Coronavirus Caused Unnecessary Depression and Anxiety

Jillie Norman

46 minutes ago, Jillie Norman said:

Coronavirus has affected us globally. Many of theories have evolved here and there, and it's hard to tell which is which . However, COVID-19 is real, whether it's overrated or not, it has caused us unnecessary anxiety.

How have you been during the lockdowns? 

Thats a good question Jillie.

i really feel for some people.This whole thing has been a complete shxt show.

i might have made a few joking comments about Pattaya in the early days, but this is no laughing matter any more.

I binned my FB account because it was getting crazy.(500 friends gone just like that ) Not sure if that was a good thing or not, but never mind.Just stayed in touch with a handful of people via my wife's account.There was 1 night where i had a bottle ~ smashing ~ fest outside (just venting anger really)

Thankfully my Family seem to be ok at the moment, but that doesn't stop me thinking about others though.

Depression and anxiety are endemic these days, particularly the latter.  Covid19 has just provided one more vehicle for it to be expressed.  I don't think many people can tolerate being on their own with their own thoughts for company.  I think in some countries the issue is also linked to alcohol.  People also feel they are missing out on something, and spending even more time on social media intensifies that feeling. Really, we are talking about normal trauma here- I'm not describing some who are in genuinely tough predicaments such as those facing extreme financial hardship or in abusive relationships.  If we're honest millions of people have been living on the edge for somewhile anyway.

• Like 2

Hi all! Appreciate your responses.

I agree with all your thoughts and since most people are on social media these days, you can only imagine the chaos. I kind of think the mainstream media is abusing its power over us. They depict the virus as some kind of apocalypse that's why people are going crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, KC 71 said:

I binned my FB account because it was getting crazy.(500 friends gone just like that )

What did you mean when you said they're gone?

BTW, been doing some research about this virus to understand better. I thought if I get to realize that this too is just another illness, a severely contagious one and that there's a way out, it might lessen my anxiety. You guys might want to check this out when you get the chance https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/treatments-for-severe-illness.html

Keep safe y'all! 

I was on non-o multi because of crooked immigration office(rs)

when this was not possible anymore because of lockdown

had to face same crooked immigration office that denied my stay, TWICE,  to stay in Thailand to be able to  RAISE my children with absent mother, and crooked immigration office even laughed at our situation

so yes, big stress year

On 12/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jillie Norman said:

Coronavirus has affected us globally. Many of theories have evolved here and there, and it's hard to tell which is which . However, COVID-19 is real, whether it's overrated or not, it has caused us unnecessary anxiety.

How have you been during the lockdowns? 

From a completely personal perspective it has near enough not affected me at all. During the lockdown in April I couldn't play Pickleball which was a bummer and booze wasn't being sold (unless you knew where to go for it. Nudge nudge wink wink). Since then I've lived my life just as it was before Covid apart from following the standard safety precautions.

However, on the other hand it has affected "her indoors", mainly due to the hoops required to jump through to return to Thailand after leaving. Before this sh*t storm she used to go to the UK two or three times a years to see kids, grandkids etc but due to the hoops and the abysmal state the UK is in with Covid it hasn't been possible. Same goes with the flights we had booked for the eldest and grandkids to come here. They can only come for two weeks so it's out of the question due to the quarantine.

Other than that, everything is peachy but, closely monitoring the current situation as things can change by the day depending on which way the wind is blowing...!!! ????

Yes, it is a difficult time for many and I am not surprised you have raised this important issue.

But I have some suggestions to make that I hope will help you.

When any matters are outside of your control, you are left with trying to manage yourself in any way that reduces the impact, involving anxiety and some feelings of negativity.

Firstly, as it relates to the Corona virus, there is much confusion worldwide, even among the experts. There are few countries that can claim success over a long period, including Thailand, that has seen a sudden increase in cases after being praised for doing such a good job.

My first suggestion is for you to attempt to learn more about the total situation that will allow you to understand better what has happened and what might happen in the months to come. This isn't easy to do from all the conflicting advice and conspiracy theories, misinformation you will find but the idea is that you try to find a reasonable balance that enables you to perceive it differently and hopefully help you to accept and come to terms with it.

Secondly, you could use distraction as a means of diluting the negative aspects of the situation and your feelings about them. On YouTube, there are thousands of relaxing type videos; choose some and allow yourself the time to absorb the comfort they can bring.

