Bank book scam

I have had a Thai bank account for about a year. I have transferred money to other bank accounts and it's nice how the Thai banking system makes transfers to other banks/people easy.

Recently I pre-paid for a covid policy (stupid I know), I transferred the money. They were not timely in providing the insurance and said I could cancel and they would return my money.

However they're asking for a copy of the first page of my bank book. Why is my account number and bank name not enough?

Is there some scam or mischief that can be done with the info from my bank book? 

There is no need for an insurance company to request a copy of your bank book.

Perhaps you could ask them why do they need it.  

I certainly wouldn't send a copy of this to an insurance company.

Its not a scam. Even they know your book, nothing they can do. It's just for their insurance in case money return to make sure that you are the owner of the account and the copy of your first page book is used for their proof of confirmation.

I have that experience with security technology shop. I requested return money and they want to have a copy of  first page bank account with my name and the account number.

Edited by alianware
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, alianware said:

Its not a scam. Even they know your book, nothing they can do. It's just for their insurance in case money return to make sure that you are the owner of the account and the copy of your first page book is used for their proof of confirmation.

I think it's to stop them being scammed into refunding to an incorrect account as they can match on the policy name vs the account holder name.

• Like 2

This is quite normal and not a scam. One reason why companies do this is because customers, believe it or not, do mistype their banking details. In my experience it happens more than it should.

Also, requesting a copy of the front page of your bank book helps cut down on staff fraud and malicious behaviour from others.

It shouldn't be easy to cancel an insurance policy. It should take more than an email with your banking details.

Can you imagine if someone with a grudge cancelled your building insurance then set fire to your house?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, alianware said:

I have that experience with security technology shop. I requested return money and they want to have a copy of  first page bank account with my name and the account number.

Its the silly way it is... like when you pay money and they want you to sign for it WHAT?  such idiocy...y its like every farang is a cim and thus need provide 1 million pasport copies..  but if a thai

chats to the bank manager ahhh ok, no problem..... like they dont have crooks...

It's not a scam...it's just to ensure the correct bank and acct number  are provided as some people will make typos in proving the number, provide the passbook number instead of the acct instead (these are two different numbers), simply provide the wrong number, etc. Then when the refund is attempted it gets rejected, goes into someone else's acct, goes MIA, just causes problems. 

Several times over the last decade some Thai companies needed to refund/credit me some money and each one asked for a copy of my main passbook page.  The latest example was this summer when a Thai IT company sent me a credit for an ASUS router that failed while under warranty but they couldn't repair nor provide a like model replacement...instead, they just sent me a credit/refund for the router and they requested a copy of the main page of my bank passbook that simply shows my name and acct number.    

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, Suphawk said:

it's nice how the Thai banking system makes transfers to other banks/people easy.

This is one of my favourite 'features' of Thai banking, increased ease of use compared to what I have in the UK.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is one of my favourite 'features' of Thai banking, increased ease of use compared to what I have in the UK.

The UK is getting BL...... harder day by day, and remember they don't like you spending their money that you gave them to look after (overdrafts and loans are different as it makes them money in interest).