Explainer: Can anything stop Trump from pardoning his family or even himself?

webfact

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Here's a 'reduction to the ridiculous' to show why the courts will rule that a President cannot pardon himself...

If a POTUS could pardon himself, President Joe Biden could execute 45 and his entire family, then simply say, "Pardon me".

In essence, such a power would create a monarch, not just above the law, but who is the law. The US specifically does not have a monarch. The Founders could have used the Magna Carta as a base document for the US, which states all are equal under the law except the monarch, but instead Madison and Jefferson wrote the Constitution.

Self-pardon will fail in the courts.

The pre-emptive pardon may also fail in the courts. Ford's pardon of Nixon was not challenged, so there is not a legal precedent (Nixon wasn't charged with a crime, so his pardon was pre-emptive, just never challenged.). Such a thing, if 45 decides to use it on his grifting family, is fraught with danger. It means ANYONE working for the government, including those with access to classified intelligence, could spend 4 years obtaining and selling intel to, for example, Russia, China or iran, even sharing some of the money with the POTUS, and then POTUS could pre-emptively pardon them (if the crime hasn't come out yet) and pardon himself.

The courts will not want to US to go down that rabbithole.

As for the pardons already given to convicted felons manafort, stone and flynn, they are not out of the woods yet. Because they were pardoned, they cannot incriminate themselves, so they cannot refuse to answer questions put to them by a grand jury. If asked about 45, what he did and what he knew, they must answer. If they fail to do so, they can be held in contempt, which would be a new charge for which they could face jail time. If they lie, that's perjury, also a new crime for which they can be jailed.

In a sense, 45 shot himself in the foot, because the pardons may lead to his own indictment, conviction and incarceration at the Federal level, not just what the NY AG has in store for him. For example, manafort could be asked if he was ever promised a pardon if he kept his mouth shut. If he answers 'yes', that proves the obstruction Mueller noted in his report, and the sole thing preventing Mueller from indicting 45 was the silly OLC 'opinion' which says a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted. After 20 January 45 will not be the 'sitting POTUS'. If manafort refuses to answer that question, it's contempt. If he answers with a lie, it's perjury.

On 20 January the US gets a real AG again. That new AG will serve the people, not the POTUS. After 20 January it would not be a good time to be 45 or any member of his family or wider crime family. It can be called a crime family accurately because of all the close associates of 45 who were indicted, tried and convicted of crimes.

I agree that a self-pardon is unlikely to survive a court challenge, but that court challenge can only be in the form of a federal indictment of Trump which I am less certain will ever happen.  It depends entirely on who Biden nominates to be AG.  

I am not sure if a pre-emptive pardon has ever been challenged in court, but I think it probably has just because there is a substantial history of such pardons.  Andrew Johnson pardoned virtually the entire Confederate Army, of whom probably few had ever been charged with a crime.  Jimmy Carter similarly pardoned the draft evaders of the Vietnam War period.

It's certainly interesting that receiving a pardon abrogates the right against self-incrimination, but it's unlikely that that fact will make a prosecution of Trump any more likely.  The same would have been true in Bill Barr's last pardon-palooza in 1992 when at his suggestion Bush I pardoned the Contragate criminals just as Special Prosecutor Lawrence Walsh's investigation was reaching Bush himself.  The loss of the Fifth Amendment rights of the accused was no help to Walsh who closed down his investigation entirely shortly after the pardons were announced.  Even without the right to invoke the Fifth Amendment the accused can still lie and say they can't remember just as they are accustomed to doing.  Prosecutor's can remove their Fifth Amendment rights by immunizing them, but Walsh evidently did not expect to get useful results that way either.  

3 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Can he self-pardon himself for treason?

If he can pardon himself for anything he can pardon himself for treason.  The only restriction on pardons is that they cannot be given in the case of impeachment.  But it is very much a question whether he can pardon himself for anything at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because the Constitution prescribes that the President take an oath to uphold the law. So if he uses the power of the pardon to escape the consequences of his criminal acts, he is in violation of that oath.

That reasoning cannot be the basis for ruling a self-pardon unconstitutional, because every pardon to a convicted criminal necessarily overturns the law.  Nevertheless, the normal exercise of the pardoning power has never been construed as violating the president's oath of office.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

That reasoning cannot be the basis for ruling a self-pardon unconstitutional, because every pardon to a convicted criminal necessarily overturns the law.  Nevertheless, the normal exercise of the pardoning power has never been construed as violating the president's oath of office.

Pardons overturnconvictions based on  legislated law. Not the clauses of the Constitution. 

Edited by placeholder

43 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

If I were a perfectly innocent person and someone offered me a pardon Id refuse, as it IMPLIES im guilty

Innocent people have no need for pardons, only guilty people do..........truth is a singular..lies are plural

I presume you'd feel the same if some cop or Fed offered you the Fifth Amendment...shows how much you understand the law. 

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Pardons overturnconvictions based on  legislated law. Not the clauses of the Constitution. 

