with a couple of ammendments , blazers to be optional on very hot days , girls to be allowed to wear trousers ( black or navy ) during the winter.

The school agreed the ammendments .

Are you sure it was  'Grammar' school? ????

5 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

I was just going to say that and actually not having so many days off as in holidays Do Thai kids do more than 6 months per year going to school

But then the poor 'teachers' would have to work more!   LOL

20 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

School uniforms hide what your background is, dirty poor, filthy rich and that's a good thing.

In Thailand?

Meh.

Every student knows where they/their family, and where everyone else, fits in the Thai social pyramid. Uniforms do not somehow make everyone magically equal, nor do they "hide" anything.

And there are uniforms for scout, sport, army, cheer "days". 

20 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

If I had gone to school in America, where they don't wear uniforms

Uniform wear in the U.S. has really ramped up, must be over 20% by now? But such a thing is left to the local community/school board to decide, not the national "government".

P1-3, uniforms OK. P4-6, one day a week casual.

M1-6, uniforms OK, casual 2 days a week.

University: mandatory NO UNIFORMS.

If Thai society collapses due to clothing then they can always go back to mandatory uniforms, and throw in a bit of "Attitude Adjustment".

Even Thai officials and government offices have casual day now.

The Thai school uniform is merely the lipstick on the pig. And the pig is on it's last trotters. Time to shake things up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

In Thailand?

Meh.

Every student knows where they/their family, and where everyone else, fits in the Thai social pyramid. Uniforms do not somehow make everyone magically equal, nor do they "hide" anything.

And there are uniforms for scout, sport, army, cheer "days". 

Uniform wear in the U.S. has really ramped up, must be over 20% by now? But such a thing is left to the local community/school board to decide, not the national "government".

P1-3, uniforms OK. P4-6, one day a week casual.

M1-6, uniforms OK, casual 2 days a week.

University: mandatory NO UNIFORMS.

If Thai society collapses due to clothing then they can always go back to mandatory uniforms, and throw in a bit of "Attitude Adjustment".

Even Thai officials and government offices have casual day now.

The Thai school uniform is merely the lipstick on the pig. And the pig is on it's last trotters. Time to shake things up.

It works with nurses, police, foot soldiers, etc.

29 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

It works with nurses, police, foot soldiers, etc.

"What" works?

Equality? Education? Cost control?

Prisoners wear uniforms too.

I have no dog in this hunt but the Thai edumacation system is, by all measure, lagging. Uniforms, rote-learning, haircuts, abuse, graft, discipline (beating) all seem to perpetuate a flawed system, and discourage individualism. I get that this is a feature not a bug, best to keep Somchai dumbed down on the farm.

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

"What" works?

Equality? Education? Cost control?

Prisoners wear uniforms too.

I have no dog in this hunt but the Thai edumacation system is, by all measure, lagging. Uniforms, rote-learning, haircuts, abuse, graft, discipline (beating) all seem to perpetuate a flawed system, and discourage individualism. I get that this is a feature not a bug, best to keep Somchai dumbed down on the farm.

Respectful approach at first. No prejudices because of their background cuz they can't. Individualism is good, discipline is better till a certain age, different to everyone. Then you have the baggage to make a choice, stay in a group based system (nationality, religion etc) or become a free- thinker. A uniform at school helps you to be pluriform later on ...

18 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Respectful approach at first.

Meh.

People respect nurses, not because of the uniform (nurses have a lot of leeway re: attire), but because of what they do.

People "respect" the police, not because of their uniforms, but because of their power.

Not sure what to make of the "foot soldier" mention? Civilians have little interface with them.

Back to Thai students...you're suggesting that their uniforms engender respect? From whom exactly?

18 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Individualism is good, discipline is better till a certain age, different to everyone.

"Differerent to everyone"? Hmm. So slap them all in a uniform? What is that certain age? 

Stifling individualism, at any age, sounds like a losing proposition to me.

26 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So do most business men?

Cool.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

Children of school age should always feel that they are included in their "society", and uniforms contribute to this. When everyone looks similar, nobody will stand out as either cool or a dork.

Feeling left out because they aren't wearing the latest clothes, accessories, whatever, can really damage somebody's self-worth at a very crucial development time of their lives.

I went to prepatory school (public school for the Brits), and wearing the latest fashion, having the newest accessories or driving the best cars was always important to everyone.  It was incredibly shallow and stupid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

People respect nurses, not because of the uniform (nurses have a lot of leeway re: attire), but because of what they do.

People "respect" the police, not because of their uniforms, but because of their power.

Not sure what to make of the "foot soldier" mention? Civilians have little interface with them.

Back to Thai students...you're suggesting that their uniforms engender respect? From whom exactly?

"Differerent to everyone"? Hmm. So slap them all in a uniform? What is that certain age? 

Stifling individualism, at any age, sounds like a losing proposition to me.

Cool.

People don't 'respect' nurses. They may respect a specific nurse who has cared well for them. Certainly not all.

Doctors are more likely to be universally respected but again, this cannot be said to be true.

People most definitely don't 'respect' the pigs in Khaki

I think you misunderstood. He said to approach the subject respectfully - Not that school uniforms engender respect.

Stifling individualism? I think thats a very long stretch. Who buys the clothes? Certainly not young students, it's their parent(s)/caregiver(s) that shop and pay for them. So there's nothing to stifle.

University students sure, but everyone is in agreement that they shouldn't be forced to wear a uniform.

Why shouldn't school children wear a uniform? Most people have to wear a uniform at some point in their lives. In the UK, all school children wear a uniform. The UK can hardly be called an authoritarian state, or a country that stifles individualism. Brexit is the epitome of a stupid, individualist choice.

Let's not forget, we are talking about CHILDREN. Sometimes we have to make choices / set rules for them, precisely because they are children. Why do we insist on trying to make them grow up faster and faster?

Life is hard enough as a kid these days, and I do not envy them one little bit. I'm glad facebook / twitter /instagram etc were not yet created when I was at school. When I was occasionally bullied for having no money and dressing like sh-t, at least it was done to my face - and I could fight back.

When I was at home, I could relax. Home is no longer a reprieve from bullies - the internet is everywhere. 

The internet, smartphones and social media have completely transformed the youth of today. They can easily access information. They can easily like / comment / abuse / support people online. Some teens and younger children have a frightening amount of exposure online. If even one aspect of life can be easier, then I'm all for it. All kids go to school in a school uniform - Eliminates the appearance of have and have not's. All schoolchildren should feel like they have a chance to aspire to more. Not that they are poor and have nothing, whilst the richer 'individualist' students flaunt all they have. This is particulary dangerous in a hiarchical society such as Thailand where those with money and means have power over others, and can break laws/rules with impunity. Just look at the red bull idiot 'Boss' who is still free and not paying for the murder of the cop he ran over with his porsche.

Edited by 2530Ubon

My two Baht 

in my school days in Usa .. no uniforms were used  .. problem was  the rich hi-so wore expensive top of the line name brand clothes  and the others wore hand me downs from brothers sisters  ..  it caused lots of grief for the kids .. and its bad enough for kids at that age ..sooo  uniforms