Phuket officials aim for zero road deaths over New Year holidays

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Phuket’s leading officials have set zero deaths from road accidents as the goal to be achieved during the Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign this New Year, to be enforced from Dec 29 to Jan 4

'deaths', not accidents.
As we know, as long as you don't die at the scene it doesn't count as a road accident death. Just get them away as quickly as possible. Even death in the ambulance I don't think is counted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“During the new year holidays, many people like to travel to other provinces, bringing greater risk of road accidents than normal,” V/Gov Vikrom said.

This man is a genius and should be certified as such.

...unless he just copied this statement from the year before, and the one before that one, and so on...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“During the new year holidays, many people like to travel to other provinces, bringing greater risk of road accidents than normal,”

So make sure the accidents happen outside Phuket. Close ALL the roads, gas stations and booze vendors. Done !   LOL

Zero is almost an unattainable number to reach. I have lived in Thailand for several years now and don't understand why just Phuket has this target and not all of Thailand. Thailand leads the world in traffic fatalities. If the Thai police would take just half the police at the check point and have them patrol the streets and truly enforce the traffic laws I think Thailand would notice a dramatic drop in traffic fatalities. 

1 hour ago, Kenneth White said:

Zero is almost an unattainable number to reach. I have lived in Thailand for several years now and don't understand why just Phuket has this target and not all of Thailand. Thailand leads the world in traffic fatalities. If the Thai police would take just half the police at the check point and have them patrol the streets and truly enforce the traffic laws I think Thailand would notice a dramatic drop in traffic fatalities. 

'If the Thai police would take just half the police at the check point and have them patrol the streets'

Perhaps that might result in an increase in hit and run deaths for the police on the streets.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket’s leading officials have set zero deaths from road accidents as the goal to be achieved during the Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign this New Year, to be enforced from Dec 29 to Jan 4.

An admirable goal - hasn't materialized over the past few years!

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

What do they propose to do to achieve that target? 

there are some easy ways to guarantee success:

- ban on driving any vehicle

- ban on fuel

- stop counting accidents and casualties

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

there are some easy ways to guarantee success:

- ban on driving any vehicle

- ban on fuel

- stop counting accidents and casualties

Don't forget the last one is official policy - regarding counting deaths occurring after the scene of the accident anyway.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, bluesofa said:

'If the Thai police would take just half the police at the check point and have them patrol the streets'

Perhaps that might result in an increase in hit and run deaths for the police on the streets.

Why would you say something like that? Sorry bluesofa that just not make sense

Usually they check for alcohol at check points - well you would think, like other countries. But I remember reading just a few months ago that they said no more on the spot alcohol checks, I think their new chief of police announced countrywide...!

Edited by Agusts