What do you miss about your home country?

Lacessit

11 hours ago, Seeall said:

I went to oz a few years ago and saw in the local fishing shop get your fishing licence here ...wow, I thought it was a joke..... so that on topof whatever limits are applied not... by the time yoou fuel up and all the rest its hardly worth it...

Yes, the fishing licenses are just a revenue raiser but not all states have them (at least when I left). Never ever had one, but did spend a few dollars on boats etc. Fishing is not done to save money, it is a fun pastime and like all hobbies it can be expensive.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:17 AM, Lacessit said:

It’s been a year like no other. The oil price went negative, airlines were grounded, some forever. A single meat market in Wuhan, specializing in exotic meats for conspicuous consumption by wealthy Chinese, generated a virus which spread like wildfire. Countries went into lockdown, some stringently, some half-heartedly. The results are there for everyone to see. Millions became employed overnight. Some countries responded with support, others opted for benign neglect. Vaccines were developed at unprecedented speed. A would-be tyrant was rejected at the polls. Most if not all of us will say goodbye and good riddance to 2020.

I’m in Thailand by choice and some good luck. Two weeks later in February, and I would still be locked down in Australia, contemplating slashing my wrists. A much more enjoyable life for me here.

Having said that, there are some things I miss about my home country.

I miss the wind. In Thailand, it seems the wind can’t get much above a gentle zephyr. I would rug up with about four layers of clothing in winter, go down to Gunnamatta beach with an offshore wind of 50-60 km/hr, and watch 10 metre waves pound the coast. Nature at its most primeval.

I miss the wineries that dot the Mornington Peninsula, where one could have a light lunch and a couple of glasses of the local product, which most of the time was very good. Apart from Thai wine quality, I don’t believe Thais know what a cellar door is, or what it’s for.

I miss my 2004 Mitsubishi Magna AWD sedan, IMO one of the most underrated vehicles ever produced. Balanced like a cat on dirt roads and wet bitumen. About a third the new car price of a comparable Mercedes. My son has it now, still plugging along with 300,000 km on the odometer.

I miss the golf competitions I used to play. Par, foursomes, match play, Canadian foursomes. Here, it’s just stroke and Stableford. Boring.

I miss the camaraderie of the Wednesday Boys. 15 – 20 of us, some real characters and nicknames.

The Poet, The Farmer, The Whippet, Pistol Pete, Triple Treat. Best net score got a two-dollar coin from every other player, with an appropriate obeisance. Some really acid sledging during play, one of the best at my expense. A day when I was spraying my tee shots all over the course, but making pars because I’m holing putts from everywhere on the greens. Our group gets to the seventeenth tee, par 3, and I’m fretting about club selection, is it a 6 or 7 iron? One of my mates says “ Why don’t you tee off with your putter? It’s the only club you’ve hit straight all day”.

I miss a Gippsland eye fillet steak, medium, with a Warby Ranges Shiraz. Followed by a King Island blue brie on water crackers.

I miss grilled flake and chips,with a pickled onion on the side. Flake is also known as shark to non-Australians, very sweet fish, and filling.

All the best to everyone on TV over Christmas, and may 2021 be better.

What do you miss?

i miss the sleet, snow, fog, and icy roads and the short nights (in winter time)

Having lived in OZ I miss absolutely stuff all. Being British I miss the old architecture, countryside, the old pub life and decent proper Beer, fish and chip shops, and very cheap Indian curry, good public transport and an underground tube BETTER than any ELIVATED eyesore, heat sink of a sky train. Checks and balances of all government offices and all working by the same rule book and of course proper drivers. People you can have a proper conversation with. But I will live my life out here and am quite happy, food wise most things i want are available here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Having lived in OZ I miss absolutely stuff all. Being British I miss the old architecture, countryside, the old pub life and decent proper Beer, fish and chip shops, and very cheap Indian curry, good public transport and an underground tube BETTER than any ELIVATED eyesore, heat sink of a sky train. Checks and balances of all government offices and all working by the same rule book and of course proper drivers. People you can have a proper conversation with. But I will live my life out here and am quite happy, food wise most things i want are available here.

I'm not sure I can agree on the London Underground, biggest assault on my olfactory senses after working in a tallow rendering plant.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes, the fishing licenses are just a revenue raiser but not all states have them (at least when I left). Never ever had one, but did spend a few dollars on boats etc. Fishing is not done to save money, it is a fun pastime and like all hobbies it can be expensive.

I've never been able to understand the attraction of trying to catch something one can't see, leaves no tracks, and may not even be there. At least with hunting, one stands a better chance.

