Cautious optimism as number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand declines for fourth consecutive day

webfact

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

Should be pretty obvious to everyone really, they are obviously not testing many people so, the less you test, the less people they find positive. Typical Thailand and them wanting to show the world that Thailand are becoming “experts” at everything....

daily-covid-19-tests-smoothed-7-day-2.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

We should expect another spike due to travel and mixing over New Year. Time lag is usually 1-2 weeks

The UK hospital admissions are increasing, presumably due to people mixing over Xmas / New Year

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Look i give the Thais  one credit Here in Ubonratchathani most are wearing masks No panic buying unlike Brisbane in Australia  So I take my hat off to the Thais  

That's because they realise that the numbers given each day are total BS. There is no testing going on up here, despite the fact that so many folks were travelling here for the holidays.

They even closed a lot of the bars here for NYE - only the bigger bars and farang ones were open. A lot of people post derogatory comments about issan folks, but to me it looks like they're pretty smart about the governments lack of testing and lack of data outside of the capital and surrounding cities.

We have gambling dens here that're pretty open about operating - they send 100 baht free bet coupons on LINE & Facebook to my Thai friends. So there's obviously migrant workers and people travelling here to place their bets. But strangely, there's been only 2 cases reported. No testing, no COVID. Yeah right...

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Cautious optimism as number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand declines for fourth consecutive day

s3.reutersmedia.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

The number of  new COVID-19 cases in Thailand  has declined for  the fourth  consecutive, according to the Centre of COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

CCSA spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin said Thailand 205 new cases on Friday.

Of the new cases, 131 were local transmissions, 58 were among migrant workers and 16 were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand also reported a huge increase in the number of people discharged from hospital (734) on Friday.

No new deaths were reported. 

4,519 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre.

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 9,841, with 67 deaths.

Dr. Taweesin added that 16 provinces in Thailand have not reported a new infection in the past 7 days, 4 provinces haven’t reported a new case in 14 days and 20 provinces haven’t reported a case since 15 December 2020, while 37 provinces have reported just at least one case in the last 7 days. 

The number of new infections and total cases in Thailand since 14 Dec is as follows:

14 Dec: +28 (4,237)

15 Dec: +9 (4,246)

16 Dec: +15 (4,261)

17 Dec: +20 (4,281)

18 Dec: +16 (4,297)

19 Dec: +34 (4,331)

20 Dec: +576 (4,907)

21 Dec: +382 (5,289)

22 Dec: +427 (5,716)

23 Dec: +46 (5,762)

24 Dec: +67 (5,829)

25 Dec: +81 (5,910)

26 Dec: +110 (6,020)

27 Dec: +121 (6,141)

28 Dec: +144 (6,285)

29 Dec: +155 (6,440)

30 Dec: +250 (6,690)

31 Dec: +194 (6,884)

1 Jan: +279 (7,163)

2 Jan: +216 (7,379) 

3 Jan: +315 (7,694)

4 Jan: +745 (8,439)

5 Jan: +527 (8,966)

6 Jan:+365 (9,331)

7 Jan:+305 (9,636)

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Yahoo! Banning the consumption of alcohol in restaurants actually worked!!! Amazing... ????

8 Jan:+205 (9,841)

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-08

So are you saying alcohol is spreading the disease. That goes my Lao Khao.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Also, it's been quite common to see folks everywhere in Japan wearing masks for decades?

Why? Because Japanese folks believe they have a responsibility to not spread germs to others when they have a common cold, the flu etc.  

That may well be true, I have never been there. But it is probably true to say that Japanese children are educated enough to know roughly what a germ is, what it does, and how to avoid it.

So far as I can determine,  no Thai, hi-so or lo-so, has any basic knowledge of hygiene, of health science, or belief in our western standards and life rules. Those that do were not educated here.

8 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Where do you get distancing with 5 in a car, motorcycle taxis..2-3 people on a bike. 

A baht bus in Pattaya at the police box Pattaya Tai Pratumnak junction!!! Really shocking!

4 minutes ago, Grusa said:

That may well be true, I have never been there. But it is probably true to say that Japanese children are educated enough to know roughly what a germ is, what it does, and how to avoid it.

So far as I can determine,  no Thai, hi-so or lo-so, has any basic knowledge of hygiene, of health science, or belief in our western standards and life rules. Those that do were not educated here.

Personal hygiene is a big miss  among Thai people. They eat sticky rice with their hand,  A group of people all feed from the main dish, No individual  dishes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grusa said:

Likely true, but in Japan it's more about respecting other people.

If you are travelling with a friend on an underground train (and other transport) you don't talk out of respect to not disturb other people.

You sit down in a restaurant and the waiter comes and greets you with 'suemarsan', translation I'm sorry to bother you, a sign of respect. 

