COE brick wall

18 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

I received my COE!

But...the date of departure from the originating point, and the date of transit, are...reversed! NO!!

This could have been my error on the COE application. I quickly emailed the DC embassy and asked for revised COE.

Check the dates on your COE!

My money is on the Thai end for the F-up. Your correct dates are on the docs you uploaded and they obviously got them reversed. So sorry to hear this. I hope they correct the error pronto and it ends well, but based on my experience with DC (and pretty much everything Thai the past quarter century)...your flight will be long gone before you ever get a reply. And even then they will never admit or apologize for their mistake. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winegeeker said:

How did you get a hold of someone, did they finally answer a phone, what number did they answer? I will call tomorrow. Did he say how long COE will take once you get visa?

i need to be on my way by February 5th

press 0 immediately to call the operator. i have gotten through twice in the last 3 weeks.

i forgot to ask about COE.

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

I received an updated COE from DC embassy, but the transit date was still incorrect.

So I emailed back and got this reply. Anyone else with an incorrect transit date?

Hello, 

Please don't worry about the transit date as the system will put the transit date the same as the departure date. The arrival date is the most important one. Your COE should not give you any issue. 
Best,
Visa Section
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, Suphawk said:

Well I was getting all my ducks lined up and ready to fill in the online COE application and see this today! ????

The embassy is currently updating the website and the procedures for obtaining visa and the COE.
If you plan to travel to Thailand in January 2021 or onwards, please check back soon on the embassy's website for the official guidelines. 

I was planning to arrive middle of January, I wonder how long this will delay my plans.

This from the US Embassy website, BTW

Having the same problems here in Italy. The Consulate and Embassy can not be contacted despite several emails requesting information like cost and bank account to pay it. You use the telephone number and it just rings.

Totally inefficient

Edited by Pro1Expat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Winegeeker said:

Was wondering how you got to singapore from NM?  I didnt think they had flights from USA

Singapore Air has flights from Los Angeles.

image.png.f41849bf19f22c9a143aa256cf5cc9f6.png

Then they have connecting flights to BKK from Singapore.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Singapore Air has flights from Los Angeles.

image.png.f41849bf19f22c9a143aa256cf5cc9f6.png

Then they have connecting flights to BKK from Singapore.

Nice i didnt know that, i was supposed to fly today if i had all my paperwork, JFK to NRT to BKK and i was able to use miles for a free first class ticket, but because of incompetence at embassy i had to cancel everything 

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Winegeeker said:

Nice i didnt know that, i was supposed to fly today if i had all my paperwork, JFK to NRT to BKK and i was able to use miles for a free first class ticket, but because of incompetence at embassy i had to cancel everything 

Sorry to hear that and feel your pain. Absolutely agree with their incompetence to the max. No surprise tho. I will be canceling everything Tuesday when I don't hear from them Monday, which will be 9 complete business days since they accepted my flight and ASQ bookings. Inept and incompetent, without any transparency or even a clue nor a care. Pathetic.

Edited by Skeptic7

I am currently dealing with the LA Consulate.  I never believed the 15 day time line for Visa and COE processing.  So I booked my ticket and ASQ reservation for exactly 30 days from the time I applied for the Visa and COE.  The process is rather odd and i made a mistake by submitting my Non Imm OA packet through the mail first.. I got an email asking me to apply through the online portal(there was a link in the email).  An airline reservation and a confirmed ASQ booking were required before the consulate would do anything. I got both done and submitted everything online.  

The good news is I got my passport back with the new Visa in 7 days.  I am now just waiting for the COE. So far the consulate has not responded to any of my emails about the status of my COE.  Luckily I have 2 weeks before my flight. The only thing I have to do now is get the Covid 19 PCR test and the Fit 2 Fly certificate.  I found a clinic in LA that does both. I would not recommend calling the LA consulate because the lady who answered said just said this: “go to website”.  555

• Like 1

I also am struggling with the 60 day tourist visa application process.

On Thursday Jan 7th I sent my application via UPS the DC Royal Thai Embassy next morning delivery with Passport, ASQ reservation paid for starting on the 30th of January. Health insurance for 60 days paid for, Copy of Bank statement and a copy of my Lufthansa tickets for departure on January 28th.

The package was received at 1:30 PM the next day, Friday the 8th, January.

On Monday January 18th I received a phone call from the DC embassy instructing that I must apply immediately for the COE.

