Cautious optimism as number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand declines for fourth consecutive day

webfact

16 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Should be pretty obvious to everyone really, they are obviously not testing many people so, the less you test, the less people they find positive. Typical Thailand and them wanting to show the world that Thailand are becoming “experts” at everything....

I agree..17.500 tests pr million doesnt impress me at all..here in norway 504.000 pr million..and we are only 5,5 million citicenz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

At a Nurses station, there was one particular Nursing Assistant, who never wore a mask or face Shield from that time until 9.15 AM when the Doctors started to arrive.

All very bad, but this was the Station for Post Natal, so she was in contact with very small babies with no immunity what so ever.

I think I would have politely asked for the floor supervisor and informed them.

Not good for this nurse especially in that environment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The bigger question is how many tests were conducted.  If fewer then the days before you would expect lower numbers.  My side of Bangkok for the past 5 days has been very light on Traffic, and the MRT at less than half capacity when we have utilized it.  The local stores where we shop have few customers, and the carts which usually line the road at the corner of Rama 4 and Sathon Thai Rd in front of the Q house have been reduced to about 1/4 of what it was before.  Yes, it appears people are working from home as well as staying indoors, which will hopefully allow the numbers to keep dropping.  Lumpini Park has also been at about a third of the capacity it normally is during the times we go.  The Condo I reside in has not only closed the Gym but now the pool as well.....

If you can please stay at home too, that would help a lot.  And we would not have to hear about your ill-gotten data! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Quite possibly, but most of those out and about in Bangkok wear them anyway due to the (lack of) air quality so in reality little will actually change. 

Also, it's been quite common to see folks everywhere in Japan wearing masks for decades?

Why? Because Japanese folks believe they have a responsibility to not spread germs to others when they have a common cold, the flu etc.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing polite about it, but if English is not your first language then I apologise.

I have no idea what ‘it’ refers to!  

This seems to be your first post in this thread, or did I miss something!

But no need to apologise to anyone . . . probably! 

— Confused of Tunbridge Wells

The government are so keen to show they're doing everything wonderfully. They refuse to even call this a second wave. We'll never see the true numbers because of limited/next to no testing. Thais have been travelling up and down the country over the holidays but amazingly, the only places with infections are the places where there are road blocks and testing. Sort it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree.

I may actually wear one the rest of my life.

Haven't had a cold, flu or whatever for about a year now wearing one.

You wear one playing golf? My backswing is so short now, I'm worried about the clubhead getting tangled.

24 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

We'll never see the true numbers because of limited/next to no testing. Thais have been travelling up and down the country over the holidays but amazingly, the only places with infections are the places where there are road blocks and testing. Sort it out.

Yep working along side the migrant workers in the factories  are thousands of Thais many of which joined the max exodus back to Issan and the provinces for the New Year holidays.

It would seem that extensive testing in all the regional hubs would follow to contain a chance of further outbreaks, Im sure they are just waiting a week to put this plan into action or maybe not......... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

We should expect another spike due to travel and mixing over New Year. Time lag is usually 1-2 weeks

Here in UK we are just seeing Christmas weekend spike and they are expecting another one in 2-3 weeks from new year holidays, especially in hospital admissions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, farangpaul said:

The Sinovac vaccine only has an efficiency of 70%, hopefully there is a more effective one in private hospitals

Agreed but 70% is far better than 0%. The Thai authorities are not letting the best be the enemy of the good. And they have advanced the procurement programme for the more effective vaccines