Thailand faces national lockdown by March if COVID-19 guidelines not followed: CCSA

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Well, how about starting vaccinations sooner? Even Mexico, Costa Rico and Chile started to vaccinate their people with the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine already. But in Thailand, there seems to be no pressure at all and no priority to do that. Very strange.

Could there be any better proof that an end of the crisis is not at all a top priority of the Thai government, for whatever reason? Were they told by China to wait for a Chinese vaccine maybe? Or to ruin the economy even more, to make it cheaper for Chinese investors? I mean, if even Mexico is able to get and distribute the vaccine in order to protect its people, why is Thailand not? 

Agreed!  The are now or will very soon be manufacturing the vaccine in Thailand. Where is the vaccine going and why? Should vaccines manufactured in Thailand be sold locally first. Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

I think the Government is waiting to develop its own vaccine so they dont have to pay another country for theirs and while there is no deaths as of yet they will more than likely keep waiting .

I wouldn't know if the Thai vaccine will be ready by April/May, as far as I know not even the first stage of the trial has not been completed. I really believe that Thailand, which is not a poor country, should use its best efforts to get the two approved vaccines, before its own is ready. It would be cheaper that supporting economically most of the nation. May I say PLEASE!!?? This appeal is addressed to the authorities. Hopefully they read it.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

And just yesterday:-

Looks like they've been reading the Boris Johnson play book on U-Turns!

Deny, deny, deny...................... implement 555! Seriously, no country wants lockdowns because of the economic impact. But, governments have to react to changes. And Covid can cause changes rapidly.

Although to be fair, Thais are much much better at following the sensible requirements than a large portion of the British and other Westerners seem to be,

I notice the malls, some individual shops therein and supermarkets have tightened entry checks in response. And I didn't see any arrogant Westerners swaning around in the malls without masks which had become noticeable.

The danger seems to be the movement of people for New Year. The tourism people were forecasting 2 million movements of people. Wonder if some provinces will introduce strict entry and quarantine regimes like before. Burriram was pretty strict last time for one. 

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Looks like they've been reading the Boris Johnson play book on U-Turns!

Deny, deny, deny...................... implement 555! Seriously, no country wants lockdowns because of the economic impact. But, governments have to react to changes. And Covid can cause changes rapidly.

Although to be fair, Thais are much much better at following the sensible requirements than a large portion of the British and other Westerners seem to be,

I notice the malls, some individual shops therein and supermarkets have tightened entry checks in response. And I didn't see any arrogant Westerners swaning around in the malls without masks which had become noticeable.

The danger seems to be the movement of people for New Year. The tourism people were forecasting 2 million movements of people. Wonder if some provinces will introduce strict entry and quarantine regimes like before. Burriram was pretty strict last time for one. 

2 million might be potential tourists somewhere in Thailand, but some 4/5 million alone are likeky enroute at this moment from Bangkok to Isaan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Didnt I hear they had already signed a deal with AstraZeneca to purchase a vaccine.

And to manufacture the vaccine in Thailand. However, the Thai government are predicting it will be available in May, AZ are predicting October.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would listen to the Thai medical establishment and ignore the PM and other politicians on this topic. Get the two approved vaccines and start getting it into peoples’ arms. Singapore abs Malaysia are doing it - why not Thailand? Start with those at risk and with business travelers so we can get things moving again!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Why talk about March now? If this accelerates, lockdown has to be implemented much sooner. 

True, but i think it will come a lot sooner with the current rate of infections which will most certainly keep rising with this new variant. 

23 minutes ago, polpott said:

And to manufacture the vaccine in Thailand. However, the Thai government are predicting it will be available in May, AZ are predicting October.

It is still waiting on approval so that it can be used.

When will the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine be approved? - BBC News

However, here is the nuts and bolts of who and how it actual works as far as percentages and that why they have run into some issues I do believe.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has been shown to be safe and to provoke an immune response in people of all ages, including the over-55s. Unlike Pfizer, which announced one figure, showing its vaccine was 90% effective, Oxford/AstraZeneca presented three different figures:

Overall, the vaccine was found to be 70% effective.

For the majority of people in the trial who got two full doses the figure was 62%.

However, for a small group who got a half dose and then a full dose, that figure was 90%. It's not clear yet why the results were better for this group.

• Thanks 1