Question about 1tb Seagate Backup Plus ultra slim external drive

Dumbastheycome

Have just purchased a Seagate  drive as described via  Lazada. On a Linux  system is detected but can not read or write  to because it is formatted  exFAT.

Read a Windows system it  contains a "read before use" warning   to NOT reformat which will render it  useless. Is that  true or  bogus in anyone's knowledge or experience?

It was only a little over 500 Bht  ( old stock) but my most used  OS is Linux which  can handle  NTFS  .

19 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Have just purchased a Seagate  drive as described via  Lazada. On a Linux  system is detected but can not read or write  to because it is formatted  exFAT.

Read a Windows system it  contains a "read before use" warning   to NOT reformat which will render it  useless. Is that  true or  bogus in anyone's knowledge or experience?

It was only a little over 500 Bht  ( old stock) but my most used  OS is Linux which  can handle  NTFS  .

I did reformat several external hard-drives from FAT to NTFS.  Never a problem with that.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

On your Linux machine- open a Terminal window from your applications menu. On Ubuntu and similar Linux distributions, type the following command and press Enter to install the appropriate packages. You’ll have to enter your password, too.

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

On other Linux distributions, use the appropriate software-installation command or open the graphical user interface and look for the “exfat-fuse” and “exfat-utils” packages. They may be called something a bit different — search for “exfat” and you should find them.

After you’ve installed the appropriate software, you can just connect an exFAT drive to your computer and it will be mounted automatically. If it’s already connected, just unplug the drive and plug it back in.

For Windows, go ahead and reformat. You can still use exFAT - it has no 4GB file transfer limit so it's a little better for larger file types.

Edited by 2530Ubon

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

On your Linux machine- open a Terminal window from your applications menu. On Ubuntu and similar Linux distributions, type the following command and press Enter to install the appropriate packages. You’ll have to enter your password, too.

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

On other Linux distributions, use the appropriate software-installation command or open the graphical user interface and look for the “exfat-fuse” and “exfat-utils” packages. They may be called something a bit different — search for “exfat” and you should find them.

After you’ve installed the appropriate software, you can just connect an exFAT drive to your computer and it will be mounted automatically.

If it’s already connected, just unplug the drive and plug it back in.

For Windows, go ahead and reformat. You can still use exFAT - it has no 4GB file transfer limit so it's a little better for larger file types.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately  my Linux os already has the utils but still will not access the drive. But on Windows OS is no problem. Given the warning contained I am wondering if it is a "genuine" risk to change format or if it  just some propagandist thing in defense of  Windows/ Microsoft compatible with exFAT.

14 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Thanks for that. Unfortunately  my Linux os already has the utils but still will not access the drive. But on Windows OS is no problem. Given the warning contained I am wondering if it is a "genuine" risk to change format or if it  just some propagandist thing in defense of  Windows/ Microsoft compatible with exFAT.

In that case it's likely due to not having a partition yet. Go ahead and reformat on your Windows computer. You could keep the file as exFAT, or you could change it to NTFS if you're going to be using it between different computers.

Don't worry about any warning messages.

• Like 1

At this occasion allow me a different question. I am thinking to buy a 2TB. Do they go into sleep mode if not used for a while? 

In respect of exFAT. I prefer NTFS. It is more stable and can be used at my other devices like my LG TV. exFAT will not work there. So before you decide on a format check where you want to use it and if it works there. 

15 minutes ago, Oldie said:

At this occasion allow me a different question. I am thinking to buy a 2TB. Do they go into sleep mode if not used for a while?

Most external drives will go into sleep mode after a certain period of inactivity; that's not a bad thing. They wake up when you start using it again. Depending on the model and manufacturer, you can turn this function off. 

If endurance, reliablility and instant access are your requierments, then I'd suggest investing in an SSD drive

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Most external drives will go into sleep mode after a certain period of inactivity; that's not a bad thing. They wake up when you start using it again. Depending on the model and manufacturer, you can turn this function off. 

If endurance, reliablility and instant access are your requierments, then I'd suggest investing in an SSD drive

This is the question if you can turn it on and off. In the worst case you have to write a small program that keeps it busy.

SSD drives with 2 TB are expensive and it is not guaranteed that they don't fail.

I could not find any information about the behavior in respect of sleep mode at this and the WD drive. I also would like to know if they transmit S.M.A.R.T. data. Especially if you buy something on the internet you can check if it was used already. But also the quality of the drive during operation can be monitored. 