So I applied and was rejected 3 days later because I did not include a copy of the visa. (They have yet to send me a visa)

Today is the 15th day since the Embassy received my application. When the DC Thai Embassy uses my return prepaid for UPS package UPS will alert me. – Nothing so far and I expect that since this Saturday I will see nothing until Monday at the earliest.

I have sent two emails requesting clarification on why they have asked for the COE prior to issuing the Visa with no response.

I have tried calling the embassy once each morning and once each afternoon and only get recordings and that mail boxes are full.

At this point it looks like I may have to reschedule everything.

Has anyone gotten through this process successfully?

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The good news is I got my passport back with the new Visa in 7 days.  I am now just waiting for the COE. So far the consulate has not responded to any of my emails about the status of my COE.  Luckily I have 2 weeks before my flight. The only thing I have to do now is get the Covid 19 PCR test and the Fit 2 Fly certificate.  

I found a clinic in LA that does both. I would not recommend calling the LA consulate because the lady who answered said just said this: “go to website”.  555

Very timely info.  Thanks.  

Delayed my January flight to Thailand because of new Covid cases in Thailand.  Now, Southern California has blown up stretching hospital to breaking point.  I will be safer in Thailand.

So, I have my Tourist Visa and can have the application for the new COE done by Monday, the 25th of January.  

Do I push for traveling on 5th of February (ten working day) or wait until the 12th of February (15 working days)?

I really, really want to leave soonest.  Appreciate any thoughts. 

What clinic in Los Angelas does both please and what was the timing?  Thanks.  

On 1/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, Winegeeker said:

Was wondering how you got to singapore from NM?  I didnt think they had flights from USA

Singapore Airlines flies non-stop LAX to SIN ( 17 grueling hrs), I think almost every day, AND their flight SQ712 from Singapore to Bangkok is on the official "approved list" into BKK and your preferred ASQ lodgings after a brief 7 hour layover at Changi 555.

4 hours ago, Scheduler said:

I did a test run on the PCR Covid test process and time line here in Asheville, North Carolina last Sunday.

I applied via an online system with Mercy Urgent Care and got a virtual appointment for last Monday. Following the on line video DR.'s consultation on Monday I was given a an appointment that afternoon for the Both a Antibody test to see if I have had Covid PCR test.

Both came back with in 48 hours Negative. The tests cost $299.00. I did this experiment so I could confirm time lines.

I have found a fit to fly system online; https://quick.md/fit-to-fly-certificate with a fast turnaround time.

QuickMD is the Fit To Fly provider I also intend to use if the morons at embassy Washington DC ever get their ???? together processing applications. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:18 PM, Mai mee said:

Well I'm sitting in the airport in Singapore now, flight into Bangkok departs in a couple hours

Mai Mee, this is great news!! I'm not far behind you. Finally got my Covid test results and fit2fly today!

How was the paperwork gauntlet? Was one copy of each required form/document/certificate enough or did you print out multiple copies?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats Skeptic. Yeah COE was the last piece to arrive for me too. I think they do pay attention to travel dates and do try to get you in, but they don't mind you sweating it out a bit either. Now you just have to make it through the final 72 hour song and dance...

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

A snowball may well have a chance in Hell after all as I just now received my COE on a SATURDAY! Almost fell over with shock and JOY! After 10.5 months...I'M GOING HOME! I am scheduled out of quarantine on 13 Feb...just 3 weeks shy of a year since leaving. Shortly after quarantine ends...will start the process of getting my Non-O and Retirement Extension again. It expired earlier this month on the 3rd. NO NEED OF RE-ENTRY FOR A LONG TIME!!!

Congratulations and fingers crossed.

You still need contingency for the following:

* PCR test positive before flying. Check whether you can reschedule or cancel flights and accommodation with minimal damage. If I had a positive  PCR test I could have cancelled or moved my flights and ASQ without any charges.

* Covid insurance covering asymptomatic hospitalisation. In ASQ you get shipped to a hospital immediately after a PCR test is positive, whether you feel sick or not. A lot of people got notification from SafetyWing that their Covid insurance doesn't cover this...you can be out of pocket up to 10k euro if hospitalised asymptomatic. Check your cover...myself had no idea that this is possible, luckily my insurance covers this.

* Flight cancellation for various reasons...have a plan B and pay attention of the situation with the transit airports. Things change quickly. I chose to fly Qatar because they were flying many destinations even during the mass lockdowns last March/April.

Good luck, it can be done. I'm out of ASQ hopefully Thursday and digging in here until Australia and Thailand both remove the quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Congratulations and fingers crossed.

