Lockdown now or face dire consequences like Japan, warns top doc

webfact

56 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The good Doctor is absolutely right. And having one or two six weeks lockdowns before herd immunity is achieved through a well managed vaccination campaigns will not be the end of the world. 

He's right in the sense that if it isn't contained things will get much worse.

Thailand isn't like Japan though, locking down won't work anymore because the borders are so porous. Unless Thailand can stop people from entering illegally bypassing quarantine then locking down will just delay things and they'll get bad again soon after we lift lockdown.

Lockdown worked before because neighbouring countries hadn't yet succumb to the virus, now they have so lockdown will no longer yield any long term benefits.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, poskat said:

the "but I think it should work" mindset of the government to be seen as doing something is what is being enacted here

Quite possibly......hard to imagine they would now follow Sweden's oh so successful approach .....that really would take some balls.

41 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Lockdowns bring people together in tight less ventilated spaces which encourages infections seems a bit counter intuitive to me.Lockdowns also have devastating health effects of undiagnosed and untreated illnesses.

This is a very good point which I also always stress in such discussions.

I don't say lockdowns never help anything, and I am not generally against lockdowns. But indeed it has been interesting to see that all these lockdowns around the world not always helped as much as intended, and sometimes they even didn't seem to help anything. Of course it is a very dangerous move to lock people together in tight and less ventilated spaces, where infecting others will be strongly accelerated. Exactly this might have lead to more Covid cases in densily populated places like the slums of Manila, Mumbai or Kalkutta, where normally the hot climate outdoors reduces the dwell time of contaminated aerosoles and together with wind the virus concentration in the air quickly becomes uncritical.

A more sensible approach which takes into account the local social and climatic situation rather than a simple lockdown often would be a better solution for sure.

drove from BKK To Hua  Hin this  morning, no sign of anything on the way apart from the odd "holiday  abandoned tents"

Rushed to get back in case of  lockdown which I  guess is  imminent or at the very least no  interprovincial travel although how the hell theyll stop that I  have no idea

Edited by bodga

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Do you mean all those old, obese and sick people who subsidised people when they were young? Who's taxes paid for their education, who's insurance contributions paid for their health care. The people who gave their lives to rid the world of those who would harm it.  Yeah, let's forget about all those who walked the floor at night hoping our kids would fall asleep - I mean, they're old, fat and ill, they've outlived their usefullness they don't matter anymore.

Yep....I think those are the ones he means.......<deleted> 'em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

So....are you suggesting there would/might have been significantly less than 100 million deaths if they hadn't worn masks and didn't lockdown?

I've seen lots of reports that the death toll was around 30-50 million so the guesses vary quite a bit.I'm suggesting what the science says and the science says masks and lockdowns have no discernible impact on the final outcome.Some say the virus can be stopped,well then why haven't they stopped it?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

the science says masks and lockdowns have no discernible impact on the final outcome.

You can lead a horse to water..........

Seriously tired of all this BS.  I always thought that everyone received at least a basic education - obviously not.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Travelanimal said:

Lockdown isn't answer and never will be . It will only harm the economy.  If you haven't learnt it till now then you are foolish

Why do people care about the economy so much? I didn't realise the economy was an entity with feelings, and that people would feel so strongly for the poor little economy.

The economy can't give you a happy ending to your day, but your loved one or bar girl/boy certainly could - unless they're killed by the virus.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Salerno said:

What's the point you think you're making?

Good to see the numbers still decreasing.

561079471_-Japan-number-of-suicides-2019-Statista.png.cb522c28e957c48985c390457bd2aa73.png

Thanks. I cannot even begin to imagine what the point was, that Teamonkey was trying to make. Suicides have been decreasing there for a decade. And so what was the point of that statement? It was certainly not Covid related, as much as a wild imagination may presume.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

No, I clearly don't have your vision, please enlighten me.

Second thoughts, don't bother, I think I can imagine your answer:

Its the Plandemic.

The Great Reset.

Covid is spread through the 5G network.

Heard it all before, the BS just never goes away.

Suicides are contagious?