Question about 1tb Seagate Backup Plus ultra slim external drive

Dumbastheycome

13 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

How many times must you be told. I have lost all patience.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/index.php

The interface is your computer. NOT the USB - the software runs off your computer/tablet/phone - ALL USB cables you would plug a HDD/SSD into can transmit the data - it's nothing special, it's a feature thats been available from the 90's- 30 years and more.

For HDD - if your manufacturer does not provide smart moonitoring software, there are several you may download from 3rd party vendors.

SSD have them as standard.

Perhaps you should study the technical differences between SATA and USB interfaces. Please no more further discussion. 

I'm sorry if  I have created a topic that has unleashed some friction !

My news is that after several hours  my attempt to  change format from exFat to NTFS  has resulted in a  failure notified  by  Win 8.1 informing me that  it was "unable to complete the formatting".

At this  time I have not  yet attempted to see if it is now a  hybrid  ex-krap !

For those  who have an interest I do suspect it is  not genuine because an attempt to access  seagate product support using what appear to be  serial numbers or  product  numbers are not recognized.

However I have found that is not uncommon for  many products sold in the Asian market using US  based home sites because I have been lead to believe that Chinese  factories have " many doors to assist the production capacity to flow outwards" ! ????

I will try again tomorrow as my patience has been tried sufficiently  for  today.

If I have success I will provide  link detail to product  purchase origin.

I should add that if I had  not had need to  use this  on a Linux  os I think there would be no issues.

"Anomalies are the gift of temptation to the questioning  mind ".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Perhaps you should study the technical differences between SATA and USB interfaces. Please no more further discussion. 

There is no discussion. You're utterly and entirely wrong.

The notion that you have to buy a special USB cable interface to use a standard feature available in every HDD/SSD is uttery ridiculous. Pathetic that you would even try to continue arguing. The technology is over 30 YEARS OLD - do you really think it's a special feature?

28 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

There is no discussion. You're utterly and entirely wrong.

The notion that you have to buy a special USB cable interface to use a standard feature available in every HDD/SSD is uttery ridiculous. Pathetic that you would even try to continue arguing. The technology is over 30 YEARS OLD - do you really think it's a special feature?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-most-USB-external-drives-not-allow-S-M-A-R-T-data

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Sigh - seriously? Quora?

As stated earlier - If you had bothered to read the posts, most manufacturers provide software to access the data and communicate over the existing USB port / HDD enclosure. Your own source (Quora) implies this too.

(though, devices may create their own communication protocols over a standard USB control interface)

I also mentioned 3rd party sotware vendors who can access the data

Your source (2 years old) also points out:

More recent USB storage chipsets support the SCSI / ATA Translation (SAT) as a generic protocol for interacting with ATA (and SATA) device

So unless your buying an old enclosure and running an old computer you shouldn't have any problems. If you are having any problems, then finding the correct software from the manufacturer, or from a 3rd party will solve those issues.

So again, why did you ask a question you already know the answer to? You asked if HDD send SMART data, they do. You said not all interfaces can get the data - I told you there is software available- both official ones from the manufacturer and 3rd party vendors who specifically provide the communication bridge neccessary to get the data. 

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My news is that after several hours  my attempt to  change format from exFat to NTFS  has resulted in a  failure notified  by  Win 8.1 informing me that  it was "unable to complete the formatting".

At this  time I have not  yet attempted to see if it is now a  hybrid  ex-krap !

For those  who have an interest I do suspect it is  not genuine because an attempt to access  seagate product support using what appear to be  serial numbers or  product  numbers are not recognized.

However I have found that is not uncommon for  many products sold in the Asian market using US  based home sites because I have been lead to believe that Chinese  factories have " many doors to assist the production capacity to flow outwards" ! ????

I will try again tomorrow as my patience has been tried sufficiently  for  today.

I should add that if I had  not had need to  use this  on a Linux  os I think there would be no issues.

Just a thought......

Are you doing a FULL format or a QUICK format?

The Windows 10 default is Quick Format (Don't know about W 8 - never used it)

image.png.ef13be64d885266efadb303eeedf7654.png

Thing is, a Quick format doesn't really format the entire surface - quite a good explanation HERE  

If I was changing the type of format between NTFS to/from ex-FAT or FAT I would always do a full format - in fact when  I buy a new drive I do anyway - my latest acquisition, a 5TB WD Passport was left formatting overnight.