Having said that, I do like trapping yabbies, then cooking them up with rice, garlic paste, and steamed cabbage. I believe opera house nets are illegal in some states, but AFAIK there aren't any fishing inspectors in Cobar.

22 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Cakes with fresh cream. Cakes with berries and autumn fruits. Gooseberries, rhubarb, sherry trifle, clotted cream, jam Rolly Polly and spotted dick, crumbles and blackcurrents....and most of all....

Huge custard vanilla slices where the custard oozes out the other side  when you try to eat then. ????

Pie shop in jomtien makes really nice and big vanilla slices and the best pies in pattaya

• Like 2

a good piece of snapper or barramundi from the local fish n chip shop,great piece of BBQ t bone or porterhouse steak,good pies from the little pie shop from the smallest country towns,decent pizzas that actually have some topping on them unlike the rubbish they serve up here,the pizzas here remind me of a well known chain brand in Oz where there's a saying,throw the box contents in the garbage and eat the box.

But i reckon i can easily get by without that food as the life living here far outweigh missing said food items.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In Makro I buy a kilo of cheddar cheese sometimes for B289 or more often, B309. It is very nice. Buy some Branston Pickle from Lazada - I have bought three times, 2 x 350gm jars,( the real thing) while in Makro bought some of their nice brown fresh bread, organised myself a cool large Beer Chang and have myself as close to a Ploughmans lunch as you can expect 10,000 kms from home.

A man after my own heart Branston pickle is available in Big C where i am. I Have a good bakery also,  I am as i write eating cheddar cheese and pickle sandwich on dark rye.

I also miss decent 3pin plugs and sockets with a switch, instead of having to pull the plug out. 

Edited by brianthainess

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes, it is quite distinct, isn't it? Very cute, and definitely no ladyboy. Although the length of fingernail I see gives me pause.

LB's my friend have more female attributes than women.... so think about that before fondling yourself lol.. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, madmen said:

I'm on the gold coast and no lockdown here and no new cases in 200 days I think. 

Free medical in the first class medical system. A pension card makes sure you never pay more than $7 for a prescription and half price for bus and tram 

Amazing clean surf beaches dotted with surf clubs where you can drink beer and dine with a stunning view 

Cheap deli food and stupid cheap wines and oh the magnificent range of cheeses. Beer where I drink is $5.50 per schooner a bit more expensive than Thailand 

Best of all the pub down the road does $6 rump steak and chips. Not a huge portion but enough for me 

Of course this is all wiped out by the expensive rent but government rent assistance of $300 A month helps somewhat 

But the worst thing is young women look right through you like your not even there. Getting a young wife for an older guy is just a fantasy unless you many millions 

That is the only reason anyone would give up australia for thailand. Australia is way better in every other way.

I have no idea why the OP wanted to slash his wrists if he was stuck in australia for a few months. That is just weird

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seeall said:

LB's my friend have more female attributes than women.... so think about that before fondling yourself lol.. 

AFAIK that's only in terms of volume. I've known several, although not in the Biblical sense.

6 hours ago, kenk24 said:

That cascading stream w/the mountain laurel looks almost exactly like the one behind my house in Central Pa.!! Could it be? I had a bit of a waterfall too... 

This stream is in eastern West Virginia.  The right fork of Tea Creek of Williams River.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've never been able to understand the attraction of trying to catch something one can't see, leaves no tracks, and may not even be there. At least with hunting, one stands a better chance.

Having said that, I do like trapping yabbies, then cooking them up with rice, garlic paste, and steamed cabbage. I believe opera house nets are illegal in some states, but AFAIK there aren't any fishing inspectors in Cobar.

Have done my share of hunting as well but at my age sitting in a boat with a line over the side and beer in hand is more relaxing.

23 minutes ago, dreaming said:

That is the only reason anyone would give up australia for thailand. Australia is way better in every other way.

I have no idea why the OP wanted to slash his wrists if he was stuck in australia for a few months. That is just weird

I would have been locked down in my son's house in Melbourne, wearing a mask any time I was outdoors, unable to go more than 5 km from the house. No restaurants for lunch, no golf courses open, no swimming pools, no massage shops. A one hour massage in Melbourne is $70 minimum anyway, costs me $8 in Chiang Rai. No Thai GF 23 years younger than me to cook for me, wash my clothes, and generally tend to my every need. Now do you understand?

