Thailand went to war against a global pandemic in 2020 – and almost won

webfact

Forestalling a war with an enemy (covid-19) or hiding (in a "bubble") from an enemy is not "almost winning."

As yet there seems to be no definitive timetable for mass covid-19 vaccine acquisition, distribution and vaccination of the 75-95% of the populace.

• Thanks 1

The problem with "almost winning" is that it's so easy to gamble it all away, like the Roulette gambler who hits a series of red he's betting on finally encountering black.

Not specific or limited to Thailand, of course - other countries who initially did great had to battle with major outbreaks later on as well.

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

60+ million Thai citizens and they ordered 13 million vaccines, meaning they don't give a rats ass about the other 47+ million not to mention us (expats)

Of course they do. The government just banned Vibhavadi hospital from selling vaccines to people like you (as few Thais would pay 10k baht a shot x2).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

my worries are if there is none available to purchase, if they don't/didn't buy enough for their own people how do we fit in... waiting for their in house/country made one

Fly back to our home countries for vaccines.  And maybe by then we’ll qualify for no quarantine.

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

And they are trying to say all the outbreaks now are from 1-2 cases like the woman at the fish market . Utter waffle ! They sat back on their laurels and because air travel etc was practically stopped they thought look how good we are . Then a few Thai women walk across the border and started spreading the disease and they actually had to bother testing people and found some had it . Then the woman at the market had it and that seemingly infected people all over , yeah sure ????. Their smugness has now set them back about 9 months from other countries that have already had outbreaks.
Can write of next year for tourism and their hopeful 10 million visitors as they will be too busy cleaning up this mess !

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, cyril sneer said:

yes, and this isn't even the bad one

wait for SARS-CoV-3 to come, which will inevitably be deadlier

You don't now anythig about viruses do you? Viruses mutate so they can pread more easily but at the same time become less deadly. There no advantage to a virus killing off their hosts. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"And maybe by then we’ll qualify for no quarantine." You have got to be kidding, the ASQ is too big an earner for the unelected "PM" and his generals. All the VXX in Thailand won't change that, plenty of other countries will open up it's borders before Thailand while these soldiers are in charge.

Nevertheless, if and when the generals lift the quarantine in return for a vaccinated visa holder—I’m on the next available flight outta here.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, webfact said:

Thailand went to war against a global pandemic in 2020 – and almost won

7DB30E83-AEA4-4EF5-A2BC-C508B0F86B82.jpg

For Thailand, 2020 has been a year of fear and tears as the country wrestled with the worst pandemic in modern history. Just as hopes were rising with news that vaccines are on the way, the virus struck again this month to plunge us back into despair.

Strict control measures have returned in the run-up to the New Year, dampening the festive mood as well as Thailand’s economy. Thais’ natural optimism and resilience are being put to the test once again as the fresh outbreak of coronavirus disease brings a record surge in cases. Until this month, the country had been praised for snuffing out local transmission of Covid-19, with only a few cases found among quarantining returnees each day as the death rate stalled at 60.

But that impressive record was shattered last week when an outbreak in Samut Sakhon, 45 kilometres southwest of Bangkok, spawned more than 1,000cases of local transmission, mostly among migrant workers.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-went-to-war-against-a-global-pandemic-in-2020-and-almost-won/

thaipbs.jpg

I see the Thais really are copying the China model of saturating the global media with nonsense propaganda. Good for them. Following their cultural roots. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Understand what your saying, however from what I have read in the past, one of the returnees who didn't quarantine took a flight or a bus to Bangkok, now that in itself would allow the virus to spread all the way from Bangkok to Pattaya, Samut Sakhon and anywhere else you would like, and the virus is only picked up when people feel sick enough to go to the hospital and get tested, most would stay home and fight is off as a flu or be asymptomatic.

I can't believe what my wife told me over breakfast this morning, i.e. a Thai woman posted on her Facebook page that she went to a hospital feeling ill, after first losing her sense of smell and taste, then a temperature and aches and pains, the hospital staff asked her if she had been in any of the affected areas, no she said, so they refused to test her, she later went to a private hospital and paid 8,000 baht and was tested positive with the virus, and the government now has to reimburse her. She was telling everyone where she was and at what times and telling people to get tested, now is this is true, and hospitals won't test people who haven't been in affected areas, but have the symptoms, then this is so wrong.

At first I thought that can't be right, then I though about it for a minute, the government is asking Thai's to donate money so they can buy the vaccines, after only ordering about a 1/3 for the Thai population, so skimping on testing makes sense, although absurd if true.  

No testing = No virus. I can not believe that Thailand was, almost, Covid-free. If i think back at the big markets in Chiang mai in the first few months this year. Completely packed with chinese. There had to be a major spread of the virus. 

• Like 1