Thailand sets more restrictions amid COVID-19 second wave

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Interesting that we never hear of anyone in the military or government getting the disease. Military is supposed to be patrolling the Burma border where all this disease is supposed to be coming from and government reps seem to want to visit any area where there is an outbreak to show they are “in control” yet other than Anutin’s voluntary quarantine nothing. Are they all immune or too big a “loss of face” risk to report those numbers??

Masks are worn, gloves are worn and all brown envelopes are sanitised!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Thai Retailers Association has also announced that all shopping malls around the country should close at 9 pm daily, an hour earlier than the usual closing time, a statement said.

Yep. That will stop the virus spreading.

• Haha 2

stop dithering and buy the vaccines NOW, 3/5 $ each in bulk or less. Sell to farrangs for 17$ or whatever, if you must. But give it to the Thai people for FREE!

Return Thailand to covid free like it was before the Myanmar border jumpers stuffed us all up!

Vaccines for all means tourists can return and boost the economy, it's NOT rocket science!

Edited by onthedarkside
unsubstantiated hydroxychloroquine-COVID comment removed
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, radjag said:

So, what difference does that make? COVID is not particularly racist! New strains of this nasty virus are popping up all the time, all over the place, according to reports I've read. I am British by birth, but recently travelled from "dirty" USA and did my 14 days - fortunately tested negative every time and am now at home. Even with this sudden spike in cases in Thailand, I certainly feel safer here than I was in USA. Minimise travel, hunker down and wait for the arrival of vaccines.

Whoosh! The point that eluded you is the Thai authorities transparent attempt to pin the rap on British farangs.

See I said this thing was going to get out of control and they still have not shut down movement.

Now the government thinking like Trump. I say this before too. 

And they still have not shut down movement between the provinces....

are you listening to the word coming out my MOUTH ????????????

Contain movement contain the. Spread...

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The variant was found in a family of four who were in quarantine after arriving in Thailand from the UK, and Yong said there is no risk of that variant being spread in Thailand.

how can it be if it's already here, are we missing something or they keep playing  the holding information "game" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Interesting that we never hear of anyone in the military or government getting the disease. Military is supposed to be patrolling the Burma border where all this disease is supposed to be coming from and government reps seem to want to visit any area where there is an outbreak to show they are “in control” yet other than Anutin’s voluntary quarantine nothing. Are they all immune or too big a “loss of face” risk to report those numbers??

The answer is simple..they dont test them..NO test  -= NO covid..Get it ????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like Anutin talking again.  All under control.  Ok yes I bashed him.

Things change like the weather. Today blazing hot tomorrow raining.

Today CV under control, tomorrow,running a mock .It's a new disease one has to learn  .

Recently a family of 4  come directly from England ( Kent ) to Thailand.One was found to have the new strain of the Virus and the authority's have to change what they  put in place yesterday to what the situation is today

just like the weather. Surely one can understand that. Situations. Change .Think! of are you Thai.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, maddermax said:

So when are we going to get a vaccine in Thailand? Somebody is dragging his heels here!

When the soldiers "government" with it's unelected "PM" are dragging heels anywhere, you can bet their personal wealth has something to do with it.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, radjag said:

So, what difference does that make? COVID is not particularly racist! New strains of this nasty virus are popping up all the time, all over the place, according to reports I've read. I am British by birth, but recently travelled from "dirty" USA and did my 14 days - fortunately tested negative every time and am now at home. Even with this sudden spike in cases in Thailand, I certainly feel safer here than I was in USA. Minimise travel, hunker down and wait for the arrival of vaccines.

Are these vaccines just preventing the spread or actively killing the virus?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, maddermax said:

So when are we going to get a vaccine in Thailand? Somebody is dragging his heels here!

Maybe part of the problem is that the rich Western countires pre-bought pretty much all of the early production shutting out the rest of the World.