I was travelling on a shinkansen train Osaka to Tokyo. Suddenly a mobile phone rang. The owner very quickly cancelled the ring tone but didn't answer the call. The young man walked quickly to one end of the carriage and bowed deeply for several seconds but not one word spoken, then on his way back to his seat he stooped at my seat ( I was dressed in a suit, collar and tie) and bowed and whispered in English with awkward pronunciation 'I am very sorry', then back to his seat. All respect for disturbing other people.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nout said:

Your last paragraph is completely untrue and might just reflect the people you know. I have found Thais to be fastidious and very hygiene aware. They even take their shoes of before entering houses and rooms. Thais often regard Europeans as dirty, untidy and unkempt. I am appalled at the shambling, dirty, stained unkempt farang men and women wandering around Pattaya. They appear to be wearing the clothes cast out by charity shops. Even the poorest Thais, with few clothes are notably smart and well presented.

European and Thai can both be filthy or pristine.  It's more about the individual than either's DNA or culture.

And some can be both... dated a girl that showered at least twice a day and changed clothes 4x a day.  Pristine personal hygene.  But her house was always left a dirty wreck. Perplexed me.

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

Personal hygiene is a big miss  among Thai people. They eat sticky rice with their hand,  A group of people all feed from the main dish, No individual  dishes.

Yes but they shower more than us dirty farangs so its fine ????.

OK, I'l ask the question a different way:

On Wedneday it was reported that 900 cases were found in Samut Sakhon alone.

I can't be sure which day those 900 cases were found but given the time of the post, I presume it was from Tuesday 5 Jan. These are the figures in that post for Tuesday 5 Jan:

The above are exactly the same as reported on worldometers.com so where are those 900 found in Samut Sakhon?

Is this the kind of reporting that enabled Thailand to claim such low figures during the first wave?

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

Er, hanging out with Issan people are we? 

In Australia we eat pies, McDonald’s and sandwiches etc with our hands. And no bumgun, just wipe our feaces with a bit of paper with our hands. 

7 hours ago, Keesters said:

Your proof please. 

It was reported on Wednesday. See excerpt below:

Responding to a report on social media, which claims that more than 900 employees of the Thai Union Group, a major seafood exporter, have been found to be infected with the virus, Dr.Naretrith Khatthaseema, the provincial health chief, said today that active tests, conducted by health officials of employees of the company, have confirmed that more than 900 are infected.

He said that the provincial health office has already reported to the Bangkok-based CCSA twice, the infection figures of 541 and 470, adding that the figures came from tests conducted in all the factories affiliated with the company.

21 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Unfortunately more died in your country before breakfast from Covid this morning because a lack of diligence that the whole of last year in Thailand because of the diligence shown by the Thais. 

And more will die again tomorrow before breakfast. Many from the highly contagious UK covid super strain. 

Nothing to laugh about.

You still can't stop comparing countries. Give it a rest.  All we care about is what Thailand is doing and the fabrications or lack of clarity that ensues because of the way they flip flop. Yes we can critique what we see here because we live here and not elsewhere.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

OK, I'l ask the question a different way:

On Wedneday it was reported that 900 cases were found in Samut Sakhon alone.

I can't be sure which day those 900 cases were found but given the time of the post, I presume it was from Tuesday 5 Jan. These are the figures in that post for Tuesday 5 Jan:

The above are exactly the same as reported on worldometers.com so where are those 900 found in Samut Sakhon?

Is this the kind of reporting that enabled Thailand to claim such low figures during the first wave?

This data is already part of the data recorded, spread over several days. That's already reported in the Thai press. Maybe english language papers also, bue I havent seen that. It wasn't "left out". 

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You still can't stop comparing countries. Give it a rest.  All we care about is what Thailand is doing and the fabrications or lack of clarity that ensues because of the way they flip flop. Yes we can critique what we see here because we live here and not elsewhere.

What lack of clarity? Daily reports are available online here (aside form the gap over the new year). Daily testing can also be calculated by comparing the change in total number of tests from day to day - Over 12700 tests were conducted from the 5th to the 6th. 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php?fbclid=IwAR0z6KVnHMHL8qImlTGsVIBcoS3C0wi4eKnrOBmj5tSuhvbHZFYv10x9A1o

4 hours ago, VBF said:

The UK hospital admissions are increasing, presumably due to people mixing over Xmas / New Year

I don't think the same will necessarily occur in Thailand. Many people may have gone back home over new year (from hot spots to non hot spots up country). So if there are any jump in cases in may be up in the provinces. There are not likely to bring new infections back to BKK. Many people also cancelled trips (myself included). 

4 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

Look i give the Thais  one credit Here in Ubonratchathani most are wearing masks No panic buying unlike Brisbane in Australia  So I take my hat off to the Thais  

lol yeah all for a 3-day lockdown! Glad my mum is on the Gold Coast. But no doubt, the same panic shopping will occur there too. Not sure what the deal is with toilet paper. Go Thai style and buy a bum gun.