Pattaya bars warned not to flout COVID-19 rules by masquerading as restaurants

rooster59

7 hours ago, pookondee said:

yes because the Covid is very fussy.

It will get you if drinking but not if you are eating food.

Its is also very fussy in my location also,

in bars and restaurants it is most likely to get you if standing up apparently but sitting down is ok.????

What it really likes is the loud talking that drunks tend to be good at

Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

We had this already last time. Some bars even applied for a restaurant license. Also people will gather in restaurants to drink alkohol. We also had this last time.

And we saw the issue dealt with last time.

Just this afternoon (Saturday 2 Jan) I went to a bar a bit off Soi Buakhao. The staff was extremely diligent about temp check, hand antiseptic when entering, and the instant a customer left the table/chairs were wiped down. VERY attractive and attentive ladies as well. If everyone paid this much attention we wouldn't be in the place we are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

There was a rush of applications for restaurant licences during the first wave, with some places changing their name to help their claim they are now restaurants. I'm guessing this is going to go down the "substantial meal" route.

So is a scotch egg a substantial meal?

No in Thailand it's a plate of Khao Phat......between 6 people ????

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Fine...........But what about Restaurants masquerading as bars. People gather for a drink, and bogus food orders are placed in with the drinks bin.

Make it a level playing field.....Restaurants........... take away orders only........... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

pattaya-city.jpg

Banglamung district officials tasked with limiting the spread of the coronavirus are warning bars in Pattaya not to flout rules limiting the sale of alcohol.

After Banglamung district, including Pattaya, was officially declared a ‘highly controlled zone’ on Wednesday, bars, nightclubs and restaurants were ordered to close until further notice.

By Friday, officials had given restaurants a last minute reprieve, allowing them to re-open and even serve alcohol to people ordering food.

However, officials have become aware of some beer bars trying to flout the new rules by masquerading as restaurants in order to serve alcohol to customers.

On Friday, officials reiterated the rules regarding restaurants and the sale of alcohol, which can only be ordered with food. 

Officials have said they will be on the lookout for beer bars which claim to be restaurants and warned owners they face severe penalties - 100,000 baht fine and up to 1 year in jail - for breaching the regulations.

The news comes after a beer bar in Jomtien was shut down by district officials who said it was claiming to be a restaurant in order to serve alcohol. 

Also on Friday, public health officials in Chonburi announced 51 new cases of COVID-19.

Of the new cases, 37 were in Banglamung district, while Sriracha (11), Ban Bueang (2) and Panat Nikhom (1) also reported cases. 

The total number of reported cases in Chonburi now stands at 211, 163 of which are in Banglamung district. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-02

Why can't the do anything about the fresh & night markets instead , crowed to a maximum here in Pattaya every day, and was't that how it all started west of Bangkok, the seafood don't contain Covid 19,  it is the people in crammed crowded spaces that makes it dangerous. Before they come up with crazy rules , please think and think again. TIT

8 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The definitive answer, according to Michael 'we don't need any experts' Gove when asked 3 times in TV interviews one morning is

1 "No, it is just a starter"

2 "A couple of scotch eggs is just a starter"

3 "A scotch egg is a substantial meal"

Simple eh?

13 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

There was a rush of applications for restaurant licences during the first wave, with some places changing their name to help their claim they are now restaurants. I'm guessing this is going to go down the "substantial meal" route.

or large bowl of peanuts? 

12 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Fine...........But what about Restaurants masquerading as bars. People gather for a drink, and bogus food orders are placed in with the drinks bin.

Make it a level playing field.....Restaurants........... take away orders only........... 

I would like to keep the restaurants going.... take out only wasn't doing much for them last time and many gave up after a short time. Only the market stalls selling pre-cooked, as they did before, carried on well. I want to see those actually having dinner being permitted a beer (or what they choose), with a meal. It is the table with a group on a <deleted> up dipping into a plate of somtam or chips between them that must be avoided. It would take some micro-management by the restaurants, and Thais don't like to do that. Seated only, and a single one per person order of alcohol at the same time as the meals are ordered, and a manager prepared to implement and regulate this. I believe the difference would be clear. More simple, is an alcohol ban, which is likely inevitable and already in Bangkok I believe. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I know of a place that tried pulling that trick last time and this was restaurant + bar, the police came in and asked for the check bin's to see who was eating or just drinking

Any one check Chonburi Plod for masquerading as police?

23 hours ago, seasia said:

Actually 2 would be OK for me also. I sometimes buy them for takeaway at a food kiosk outside JJ Villa, soi bukhao, near Lotus Express.

2 for 95 baht, sensible pricing for here. Also some other "fast food/comfort food" options

Anyone know if there are many, if any, western fast food carts or stalls in the Soi Buckawo Soi Diana area just now? I will

be there next week.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:10 AM, Chang_paarp said:

yes i see your point completely.people have a right to make a living so they try to do that.no support for business at govt level so.....people want to survive they put yrs and money into their ventures,this pedantic know it all stuff is very boring.in rural mkts few wear masks so close them all up!apply your rules to all.govt wont as this will cause more civil unrest.as for the connection between eating and alcohol and not eating and alcohol its thin to say the least.people eat in small groups together and drink too in the same manner from what i see whne i visit restaurants and pubs.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:32 PM, robblok said:

No but there is scientific proof that people who drink flaunt the rules more then those who dont. Getting drunk during a meal is harder as getting drunk in a bar. It makes perfect sense. Just not to bar goers who see their fun being curbed.

So does that mean that you can go into a bar/ rest. and drink 15 pints and then have meal and you wont get drunk???

13 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

So does that mean that you can go into a bar/ rest. and drink 15 pints and then have meal and you wont get drunk???

It means it would cost more and its not a bar so there will be less people also in restaurants distancing is better arranged then in bars. Buying food will make it more expensive so its an other deterrent.  Just accept it drunk people don't obey rules and getting drunk in a restaurant is less fun / more expensive and the distancing is better. So it curbs the spread. 

I know bar flies dont want to hear counter arguments. But it is how it is.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:38 AM, pookondee said:

yes because the Covid is very fussy.

It will get you if drinking but not if you are eating food.

Its is also very fussy in my location also,

in bars and restaurants it is most likely to get you if standing up apparently but sitting down is ok.????

I don't think it will get you in the temples with 50 other people crammed in either...

On 1/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, Oldie said:

We had this already last time. Some bars even applied for a restaurant license. Also people will gather in restaurants to drink alkohol. We also had this last time.

They have learned nothing.  Hopeless.

Edited by Leaver