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It was only a little over 500 Bht  ( old stock)

Good luck with that. I bought new stock Seagate 1TB slim drive as they were cheaper but not 500THB cheap, never again. Lasted all of a month as did its replacement under warranty. Rather than waste any more time I sucked the loss and bought a WD, still going 3 years later.

All Western Digital drives go to sleep, but you can turn that function off depending on the model and if it came with software - you can turn it off in the software settings. I don't know why you would want the drive spinning all the time!

SSD's are great - and not expensive anymore. 9k Baht should net you a good brand name SSD. Cheaper if your not fussy about brand name.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Good luck with that. I bought new stock Seagate 1TB slim drive as they were cheaper but not 500THB cheap, never again. Lasted all of a month as did its replacement under warranty. Rather than waste any more time I sucked the loss and bought a WD, still going 3 years later.

Noted !

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

In that case it's likely due to not having a partition yet. Go ahead and reformat on your Windows computer. You could keep the file as exFAT, or you could change it to NTFS if you're going to be using it between different computers.

Don't worry about any warning messages.

Ok ! Thanks. I will try that. Hve been delayed due to a power cut so  now back online.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

You make a recommendation. Did you ever buy and try this Samsung 2TB external SSD drive for 2200 Baht? 

40 minutes ago, Oldie said:

You make a recommendation. Did you ever buy and try this Samsung 2TB external SSD drive for 2200 Baht? 

Only showing what's available - no recommendation.

SSDs are much more reliable than your standard SATA - hence the price differential.

I would recommend SSD drives - I only use SSD as the data is immediately available. My systems only use SSD and consequently are super fast. I do use an internal samsung SSD, in my laptop, but I've never tried the specific one I mentioned on lazada.

In answer to your other question, all SSDs transmit smart data to asertain how much life is left in the drive and how many parts are functioning etc.

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Below is the one review:  ????

I am copy 1.3GB file, take long time. Speed very slow, like a heartbeat, max 19 mb/s, then 0 mb/s , not real samsung. Feel very sad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

SSDs are much more reliable than your standard SATA - hence the price differential.

I would recommend SSD drives - I only use SSD as the data is immediately available. My systems only use SSD and consequently are super fast. I do use an internal samsung SSD, in my laptop, but I've never tried the specific one I mentioned on lazada.

In answer to your other question, all SSDs transmit smart data to asertain how much life is left in the drive and how many parts are functioning etc.

Yes all disks provide S.M.A.R.T. data. But not every interface of such external disks allows to read them. 

In respect of your recommendation. You don't have the feeling that this is a fake SSD drive...? 

It would be interesting to know if the 1TB HD of the OP for 500 Baht is a fake. Perhaps he can post his experience once he could start to use it. If it is not a fake please post the link so that I can buy one too for this incredible low price. 

Edited by Oldie

Just now, BritManToo said:

review says it's fake.

Of course it is fake and fraud. The normal price is more than 11.000 Baht. It is very bad that Lazada can provide a platform for such activities without consequences... 

How many times do i have to say that it wasn't a recommendation. Looking a bit closer it does look fake - I was only posting what I found. In fact - I said they were around 9K for a decent one. I recommended SSD drives - because they are far superior to HDD drives.

SSD's are great - and not expensive anymore. 9k Baht should net you a good brand name SSD. Cheaper if your not fussy about brand name.

The normal price for a standard SSD (2.5 - external/internal) is not 11k. A reputable retailer such as advice sells them for under 8K (2tb)

https://www.advice.co.th/branch-a014/index.php/pricelist/solid-state-drive-ssd-/022785

The samsung ones do sell for over 11k though... perhaps I should have looked a bit closer lol - sorry!

Edited by 2530Ubon

You seem to be a bit fixated on one aspect of what I said and completely ignored the fact that I answered your question - and it seems to be a question that you claim to already know the answer to.

5 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

SSD drives with 2 TB are expensive and it is not guaranteed that they don't fail.

I could not find any information about the behavior in respect of sleep mode at this and the WD drive. I also would like to know if they transmit S.M.A.R.T. data. Especially if you buy something on the internet you can check if it was used already. But also the quality of the drive during operation can be monitored.

All Western Digital drives go to sleep, but you can turn that function off depending on the model and if it came with software - you can turn it off in the software settings. I don't know why you would want the drive spinning all the time!