I think you have a misconception that a self-pardon from Trump would apply not only to violations of the law, but also to violations of the Constitution.  But this doesn't make sense.  Violations of the Constitution are not crimes unless they also violate some law.  Violations of the Constitution are not enforceable by prosecution in the courts, which is only for violations of law, but only by impeachment.  That's because the Constitution only specifies the powers of the government, including office-holders, and does not constrain the actions of ordinary citizens not holding office.  You and I, not holding office, are therefore incapable of committing an unconstitutional act.  The only recourse in the case of an office-holder who violates the Constitution is impeachment, unless he also happens to break some law at the same time.  

Trump's self-pardon would only protect him from prosecution, not from violating the Constitution, for which he has already been impeached, tried, and acquitted.  Once he's out of office, impeachment is no longer applicable anyway.

That being the case, your claim "Because the Constitution prescribes that the President take an oath to uphold the law" [the president cannot self-pardon] doesn't make any sense for the reason I gave which is that every pardon explicitly overturns some law.  Nevertheless, the legitimate exercise of the pardoning power can hardly be construed to violate the president's oath to uphold the law since the Constitution gives him that power.

Edited by cmarshall

11 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

These people are convicted criminals.  Trump thinks he's above the law, thus, his comment he could shoot somebody on 5th avenue and not lose his base.  His clueless base....

So much for law and order.

Yes...people not convicted of crimes don't need pardons.

The statement itself shows it was about the strength of his political support...it had nothing to do with the law. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

He's been charged with many crimes.  Look at my last post.  Sadly, he's good at negotiating settlements. 

So you understand the difference between criminal charges and civil lawsuits? Did you see where I referenced criminal charges...or was that filtered out by your <deleted> tinged glasses? Do you also understand we are talking about Trump's actions during his 4 years in office?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Credo said:

He was found guilty of obstruction of justice and abuse of power.   Both are crimes and he was subsequently impeached.

You can check the date yourself.

Trump was never indicted, much less tried, on the recommendations of the Mueller report, although it's possible such an indictment could be forthcoming from the Biden DoJ after Jan. 20.  

• Like 2

"Never had the discussion they falsely attribute to an anonymous source,” Giuliani said on Twitter on Dec. 1, referring to the New York Times report.

Of course, Giuliani would never use anonymous sources to falsely attribute voting fraud allegations, would he? O the irony.

• Like 1

It will take 45's abuse of the pardon silliness to bring about change. So be it.

More 'reduce to the ridiculous' I have heard a legal scholar argue to this effect, using an example as egregious as what I will write, as it brings home the idiocy of unlimited pardon power):

President Biden can play like 45, offer me a pardon if I do his bidding, and then ask me to put together a team of my former colleagues, all of us skilled in the dark arts, to eliminate 'certain people' from existence. We do it, he pardons us, and before he is indicted for obstruction of justice (the promise of a pardon for what my team does), he pardons himself.

Perfectly legal, according to the system and similar to how 45 is abusing the pardon privilege now.

Does the US really want this sort of thing, because under the current system it can happen exactly like this. No one in a civilized democracy should have that much power.

I believe this is how---with an egregious example as I've written---the pardon nonsense (self-pardons, pre-emptive pardons) will be argued in court, where the power of pardon along these lines has never been tested in court.

Then again, not so egregious compared to what 45 is now considering, according to WaPo, the NYT and various other media outlets.....45 is considering pardoning MbS to prevent any US prosecution of MbS for ordering the flaying alive of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The CIA concluded that MbS did, indeed, order the slaughter. I will not detail what the images taken of the slaughter show; suffice it to say one would not wish to view them while eating. The images were taken as proof to show to MbS that his orders had been carried out, so the CIA concluded in its investigation of the crime. jared and MbS are good friends. Such is the 'morality' of that family.

Some repubs are barking about 'Hunter'. They ought to keep quiet, because even if their allegations are true (unlikely), the worst allegations are small potatoes compared to the $1.2 billion in financing jared got from Qatar to refi his 666 Fifth Ave, which had a balloon payment due of $1.2 billion earlier (the current market value of the property is estimated at around only $700 million; the Qataris are not stupid, so there had to be some other consideration for ponying up almost twice the market value). Qatar had sanctions imposed on it for trumped up reasons, 'somehow' jared got the Qatar govt to fork over $1.2 billion, and then the sanctions were removed. Coincidental? Ha.  Oh, and on 20 January President Biden, if he wanted, could pardon Hunter. (Note to jared: WhatsApp encryption can be broken by the FBI and CIA, so anything you thought you hid using that app is not hidden....is this why he might need a pre-emptive pardon?)

The opportunities for abuse are almost endless, and it took someone totally lacking in any morals to shine light on how silly the pardon power is.

The US will emerge with new limits on the pardon power, perhaps even grandfathered back to 45's many pardons.  if not, I fear a return to frontier justice, where some will take it on to themselves to make the guilty pay for crimes they committed, by were absolved of because of abuse of the system.

• Thanks 1