Cautious optimism as number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand declines for fourth consecutive day

webfact

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Did you say years?

Because after vaccination you can still get infected and spread the virus (but of course, not show symptoms yourself). Personally, I won't worry if some anti-vaxxer gets infected by me, so I'd probably pass on wearing masks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Because after vaccination you can still get infected and spread the virus (but of course, not show symptoms yourself). Personally, I won't worry if some anti-vaxxer gets infected by me, so I'd probably pass on wearing masks. 

You are a charmer.

34 minutes ago, DavisH said:

This data is already part of the data recorded, spread over several days. That's already reported in the Thai press. Maybe english language papers also, bue I havent seen that. It wasn't "left out". 

I wondered if that was the case but its not clear in the report. Usually they give daily numbers much the same as other countries. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Er, hanging out with Issan people are we? 

Meaning?

If you are getting at what I think you are - get your facts straight. The practice of sharing dishes or using forks and spoons that you have been eating with to serve food goes on in all areas of Thailand - including Bangkok and is not restricted to people from Isaan.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Meaning?

If you are getting at what I think you are - get your facts straight. The practice of sharing dishes or using forks and spoons that you have been eating with to serve food goes on in all areas of Thailand - including Bangkok and is not restricted to people from Isaan.

I have my facts straight. 

Issan people as you say eat their rice with their hands (which I don’t think there is anything wrong with, you were complaining about it, not me) 

And Issan mostly don’t have a serving spoon in the main dishes, they all just use their own. 

In the south, southern people usually use a fork and spoon when eating sticky rice and Issan food and use a serving spoon in shared dishes. And sticky rice down here isn’t as popular, “curries” are more popular with Hom Mali rice, not sticky rice.

You made a generalization about Thais that was really more about Issan people. 
So I suspect most of your Thai people experience is Issan people. Correct?

3 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Actually you don't not even regarding my posts.  I wasn't the one doing any complaining, I just picked up on your reply to someone else.

5 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

In the south, southern people usually use a fork and spoon when eating sticky rice and Issan food and use a serving spoon in shared dishes.

My only experience of the South is Surat Thani, Phuket, Krabi and Koh Lanta and is very different to yours.

7 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Incorrect.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I just picked up on your reply to someone else.

My only experience of the South is Surat Thani, Phuket, Krabi and Koh Lanta and is very different to yours.

Ok, I assumed since you were answering that it was you that made the original comment. 

The original comment that I answered to, whoever it was, was making a Thai generalization, that was really only a generalization of Issan people where eating sticky rice with hands is the common practice.

A lot of negativity on this forum...many scared people!   The Thai people care about this, and seem to be following guidelines to stop the spread...and if this is true, it generally works!  In places like America, many simply WILL NOT wear a mask, let alone follow any other guideline, so the numbers aren't and won't be getting better.  So cheer up...it IS possible that Thailand CAN get this under control.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Unfortunately more died in your country before breakfast from Covid this morning because a lack of diligence that the whole of last year in Thailand because of the diligence shown by the Thais. 

And more will die again tomorrow before breakfast. Many from the highly contagious UK covid super strain. 

Nothing to laugh about.

right one.

Thailand has the new little covid wave already under control. The home countries of most farang? ? well, lets see. The usa has now a daily death rate of almost 4000 ppl. an out of control epidemic. Meanwhile, its citizens the anti mask trump loving crowd storms their governement. Crazy.

If anything its unbelievable the continues cynical attitude of too many farang, totally void of facts. oh well...

Glad to live in Thailand. Happy not to live in the usa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Agree!

Once everybody has been offered the opportunity of being vaccinated, then if people choose not to protect themselves f*** 'em!

But until then, or until and unless it's shown that vaccination prevents you being contagious, I guess masks are still with us.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I don't think the same will necessarily occur in Thailand. Many people may have gone back home over new year (from hot spots to non hot spots up country). So if there are any jump in cases in may be up in the provinces. There are not likely to bring new infections back to BKK. Many people also cancelled trips (myself included). 

True, but still causing a jump in hospital admissions, like here in UK where several areas of the country are seeing spikes not just London.

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Unfortunately more died in your country before breakfast from Covid this morning because a lack of diligence that the whole of last year in Thailand because of the diligence shown by the Thais. 

And more will die again tomorrow before breakfast. Many from the highly contagious UK covid super strain. 

Nothing to laugh about.

