What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

Louie doesn't seem like he's aging to me.

Anyway, enjoyed this one.

Louis Theroux: Shooting Joe Exotic

Theroux hops on the Joe Exotic bandwagon for this one-off documentary, revisiting his 2011 trip to the zookeeper’s big cat sanctuary as part of his America’s Most Dangerous Pets film. He examines how Exotic first fashioned himself as the Tiger King and then landed himself in prison. He also meets those currently trying to see him freed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whole series out now.

Summary: A crime among true believers. Pray, Obey, Kill is a five-part documentary series revisiting a complex Swedish murder case from 2004 that gained global attention.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Whole series out now.

Summary: A crime among true believers. Pray, Obey, Kill is a five-part documentary series revisiting a complex Swedish murder case from 2004 that gained global attention.

Out where?

Ten Billion (2015) - 1hr 23m - Youtube

"Ten Billion is a film about us. It's a film about you, your children, your parents, your friends. It's about every one of us. It's about our failure: failure as individuals, the failure of business, and the failure of our politicians. It is about an unprecedented planetary emergency. It's about the future of us.

Professor Stephen Emmott presents an eye-opening look at the future of our planet, which, he suggests, is hurtling towards disaster caused by climate change and overpopulation."

Edited by bobandyson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Life of David Gale (2003) - Netflix.

"Dr. David Gale, an advocate of eliminating the death penalty, is falsely accused of rape and murder. Once convicted, he ends up on death row in Texas himself, telling his story to a reporter through a series of flashbacks."

I'd never heard or seen anything of this before but turned out to be surprisingly better than I expected.

• Thanks 1

Talking of good classic action movies, another of my favorites is:-

"Dark of the Sun" from a story by Wilbur Smith 

AKA The Mercenaries (1968)   With Rod Taylor - Kenneth More - Jim Brown.

A band of mercenaries led by Captain Curry travel through war-torn Congo across deadly terrain, battling rival armies, to steal $50 million in uncut diamonds. But infighting, sadistic rebels and a time lock jeopardize everything.

A nasty and terrific gem of an action movie, the best of Rod Taylor's career. Very exciting, expertly acted, and with a beautiful score that sounds like it was done by Maurice Jarre (it wasn't). Highly recommended.

????

Edited by Daffy D
Additional Information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow HBO launch a new sci-fi/supernatural drama series "The Nevers".

"An epic tale following a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, faraday said:

Interesting, i found it mad that Asda keep the ARP records for all the people that log onto their WiFi 400 days. A bit worrying that even UK supermarkets mine your data. 

• Like 1

I have taken to watching some older goodies just recently, because I can't find too much of anything outstanding, so I've re-watched the following: –

– Heavens Gate

– The Railway Man

– Tombstone

– We Were Soldiers

– Jeremiah Johnson

– The Big Short

– Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

– Survivor

And tonight I will probably re-watch, what I consider to be a great movie, "Live by Night".

I also watched a movie I'd never heard of before, from iPlayer, called, "Red Joan" and although it wasn't outstanding, it was a good/interesting watch, especially as it was based on a true story.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Talking of good classic action movies, another of my favorites is:-

"Dark of the Sun" from a story by Wilbur Smith 

AKA The Mercenaries (1968)   With Rod Taylor - Kenneth More - Jim Brown.

A band of mercenaries led by Captain Curry travel through war-torn Congo across deadly terrain, battling rival armies, to steal $50 million in uncut diamonds. But infighting, sadistic rebels and a time lock jeopardize everything.

A nasty and terrific gem of an action movie, the best of Rod Taylor's career. Very exciting, expertly acted, and with a beautiful score that sounds like it was done by Maurice Jarre (it wasn't). Highly recommended.

????

Another great one. For some reason, I never saw this one in the US growing up. There's a few pages of old WW2 movies and other action movies on Wikipedia. I've looked through this and found some old 'lost' ones on the torrents on occasion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films_(1950–1989)

• Like 1

Obviously lots of WW11 movies. Some good and some not so good.

One of the good/great ones is  The Train (1964) with  Burt Lancaster  and  Paul Scofield.

In 1944, a German colonel loads a train with French art treasures to send to Germany. The Resistance must stop it without damaging the cargo.

I think this film is superb. Brilliant screenplay, excellent acting, exceptional directing, and so on and so forth. I think there is one little twist to the screenplay that deserves mention. Burt Lancaster has not one spoken line in the final 20 minutes of the movie. I can't recall ever seeing that done with a major character in a mainstream film. His actions ARE his words. In the final scene, we know exactly what he is thinking without him saying a word. A lovely subtle touch and the crowning moment in a truly great film.

Check it out.  ????

Edited by Daffy D

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

Interesting, i found it mad that Asda keep the ARP records for all the people that log onto their WiFi 400 days.

I wonder where he kept recharging his phone for free every day........

• Like 1