Arise Sir Lewis; Formula One champion Hamilton gets his knighthood

webfact

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

No, he was carefully groomed for it by his father. Started as a boy in Karts. Was mates with Nico Rosberg on the karting circuit. 

No one should doubt the effort he's put into developing his natural skills to the fullest.

But he's a racing driver, a very well paid one too. Not some social leader whose there to lecture us, the people who paid for his wealth. 

Name a driver who wasnt.

You trying to deny his free speech, is he not allowed an opinion? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Nothing to do with hypocrisy and jealousy.

Do you have access to his personal tax records? He lives in Monaco, known as a tax haven. 

So, as you claim to know, how much tax has he paid to HMRC over say the last 10 years? And what % of his actual worldwide income is that?

Who cares. Do you pay more than you should? Why should he not reduce his tax.

Its not like the govt uses tax dollars efficiently.

Seems you just dont like him for doing a great job and using the law to pay as little as possible, as everyone does.

• Like 1

Car is more important than driver at this level.  Just look at what George Russell did in Hamiltons car.

Bottas has got second place last two seasons because of the car, many on the grid could outperform him in that car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Nothing to do with hypocrisy and jealousy.

Do you have access to his personal tax records? He lives in Monaco, known as a tax haven. 

So, as you claim to know, how much tax has he paid to HMRC over say the last 10 years? And what % of his actual worldwide income is that?

I'm not a UK citizen, and where I come from they don't have knighthoods.

So a simple question.

Is a knighthood awarded on the based on how much tax you paid, or on what you have achieved as a citizen of the UK?

Now before you get back to me. I'm not a Hamilton fanboy, I actually dislike him for his knee show off, and no I'm not a racist, I just want to make clear that all lives matter, and definitely blacks are not discriminated in sports and entertainment.

Anyone wants to claim Tiger Woods, Morgan Freeman , Will I Am or Will Smith got discriminated?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

I'm not a UK citizen, and where I come from they don't have knighthoods.

So a simple question.

Is a knighthood awarded on the based on how much tax you paid, or on what you have achieved as a citizen of the UK?

Now before you get back to me. I'm not a Hamilton fanboy, I actually dislike him for his knee show off, and no I'm not a racist, I just want to make clear that all lives matter, and definitely blacks are not discriminated in sports and entertainment.

Anyone wants to claim Tiger Woods, Morgan Freeman , Will I Am or Will Smith got discriminated?

Are you joking? Tiger Woods most definately suffered racism.

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I would have more respect for someone who speaks out against racism and inequality if they refused to accept the title. 

Why, he deserves it, why not accept it. Or is it his message you dont like.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 1:05 AM, edwinchester said:

Of course all lives matter but BLM was born to highlight the disproportionate number of coloured people who are targeted, killed, assaulted and persecuted simply because of the colour of their skin. All lives obviously don't matter to many people and Black Lives Matter is one way of calling for equal respect, treatment and dignity for those subject to discrimination and worse.

Absolute BS. African Americans are killed or assaulted more by their own than any cop, whites, asians, hispanics etc. The fact is African Americans are shot by police because they are involved in far more violent crimes and murders than any other race. They only make up 13.4% of the population of the US but are responsible for 52.4% of all homicide offenders in 2018. Racism does exist but it's no where near as wide spread as BLM would have you believe. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Patts said:

Not at all ignorant, I followed Lewis career several months before he started in F1 and attended races. I Never saw or heard anything negative aimed at Lewis, just tens of thousands of fans supporting him 

Oh thats ok then, did you happen to ask him?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, transam said:

Have you.....?

Has been done for ypu, 

https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-hamilton-called-out-a-shameful-reality-that-f1s-part-of/

Motorsport has a clear white, male bias. The roots of that bias are no different to the roots of the discrimination that has led to the long-running suffering of black Americans at the hands of some white police officers. Hamilton is right to call for moral back-up because it is wrong to characterise what is happening in the USA as an American issue for American people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sharksy said:

I haven't seen anything in this article that shows racism in F1.

Hamilton chose to politicise BLM etc which is nothing to do with F1, then finds not all drivers are taking the knee - and calling that racism.  It isn't.

I used to be a big fan of Hamilton, I always thought he was grounded, was not big headed in interviews etc.

That's all changed this year.

I guess someone will now say i'm racist.

No, he has always been a knob. But he deserves the award for what he has achieved.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sharksy said:

I haven't seen anything in this article that shows racism in F1.

Hamilton chose to politicise BLM etc which is nothing to do with F1, then finds not all drivers are taking the knee - and calling that racism.  It isn't.

I used to be a big fan of Hamilton, I always thought he was grounded, was not big headed in interviews etc.

That's all changed this year.

I guess someone will now say i'm racist.

The post I reacted to questioned whether Hamilton said anything about F1 being racist. Hamilton said, see the article

"“I see those of you who are staying silent, some of you the biggest stars yet you stay silent in the midst of injustice,” Hamilton wrote.

“Not a sign from anybody in my industry which of course is a white-dominated sport. I’m one of the only people of colour there yet I stand alone.

“I would have thought by now you would see why this happens and say something about it but you can’t stand alongside us.

“Just know I know who you are and I see you.”"

Very clear message he considers F1 racist.

And about F1 and motorsport in general being racist, read the article again, very clear text but I can't quote more due to this forum's fair use policy.
Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Up to him, but sport, politics and colour talk should not mix,  Lewis will have plenty of time for that when he hangs up his helmet....

Denying his right to free speech. Why should he have less of a right to his opinion than anyone not so famous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

The post I reacted to questioned whether Hamilton said anything about F1 being racist. Hamilton said, see the article

"“I see those of you who are staying silent, some of you the biggest stars yet you stay silent in the midst of injustice,” Hamilton wrote.

“Not a sign from anybody in my industry which of course is a white-dominated sport. I’m one of the only people of colour there yet I stand alone.

“I would have thought by now you would see why this happens and say something about it but you can’t stand alongside us.

“Just know I know who you are and I see you.”"

Very clear message he considers F1 racist.

And about F1 and motorsport in general being racist, read the article again, very clear text but I can't quote more due to this forum's fair use policy.

If there was any black kid with a lot of talent like he had,waiting in the wings,I’m sure they would be snapped up.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And who decides that Hamilton should not speak out on issues that concern him?

You...

Don't think so.

Hamilton has the right to speak on any issue he sees fit.

And what on earth do you mean by "colour talk''?

You obviously have missed my point...

"Colour talk", BLM stuff at race meetings, you know, printed t-shirts about BLM etc that is my point, sport is for sport, it should be kept that way... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

You obviously have missed my point...

"Colour talk", BLM stuff at race meetings, you know, printed t-shirts about BLM etc that is my point, sport is for sport, it should be kept that way... 

Oh I got your ''point''...

And there is no reason that discrimination cannot be highlighted by those in the spotlight, in fact many would say they should speak out when they see such bigotry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh I got your ''point''...

And there is no reason that discrimination cannot be highlighted by those in the spotlight, in fact many would say they should speak out when they see such bigotry.

So it's OK for Lewis to hold up a banner for say, The Labour Party, or Burger King or Support Iran, before a race........

What bigotry...?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, transam said:

So it's OK for Lewis to hold up a banner for say, The Labour Party, or Burger King or Support Iran, before a race........

What bigotry...?

Racial discrimination is based upon bigotry...

When did burger king become an issue involving discrimination?

Showing support for a movement exposing discrimination is not the same as advertising fast food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1