REPORT: COVID Extension Chang Wattana

Here now at immigration with my marriage extension about to run out and wanting a 60 day COVID relief extension.

SHORT VERSION OF ADVICE: ask immediately at the outside counter for the forms titled "Affidavit for granting permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom during the pandemic situation of COVID-19". That may save you an hour or more.

It doesn't matter how many times you say COVID EXTENSION not Marriage extension. They give you forms that are wrong. Being somewhat ignorant yet in both Thai and English explained our intent and were reassured they gave us the correct forms, we filled them out and got the requisite photocopies of passport info and 90-day report.

We filled out the forms CLEARLY writing reason for extension being COVID extension, and then went to the check-in counter and clearly talked about COVID extension not marriage. Replied back to us, "Yes, COVID, not marriage. Please have wife fill out affidavid and go photocopy marriage license."

She was kind and gave us a queue number in L (personal extensions) even though we needed to fill out more forms and get more photocopies. We waited 1.5hr to get called to desk L27 for document check. We both clearly talked here for COVID not marriage, and the forms all said REASON being COVID, but she wanted bank statements and photos and all the works of a 1yr extension of marriage. 

We had to explain 6 times to this woman, just as we had explained to 3 others before that provided forms and checked, that we want a 60 day COVID extension.

Finally she relented and gave us a new set of forms called "Affidavit for granting permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom during the pandemic situation of COVID-19". She then said to go wait for our number to be called at counter L33.

Been an hour and the next in queue has not yet been called. 

The short version of advice is ask immediately at the outside counter for the "Affidavit for granting permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom during the pandemic situation of COVID-19". That may save you an hour or more.

More as it happens live from Bangkok main immigration office.

• Like 1

Sitting at the desk now... she wanted to know why I want a COVID extension instead of marriage. Took about 10 minutes for my wife to explain I am going to get a retirement visa next.

I am a little confused. It is a 60-day extension (my wife asked in Thai to make sure), but I have to come back Jan 7... confusing.

Time now to wait to get my passport back.

55555 she did not want the wife affidavit or marriage cert that BOTH checkpoints insisted on. Just gave them back to us.

Edited by SailingHome
was not done writing

...have my passport back. Was finally informed by yet another "Immigration Police" woman that, yes, I will get 60 days, but must come back Jan 7 to queue L2 in person. My current extension is until 27 Dec. So there is a 14 day "check in" from today. 

Ever evolving. In all not too bad.

On 12/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, Tanoshi said:

Must admit I'm also puzzled as to why your applying for a Covid extension if your already on a marriage extension but intending to apply for a retirement extension next?

Had some banking errors and surgery so missing some direct deposits and savings is low. Essentially buying some time to show 12 months of deposits ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SailingHome said:

Had some banking errors and surgery so missing some direct deposits and savings is low. Essentially buying some time to show 12 months of deposits ????

Surely it would be less of a financial strain to continue with a further extension based on marriage which only requires 40/400K, as opposed to an extension based on retirement requiring 65/800K, unless there is a further personal reason.