For those who mentioned WD drives - I can heartily recommend them - I've had more than a dozen over the years - all still going strong!

And...   @sometime   The response to your comment about HD size/capacity is here

EG, See my screenshot above: my drive was sold as 1TB - in reality, as you can see, I get 931GB after formatting. Some would say it's cheating, but that's how it is and has always been.

Edited by VBF

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No friction - Just a case of two people a bit bored, very pedantic with possibly too much time on their hands. Apologies.

Oh no, that's not good! I too have never used Win 8.1 so I haven't a clue really. Have you tried formatting it in Linux using GNOME?

Here's a link:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Disks

I found this handy article too:

https://opensource.com/article/18/11/partition-format-drive-linux

Edited by 2530Ubon

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

So again, why did you ask a question you already know the answer to? You asked if HDD send SMART data, they do. You said not all interfaces can get the data - I told you there is software available- both official ones from the manufacturer and 3rd party vendors who specifically provide the communication bridge neccessary to get the data. 

You don't get it... If the chip set of the enclosure doesn't understand these commands of the software you don't get anything. I have 8 enclosures and some provide the data and some not. But I give up now... 

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

You don't get it... If the chip set of the enclosure doesn't understand these commands of the software you don't get anything. I have 8 enclosures and some provide the data and some not. But I give up now... 

I get that, but your talking about about PURCHASING one - and as I've repeatedly said - virtually all modern hdd and all sdd contain the correct chipsets - your not going to buy something antique are you? It would be harder to find one that does not. I cannot make this any simpler to understand.

And as your source already told you - devices may create their own communication protocols over a standard USB control interface There is software available to overcome these obstacles too - if you had looked at the 3rd party vendor I sent you - there were only 4 chipsets the sotware couldn't make a communication bridge for. It's not rocket science! It's old tech. The software was created to solve this very problem. I can't keep harping on and on about something that is common knowledge.

That's why I keep asking you why are you asking questions to which you know the answer! I have 8 enclosures and some provide the data and some not.

So again, why are you bothered? If you already have the enclosure then what's your god damn problem? Simply stick the hdd into another shell and your good to go. So unless your an absolute moron, you knew this already and have been wasting our time with this for what?

Now I'm done - you have been wasting our time.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Read a Windows system it  contains a "read before use" warning   to NOT reformat which will render it  useless. Is that  true or  bogus in anyone's knowledge or experience?

I have never installed a hd without formatting it myself.  I would be suspicious of the warning you posted.  As a protective mother would say "who knows where it's been!"

There is a very nice Linux utility called gparted for managing partitions, there is a bootable stand-alone version if you wish.  First order of business is to give the disk a look over, and then remove the partition table and create one of my own.  I like to have several partitions (I used to do partition/backup software ages ago, became part of my SOP), so I map it out with pad and paper before I start the actual partitioning.  gparted allows you to choose formatting type.  The thing to remember is that Linux will help you to accommodate Windows, but Windows will not help you with Linux, at least not the last time I looked.  When in Windows I use Aomei to resize, hide, etc Win partitions.

Well, to contradict the first paragraph, I currently use a Asus laptop that came with Win10 factory installed.  I had the full intent to reformat, but was not sure about a Win reinstall and maintaining the license key.  Then I had to learn about this UEFI business.  I succeeded in making things the way I wanted, dual-boot Linux and multiple partitions, and all has been well for going on five years.  I don't recall how I handled the UEFI stuff and I am thankful I didn't have to go back and fuss with it further.  If you have questions about it I am not the answer man.

I also have a 4T WD Elements USB drive, and yeah, it'll time out, takes maybe 10 seconds to come out of it.  I can live with it.  I recall doing some research before I bought, came across quite a few complaints about the Passport model so stayed clear of it.

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Just a thought......

Are you doing a FULL format or a QUICK format?

The Windows 10 default is Quick Format (Don't know about W 8 - never used it)

image.png.ef13be64d885266efadb303eeedf7654.png

Thing is, a Quick format doesn't really format the entire surface - quite a good explanation HERE  

If I was changing the type of format between NTFS to/from ex-FAT or FAT I would always do a full format - in fact when  I buy a new drive I do anyway - my latest acquisition, a 5TB WD Passport was left formatting overnight.

For those who mentioned WD drives - I can heartily recommend them - I've had more than a dozen over the years - all still going strong!