You still need contingency for the following:

* PCR test positive before flying. Check whether you can reschedule or cancel flights and accommodation with minimal damage. If I had a positive  PCR test I could have cancelled or moved my flights and ASQ without any charges.

* Covid insurance covering asymptomatic hospitalisation. In ASQ you get shipped to a hospital immediately after a PCR test is positive, whether you feel sick or not. A lot of people got notification from SafetyWing that their Covid insurance doesn't cover this...you can be out of pocket up to 10k euro if hospitalised asymptomatic. Check your cover...myself had no idea that this is possible, luckily my insurance covers this.

* Flight cancellation for various reasons...have a plan B and pay attention of the situation with the transit airports. Things change quickly. I chose to fly Qatar because they were flying many destinations even during the mass lockdowns last March/April.

Good luck, it can be done. I'm out of ASQ hopefully Thursday and digging in here until Australia and Thailand both remove the quarantine.

Great info and much appreciated. Yes, have a Plan B (& C)...always. My ASQ booking has Free Cancellation up to 24 hours prior and flight is changeable/refundable for a year. Already have the highest tier United Health Care (Global) health insurance paid by my previous employer as part of my severance package. Don't even need the AXA health insurance w/Covid-19  I purchased for this entry, as the Insurance I already have is much better and covers everything...but bought it just to appease the Thai process. 

Thanks again. A most kind and thoughtful post. Cheers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suphawk said:

If I had one thing to do differently in this whole process it would have been to not fly on a Monday.

Getting the Covid test results and Fit 2 fly over a Saturday and Sunday is proving to be very difficult. It would be better to fly on a Thursday or Friday so you have the business days for the lab results.

Right now I'm on pins and needles hoping to get my results before flying.

Bingo, I worked it out and decided to fly out from LAX on a Wednesday night for exactly this reason, and I'm glad I did, just for the peace of mind. That said, Monday would have worked ok, as you can now get a Covid test AT LAX with results in 3-5 HOURS. I flew in to LAX on Monday afternoon, walked and rolled over to the Terminal 6 testing site (you have to book a reservation and pay ahead of time $125), got the test taken and was on my hotel shuttle within an hour of landing.I did an online FTF by video interview with quick.md ($75 ) from my hotel (set up appt. online) and had a FTF certificate emailed to me within 20 minutes. I got the Covid results in 2 1/2 hrs, also emailed to me. I was now FINALLY in possession of all the pieces, and my blood pressure probably dropped 20 points 555.

I set up my travel to allow extra time in case I had any last minute problems. Fortunately the LAX onsite labs are set up to deal with travelers  like us to solve this exact issue. Painless, but as we learned in dealing with the Thai entry process, never count on anything and try to leave yourself some extra time wherever you can, because sooner or later, you're gonna need it.

https://claritymv.com  Rapid PCR Covid testing at LAX

https://quick.md/fit-to-fly-certificate/   Online fit to fly certificate 

Both worked without any questions for airline boarding and Thai entry. If you schedule correctly you can do all of the final 72 hours hoopla in 3-5 hours start to finish.

This was how I dealt with the final 72 hrs dilemma, and it worked without a hitch.

Good luck to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“What clinic in Los Angelas does both please and what was the timing?  “

Passporthealth in Mid Wiltshire. The can do both Covid 19 PCR and Fit 2 Fly for $225.  I called and they claim 24 hr turnaround for the test.  They are at passporthealthusa.com.  

But I looked at Clarity at LAX and they look more promising.  I am closer to LAX.I might go with Clairty instead.  

I received my pre-approval on Thursday and submitted my flight (was planned for tomorrow) and ASQ confirmation on the same day. Still no final approval today (despite they said 3 working days), so I postponed my flight until 6 Feb. I'm not entirely sure why the embassy in Singapore takes so long for them to supply the CoE. Fortunately all bookings were flexible, no additional costs into changing it. But I will have to take a new PCR test and Fit-to-Fly certificate again. Quite frustrating this process.

At the time I was applying, I was unsure about what visa to take, until I found out here I can apply for the visa exemption. I was already trying to apply for their Tourist Visa, which according to the RTE Singapore's website requires upfront and fully paid booking for both ASQ and flight before applying, hence I already booked everything. But apparently this wasn't necessary for visa exemption. And also their timelines are just not correct. Over the phone they say it takes 10 working days, the CoE system says 3 working days, their website says 'at least 2 days' and another page 15 days. Let's hope I still didn't book it too close, but I'm quite frustrated with the entire process and they're still boasting about how they're 'open to tourists'.

Edited by PadKrap0w
  • Like 2