Point of order:

There is no "highly contagious UK Covid super strain."

There is a highly contagious Covid super strain that was first discovered in UK, and initially believed to have originated in Holland, though that isn't certain AFAIK.

That strain has been found in many places far too quickly to have simply spread from UK; the discovery is due to the fact that UK scientists have more accurate research techniques than some other countries.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The cases of Covid may have declined for 4 consecutive days, but its not going to last.

Today, I took the Missus for a routine check up at Banglamung Hospital. We arrived at 7.30 AM and sat in the designated waiting area. 

At a Nurses station, there was one particular Nursing Assistant, who never wore a mask or face Shield from that time until 9.15 AM when the Doctors started to arrive.

All very bad, but this was the Station for Post Natal, so she was in contact with very small babies with no immunity what so ever.

And she was the only person that I saw during all that time that did not conform to the rules.

The Wife and I then went to Big C Pattaya Klang.

I saw a Korean not wearing his mask, so told him to do so, we then carried on shopping, and what do you know ? the same Guy I saw again not even 10 minutes later again not wearing a Mask, and this time I was non too polite to the ignorant Guy.

With attitudes such as this there is little hope of containment, and places that are used by the Public who, as a whole are doing the right thing should have Security personnel to eject these rule breakers from the premises or even their Jobs.

Did you happen to be a Stasi officer in the previous life?

• Haha 1

A post containing unattributed content that was copy and pasted from some site without a supporting link has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

A troll post commenting on moderation has been removed as per the following extract from the Forum Rules:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

9 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Issan people as you say eat their rice with their hands (which I don’t think there is anything wrong with, you were complaining about it, not me) 

And Issan mostly don’t have a serving spoon in the main dishes, they all just use their own. 

In the south, southern people usually use a fork and spoon when eating sticky rice and Issan food and use a serving spoon in shared dishes. And sticky rice down here isn’t as popular, “curries” are more popular with Hom Mali rice, not sticky rice.

You shouldn't really have referred to the "South" as what you said is the norm.

I have lived in Chonburi for over 12 years and traveled around Thailand a fair bit and have never seen a group of Thais not using serving spoons. If there is a shortage they would take one from another dish rather than use their own. Around here sticky rice is normally pre wrapped and eaten like a biscuit, only place I have seen it served up in a dish is the Issan style restaurants in the area.

It highlights the ignorance when some try and blame the spread on Thai eating habits.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You still can't stop comparing countries. Give it a rest.  All we care about is what Thailand is doing and the fabrications or lack of clarity that ensues because of the way they flip flop. Yes we can critique what we see here because we live here and not elsewhere.

What a narrow minded attitude, don't you realise it is a "global" pandemic.

If other countries around the globe are "flip flopping", why shouldn't Thailand, only the delusional would expect consistency in a constantly changing environment.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

until the vaccines ramp up and we can return to normal

All good and said, I too am looking forward to the jab, however will it work against the new strain, if and when it comes ?

Well, I suppose we can hope it does, or they can get another vaccine out to counter the new strain much quicker than the current one, looks like we are going to be playing Russian Roulette for a while, your turn ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What a narrow minded attitude, don't you realise it is a "global" pandemic.

If other countries around the globe are "flip flopping", why shouldn't Thailand, only the delusional would expect consistency in a constantly changing environment.

Caring about something in the way you describe is a normal facet of life, caring about things where you live is on a more personal note as it affects you directly as in your personage.  Yes things occurring elsewhere may affect your friends and family but not like what's happening here directly affects you.  Let's put it into the proper perspective and no I am not being short sighted or narrow-minded.  The OP is about Thailand and not about elsewhere so stop trying to hijack a thread and comparing it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Caring about something in the way you describe is a normal facet of life, caring about things where you live is on a more personal note as it affects you directly as in your personage.  Yes things occurring elsewhere may affect your friends and family but not like what's happening here directly affects you.  Let's put it into the proper perspective and no I am not being short sighted or narrow-minded.  The OP is about Thailand and not about elsewhere so stop trying to hijack a thread and comparing it.

When the problem is MORE than 1000 times worse in the country you came from, and you carry on about daily, it makes you appear that you have other “issues”. 

A bit like someone from Alaska coming to live in Thailand and then complain daily that it isn’t warm enough here. 

And as @sandyf states it is a global problem, which your country is considerably contributing to at about 25% compared to Thailand’s less than a quarter of 1%. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2