EU's Barnier says: just hours left for a Brexit trade deal

snoop1130

Post-Christmas work to activate Operation Brock

Details of the next deployment of the moveable barrier system on the M20 in Kent in preparation for the end of the transition period have been confirmed by Highways England today.

Separation Agreement Joint Committee meeting (December 2020): joint statement

This statement follows the meeting of the Separation Agreement Joint Committee between representatives from Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and the UK government via video conference.

English sparkling wine leading global innovation

Innovative flare of the industry is generating attention with novel approaches, including using sheep to maintain vineyards and bespoke weather forecasting.

HMG are getting on with it despite the obvious ???? distractions.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

So if the E.U. gives in about this fish thing, the U.K. will considered it as a triumph. 

As it represents economical nothing, they should better do, and ask something really valuable/profitable for everyone in the E.U., in lieu of. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

So if the E.U. gives in about this fish thing, the U.K. will considered it as a triumph. 

As it represents economical nothing, they should better do, and ask something really valuable/profitable for everyone in the E.U., in lieu of. 

For some people its all about money and nothing else, for other people its about principle and doing what they believe is right

If we look at the History of your own country identifying and assisting the Nazis if rounding up and deporting the jews some people in your country considered it 

The report "Docile Belgium," commissioned by the Belgian parliament, said the state collaborated with the Nazis for "economic, as well as ideological and legal-administrative" reasons

It should be said that Many Belgians tried to save Jewish people but other Belgians looked at primarly from an economic point of view or maybe they thought they would gain brownie points from the Nazis

https://www.dw.com/en/report-belgium-collaborated-with-nazis-in-deporting-jews/a-2351064

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

For some people its all about money and nothing else, for other people its about principle and doing what they believe is right

You can convince, for a very short time, the man in the street, that decisions are make out of principles, but may influence negatively his wellness. 

You can't use that on and on. He won't buy it. 

The rest of your post is irrelevant. 

However I am agree there were good/brave people, but also others, during the occupation of Belgium. 

It was the case in many occupied countries. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

You can convince, for a very short time, the man in the street, that decisions are make out of principles, but may influence negatively his wellness. 

You can't use that on and on. He won't buy it. 

The rest of your post is irrelevant. 

However I am agree there were good/brave people, but also others, during the occupation of Belgium. 

It was the case in many occupied countries. 

No the rest of my post is relevant some of your fellow countryman collaborated with the Nazis for "economic reasons" and I am sure some of your fellow countryman would do exactly the same today for "economic reasons"

21 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I still think Johnson is looking for a way to push the final agreement to be delayed until Christmas Eve........the Great Showman (what a joke) can then announce to the world how wonderful he is.

Really, how interesting......:coffee1:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

that sounds very familiar, I do think Boris is just copying his mentor .... the orange guy across the Atlantic also claimed only AMERICA first and in reality he meant " it's only and always TRUMP first" 555

And I thought we were going to get away with no mention of Trump in this thread, you have ruined my day....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

There will be a lot less than that , if you come too close to UKs waters , in future 

Assuming there is no last minute agreement.

If not, I believe the  Belgian fishers, fishing in U.K. waters, will get compensations, surpassing what they may earn now for a hard working.

After all, seen the low number, it won't cost that much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, luckyluke said:

If fishing is worth nothing, then why is Macron getting his panties in a bunch?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54526145

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-55234464

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

And I thought we were going to get away with no mention of Trump in this thread, you have ruined my day....????

nahhh, not this time, the occasion was too good to let it pass 555

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Main reason :

Presidential Election in France in 2022.

Mr. Macron is not very popular, he can't afford to be more unpopular.

By pretending to be on the side of the French fishermen, he hopes it will improve his ratings.

It's all about politics. 

I agree with you there.

I saw an item about French fishermen wanting to go ahead on Brexit and getting upset with Macron as he will try to veto anything that interferes with EU fishing rights. The trouble is I can't remember where.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, vinny41 said:

If it all goes horribly wrong the Uk will play the Turkish Card in about 20 years from now

Since Turkey started the EU Accession process it has received billions of euros from the EU taxpayer

Has the EU seen a return from that investment

Touché, but to play the Turkish Card you need to be a "developing nation". 

Do you recon the UK will end up in such a sorry state? 

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2020 at 5:49 AM, Surelynot said:

I still think Johnson is looking for a way to push the final agreement to be delayed until Christmas Eve........the Great Showman (what a joke) can then announce to the world how wonderful he is.

This is my bet too: I see a deal tonight as unlikely even if at the moment, they are negotiating.. 

I think we are heading for a repeat of the Withdrawal Agreement. Boris will accept before the deadline, he'll get the deal ratified by the parliament, signed by the queen, say it's the best deal ever. Then he will try to renege again to keep the benefits and reject the constraints. 

The whole deal hangs on the punitive clauses, not the word of the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1