You're entitled to your opinion; however, even without COVID, I would die of sheer boredom in Australia. About as much mental stimulation as an endless game of noughts and crosses.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Have done my share of hunting as well but at my age sitting in a boat with a line over the side and beer in hand is more relaxing.

Of course it's more relaxing, one has nothing to do but sit, wait, and drink beer.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would have been locked down in my son's house in Melbourne, wearing a mask any time I was outdoors, unable to go more than 5 km from the house. No restaurants for lunch, no golf courses open, no swimming pools, no massage shops. A one hour massage in Melbourne is $70 minimum anyway, costs me $8 in Chiang Rai. No Thai GF 23 years younger than me to cook for me, wash my clothes, and generally tend to my every need. Now do you understand?

You're entitled to your opinion; however, even without COVID, I would die of sheer boredom in Australia. About as much mental stimulation as an endless game of noughts and crosses.

Yes. I understand - Melbourne is a <deleted>hole, I went there for a week and died of boredom. In queensland we have been open for most of the year and life is normal as usual

And being a grown man having to live under your sons roof would just be embarrassing

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, dreaming said:

Yes. I understand - Melbourne is a <deleted>hole, I went there for a week and died of boredom. In queensland we have been open for most of the year and life is normal as usual

And being a grown man having to live under your sons roof would just be embarrassing

Doesn't embarrass me, he's not the typical Australian offspring anyway. He's fully invested in my continued well-being, looks after his mother who is deep into Alzheimers. Liquidating property I owned freed me of the burden of maintaining it, not to mention the insanely high rates. Instead, a nice chunk of capital earning income to finance my lifestyle in Thailand.

Depends on what one likes, Melbourne has some of the best golf courses in Australia, if not the world, fine in spring and autumn. My idea of hell would be playing Royal Queensland in summer. Flat, boring, in the middle of an industrial estate, even has a freeway going over it. How on earth it got the sobriquet of Royal is beyond my understanding. There are three better golf courses in Chiang Rai.

It's amusing you are attempting to be patronizing, because you know next to zero about me.

Deer hunting, Bass fishing, Texas coastal fishing, New York style pizza (San Antonio has Florio's, who are from New Jersey and do it right). My family in various states, good wine, Texas Hill Country, New Jersey forests, lakes and streams, Chicken Fajitas, big soft and hard pretzels, more varieties of diet soda, good bagels, pierogies, kielbasa, drivers who actually know how to drive, looking for mushrooms without worrying about land mines, good concerts, good lasagna, cheesecake, more varieties of pasta sauces, Claussen Dill Pickles, snow, and my smoker, to name a few things.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think most agree....  last visit hoime was heeyyyyy many years whatayabeenupto?  well, the dog died and mum built a new carport!!!!  ok.. (I see a 20 year old photo of a thai girl that probably dead by now next to his bed in his mums garage) ok.. well, catch you next visit then?  perhaps?  ok...

• Confused 1

Fresh air,doughnuts with fresh cream and jam,a nice piece of rump steak that won’t cost an arm and a leg,chicken Kiev from the local butcher,some nice ravioli,Cadbury snack and caramello. Popping down to the tavern and having a nice meal and chat with close friends. Walking along the Broadwater in the evening,nice parks and decent footpaths. I could also name some great things I like about living here. So my dream would be to live here for about 6 months,( avoid the Smokey season). Then spend the other 6 months on the Gold Coast.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Fresh air,doughnuts with fresh cream and jam,a nice piece of rump steak that won’t cost an arm and a leg,chicken Kiev from the local butcher,some nice ravioli,Cadbury snack and caramello. Popping down to the tavern and having a nice meal and chat with close friends. Walking along the Broadwater in the evening,nice parks and decent footpaths. I could also name some great things I like about living here. So my dream would be to live here for about 6 months,( avoid the Smokey season). Then spend the other 6 months on the Gold Coast.

If I could go back 30 years, with enough dosh, I would follow the sun. Golf in the UK, USA, Canada and New Zealand. Food in South Africa, France, Japan and Spain. Girls in SE Asia and South America. The major sporting events anywhere - tennis, golf, GP racing. Concerts at Royal Covent Garden, the Met, and the Concertgebouw. I can but dream, as it is I am happy where I am.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

I think most agree....  last visit hoime was heeyyyyy many years whatayabeenupto?  well, the dog died and mum built a new carport!!!!  ok.. (I see a 20 year old photo of a thai girl that probably dead by now next to his bed in his mums garage) ok.. well, catch you next visit then?  perhaps?  ok...

I'd respond to your post if I could make any sense of it. How many beers did you have before you started typing?

• Haha 1