So if you know the answer, why ask? Furthermore, the interface is your computer/phone/tablet - how would I know what your interface is to tell you if it can or can't read the data? I can only answer what you asked - Do they transmit smart data - Yes they do.

Edited by 2530Ubon

12 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

How many times do i have to say that it wasn't a recommendation. Looking a bit closer it does look fake - I was only posting what I found. In fact - I said they were around 9K for a decent one. I recommended SSD drives - because they are far superior to HDD drives.

The normal price for a standard SSD (2.5 - external/internal) is not 11k. A reputable retailer such as advice sells them for under 8K (2tb)

https://www.advice.co.th/branch-a014/index.php/pricelist/solid-state-drive-ssd-/022785

But this is not the Samsung T7... 

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

But this is not the Samsung T7... 

No one was asking for a samsung. In my original post I said (sigh) you can get a decent one for around 9k I also said in my last post:

20 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

The samsung ones do sell for over 11k though... perhaps I should have looked a bit closer lol - sorry!

Stop fixating on this one thing -  I have acknowledged my error in posting this and apologised. I have also politely answered your question.

With regards to reliability of SSD's - its very difficult to give a definitive answer. This website has an interesting read. https://www.therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

I use my SSD for programs and commonly used things - I also use HDD alongside my SSD (both internal) for all of my downloading activities as they are frequently written/overwritten data and using the SSD for this would be a waste of money.

14 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Furthermore, the interface is your computer - how would I know what your computer can or can't read? I can only answer what you asked - Do they transmit smart data - Yes they do.

The first interface of an EXTERNAL drive is not the computer. The signal is transformed to USB format and then transmitted to the computer USB. At this USB interface it is decided if you can access the S.M.A.R.T. data. It is not like an internal connection. 

Many external drives support this but not all of them. To me S.M.A.R.T is very important. It is no guarantee that the drive will not fail immediately but in many cases it can show a warning. I looked on the internet to find out if THESE external drives support the transfer of S.M.A.R.T. data but I could not find any information. 

11 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The first interface of an EXTERNAL drive is not the computer. The signal is transformed to USB format and then transmitted to the computer USB. At this USB interface it is decided if you can access the S.M.A.R.T. data. It is not like an internal connection. 

Many external drives support this but not all of them. To me S.M.A.R.T is very important. It is no guarantee that the drive will not fail immediately but in many cases it can show a warning. I looked on the internet to find out if THESE external drives support the transfer of S.M.A.R.T. data but I could not find any information. 

All SSDs transmit smart data - all manufacturers provide software to monitor the data because it's even more important when purchasing an SSD. You just need to download the relevant software from your provider. Here is the Western Digital one - I posted this because I believe you mentioned WD earlier.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

The Western Digital Dashboard helps users maintain peak performance of the Western Digital SSD in Windows® operating systems with a user-friendly graphical interface for the user. The Western Digital Dashboard includes tools for analysis of the disk (including the disk model, capacity, firmware version, and SMART attributes) and firmware updates

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can you please let me know if your drive is fake or not. If not I would like to order 2 for myself. Would be endlessly grateful for the link then. 

8 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I just bought a Seagate 5TB forgot to format to NTFS & it wouldn't read some files, so formatted to NTFS no problem.

What gets me is whatever size you buy  you never get the full amount of storage

8 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Can you please let me know if your drive is fake or not. If not I would like to order 2 for myself. Would be endlessly grateful for the link then. 

How many times must you be told. I have lost all patience.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/index.php

Today all modern IDE/Serial ATA/SCSI hard disks have S.M.A.R.T. feature. It is not really a standard - so the meaning of the attributes may be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. In this article, we discuss ATA (IDE and Serial ATA) hard disks only. SCSI hard disks work differently: the failure predicition data is standard and there are strict rules about the sensors and algorithms. For example, the difference between real temperature and the result measured by the sensor should be less than +/- 3 Celsius degrees.

The interface is your computer. NOT the USB - the software runs off your computer/tablet/phone - ALL USB cables you would plug a HDD/SSD into can transmit the data - it's nothing special, it's a feature thats been available from the 90's- 30 years and more.

For HDD - if your manufacturer does not provide smart moonitoring software, there are several you may download from 3rd party vendors.

SSD have them as standard.

Edited by 2530Ubon