PH

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:

With the Border Police - who were pulled off the border in their thousands under Prayut’s direct order to confront largely peaceful protests who were challenging his government. It was a blatant misuse of this force that likely contributed to or caused the problem we have having now. It’s no wonder Prayut and his cabal don’t want any focus on them. 

There was this report  on 26-Dec in the Nation in case you missed it -

https://www.nationthailand.com/premium/30400251?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

The big question is how many Thai & farang  lives is the economy worth to the elite who apparently run the country?

5 hours ago, radjag said:

The thing is Thai people do not have to do the pcr test before boarding....

21 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

What is the nationality of the family of 4 that arrived in Thailand from the UK? Could it be Thai? 

Is it even true? The general narrative, since the start has been to blame it on foreigners.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Taweesin said adding that the government is also concerned about the economic costs of more restrictions.

They claim they are concerned, but what are they doing to assist the businesses they have bankrupted since the first lockdown. At least many foreign governments are printing money to try to assist their people. Thailand maintains a strong baht as they refuse to do so.

Pattaya has been totally destroyed, so this lockdown will ensure they cleanup any businesses that survived the first lockdown.

Edited by JensenZ

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The variant was found in a family of four who were in quarantine after arriving in Thailand from the UK, and Yong said there is no risk of that variant being spread in Thailand.

Fingers crossed on that one, is it related to COVID 19? because it usually doesn't comply with Boarders, public holidays etc, it doesn't understand rules as we know them. WE have had some "Variants" in Australia and no one here is ignoring it, good luck

Truly a sickening situation when all that seems to be alive and well is the blame game.....  Strangely no one's blaming China.......   Only them dirty farangs and the British......   Truly revealing of the environment we've been living in.......  Careful boys, Karma's finished her nails, she'll be out shortly.....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This isn't going to end for a long time, if at all. Too much ignorance around, and in the modern world social media can spread it like wildfire. There is far too much of how people want things to be rather than how they are. You can't wish away a pandemic or end it by closing pubs at 10 instead of midnight.

At the beginning of 2020, I told someone it had a nice ring to it, and then stuff happened. Now we go into a new year arguably in an even worse situation, the only positive being that vaccines have been produced in record time.

I said a few months ago that I believed we are only at the beginning of this, and the mutations and surges seem to support that. Meanwhile, there are countless cases of people ignoring the rules, governments dithering, constant U-turns being made by many of those in charge, something like 50 per-cent of people saying they will not accept the vaccine.

Let's not fool ourselves, saying it'll all work out in the end. We still have a very, very long way to go and we haven't even started to make an impact against the virus yet. All we've done is try to control it, and that has been unsuccessful. At the very best, we've managed to contain it for a short period. Overcoming it is still a long way off, and might be impossible unless more people take it seriously.

I see that the New Year in London began with police having to move in on anti-lockdown protesters. Just before that, I saw medical staff on the news saying they no longer have enough staff to deal with the number of Covid patients, field hospitals being set up don't have the staff to operate them and a medical expert saying the virus is now out of control.

Gloomy, isn't it. And Thailand shows no sign of having enough of the vaccine, especially remembering that everyone also needs a booster, so I think we can forget anyone being allowed in without quarantine until at least 2022. 

I agree with you Barry, but I would like to add that after an entire year, there appears not to be a single country that can claim success in controlling this virus over a sustained period and there's no telling how much worse or better the situation may develop into.

There are thousands of real qualified experts worldwide that have spent much time seeking a one-time solution that could be reliably followed by everyone else. As yet, they haven't found one. The vaccines now available, appear to suggest that an end could be in sight, but who knows how long that tunnel is?

it is my opinion too, that 2022 is a more likely time scale before the basic scenario has some level of resolution but I wouldn't be surprised if the repercussions, however they may play out, will be around until 2110

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

facilitated by bent and corrupt Thai border authorities .. that should also be included everytime they wanna play the blame game .. 

But Why have none of them been prosecuted for causing this Calamity??? By "them" I mean the Corrupt Officials AND Business Owners who were facilitating the Illegal Crossings from Myanmar! ???? 

• Like 1