And...   @sometime   The response to your comment about HD size/capacity is here

EG, See my screenshot above: my drive was sold as 1TB - in reality, as you can see, I get 931GB after formatting. Some would say it's cheating, but that's how it is and has always been.

Yes, was attempting  full format. Win 8.0/8.1 is exact same as Win10 for this and other functions.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but if some kind person could offer advice I would be most great full.

So Ive read through the comments but I’m still wondering what's the best thing to do?

I have 3 individual home computers each running a different operating system......

Computer 1 – running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Computer 2 – running Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Computer 3 – running Windows 10.

I have just purchased a brand new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive from Big C that was on special offer .

I would like to store photographs and a range of miscellaneous items like zip files / .ods denouements / pdf documents / etc on this new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive.

I would like to if possible to access all the stored content on this new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive using 2 of the computers shown below.....

I’m still a bit hazy as to which format protocol to use to re format this new USB external drive to allow it to be fully useable on both computer 1 and 2. 

I think I can use any of the above 3 computers to re format the new drive .

The new drive is still in its box and I have not yet plugged it into any computer.

I’m looking for advice as I don’t want to end up messing up the new external drive and in the end making it unusable.????.

Thanks.

WDboxfront.jpg

WDboxback.jpg

WDOs.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but if some kind person could offer advice I would be most great full.

So Ive read through the comments but I’m still wondering what's the best thing to do?

I have 3 individual home computers each running a different operating system......

Computer 3 – running Windows 10.

I have just purchased a brand new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive from Big C that was on special offer .

I would like to store photographs and a range of miscellaneous items like zip files / .ods denouements / pdf documents / etc on this new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive.

I would like to if possible to access all the stored content on this new Western Digital 2TB external USB drive using 2 of the computers shown below.....

I’m still a bit hazy as to which format protocol to use to re format this new USB external drive to allow it to be fully useable on both computer 1 and 2. 

I think I can use any of the above 3 computers to re format the new drive .

The new drive is still in its box and I have not yet plugged it into any computer.

I’m looking for advice as I don’t want to end up messing up the new external drive and in the end making it unusable.????.

Thanks.

WDboxfront.jpg

WDboxback.jpg

WDOs.jpg

You have  a Windows OS so would suggest initially checking the  format on that .

My original issue is unresolved. I have tried every available  utility to try and crack the problem. My Linux system can detect the drive  but can not  mount it. My Win 8.1 has decided to ignore it completely. I have  removed from  original casing into a generic  housing with no better result. Serial No.s off it  are not any more recognizable than those  on the box. The   drive label warning about  voiding warranty looks like an amateur attempt at copy, is wrinkled and  poorly attached  and contains a miss-print. I am forced to concede that whatever/ however it was produced/ (recycled ?) I perhaps would have had  some better luck leaving it alone in exFAT  format but that is how hindsight usually works. The cost would have bought me half a bottle of Irish whisky but even that ends up down the drain.

Lazada requests my feedback . I shall certainly provide  it ! I doubt it will bother them if it is  not altogether positive . lol

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My original issue is unresolved. I have tried every available  utility to try and crack the problem. My Linux system can detect the drive  but can not  mount it. My Win 8.1 has decided to ignore it completely. I have  removed from  original casing into a generic  housing with no better result. Serial No.s off it  are not any more recognizable than those  on the box. The   drive label warning about  voiding warranty looks like an amateur attempt at copy, is wrinkled and  poorly attached  and contains a miss-print. I am forced to concede that whatever/ however it was produced/ (recycled ?) I perhaps would have had  some better luck leaving it alone in exFAT  format but that is how hindsight usually works. The cost would have bought me half a bottle of Irish whisky but even that ends up down the drain.

Lazada requests my feedback . I shall certainly provide  it ! I doubt it will bother them if it is  not altogether positive . lol

Thank you for reporting your experience. I think it is better to pay a little bit more and buy at a local dealer. And it is a scandal that Lazada and other such trading platforms can do business together with criminals and that nothing happens to them.

I once bought on eBay knowingly a fake SD card with 128 GB - it wasn't sold as fake. It showed in the explorer 128 GB but in reality it only had 16 GB. I got my money back and eBay blocked the seller. The problem is that they simply create a new user and cheat again. But it needs to be stopped that these platforms can make money together with such criminals. 

In respect of my fake SD card. It could only be used with a trick without problems. I created a 16 GB partition on it (the real size of the SD card) and this partition avoided that windows was writing to nowhere. It still works and was in the end for free.