As well, I recommend you try (not really meditation) but a few minutes at a time of personal relaxation. You say to yourself, I will sit down in a quiet place, do nothing, think nothing, say nothing, try to be completely calm. Practice this a couple of times a day when you feel a little anxious. It's good for me, maybe good for you!

Look for a group online that have similar feelings to yourself; maybe chatting with people, anywhere around the world you don't know (there are millions of them), may be more helpful than friends or relatives.

Being positive isn't pretending something is good when it is obviously bad.  It is about recognising and accepting the negatives but seeing what remains as something to work with.

Feelings are in your head, they can be adjusted by how you think. Your thoughts may change for the better when you are actually doing something to make it happen.

Good luck and in the meantime, I wish for you a New Year of outer calm and inner peace.

Chris

• Thanks 1

I feel sorry for the people who have lost family or friends. For people who have lost their business that sometimes took a lifetime to build up. I feel sorry for those who lost their jobs. 

Everyone else should harden up. 

I don’t feel sorry for people who complain about their “rights”. Or people sulking because their social life has been affected.
Or for the people who refuse to wear a mask, social distance or use a tracing app, refuse to quarantine when they should. These selfish people make life (or death) worse for the people mentioned in my first paragraph. 

Some countries are full of the selfish people and it has resulted in high death and infection rates. And some members of this forum are amongst them, harping on about the Thais everyday while their country has a death rate hundreds of times worse. It is ridiculous.
And people from these countries are now causing a second surge worldwide because of their selfish attitude.

I am very pleased with the Thai response so far, just hoping they don’t throw away all the success they have had so far. The current situation is a worry, not for myself, but for those mentioned in my first paragraph. 

It has cost me a lot of money, but I am fine, I have more than enough and it hasn’t really hurt me. I have no debt, the people who are being ruined by this are the millions who borrowed for their business, house, whatever, and are now falling over because of it.
This second wave, caused by the selfish people, must be so crushing to those who have done everything they could to survive until now, but this will be the knockout blow.

I know a woman in Phuket who owned 11 pharmacies employing 22 people, helping support 22 families. She held on for 9 months, selling everything she had, and borrowing what she could, but finally conceded defeat last week and closed down and now has a mountain of debt  and now will most likely lose her house as well. 

• Sad 1

pretty much locked inside since the last burning season in Chiang Mai... never been so lonely, isolated, and miserable. having a hard time focusing or enjoying anything, and am not too happy about it... would definitely rather get covid than put up with this and be done with it, if I have not already had it.

• Like 1

I don't really differentiate covid19 from any other aspect of life. It's a problem- a challenge.  Personally, I derive a great deal of benefit from simple exercise. If I had to choose foods,etc that are readily at hand then I would say- fruit, green veg, tea, chocolate, coffee, red wine, nicotine (via vaping), aspirin, nsaids.  All in moderation of course. Above all you should be trim relative to your body shape.  

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 3:05 AM, Jillie Norman said:

What did you mean when you said they're gone?

BTW, been doing some research about this virus to understand better. I thought if I get to realize that this too is just another illness, a severely contagious one and that there's a way out, it might lessen my anxiety. You guys might want to check this out when you get the chance https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/treatments-for-severe-illness.html

Keep safe y'all! 

Tell it to Trump, the rest of the world ain't listening. We're not all as flakey as the yanks. I self isolated for 2 months the first time around, No problems.

• Like 1

Hmmm good question. I was okay and accepting of it for maybe a month or so ... when I could at least go daily to the beach and walk or sit for a while and do a few exercises outside the apartment. But once the beach was forbidden and I couldn't go workout, and swim laps of the beach every other day I started to get some anxiety and lowered mood. Not being able to eat anything but the village Tesco pre-prepared meals was a bit of a bummer too (but at least I could eat!).

I practised yoga every day and meditated next to the pool even though we were also forbidden use the pool. Towards the end month-period I was anxious more often, and noticed I ideated that I felt 'trapped'. Thank God I could grab the bike, cross the main road, and ride for a while around the local area backstreets and sort of along the near-sea road (about 3- 4 kms diameter I guess) and, social-distance very well while doing so and at least stop and look at the beach from a vantage point a tad away from it just in case the plod came along and nabbed me for 'being on the beach'.