Health Minister mulls no free medical treatment for gamblers or illegal Thai immigrants

rooster59

13 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Today is my first time back to thaivisa in a while, and its taken me about 4, maybe 5 posts to remind myself why I always leave this place. 

Im off to do something productive now. See ya. 

See ya too, must be sad for you seeing your leader lose and now someone trying to show that legally hospitals bill both in Thailand and in the US. Its just that they go after the person paying a bit more in Thailand. Does not make it free healthcare in the US. 

Free healthcare would be if there is no bill. Not about how much they pursue their debitors.

If you knew anything about businesses you knew that they would only pursue debitors that they know they have a chance to collect from. Otherwise they make costs for nothing (for pursuing the debt).

Also your idea of saying that the payment capabilities of an illigal immigrant and a say foreign retiree are the same is laughable. 

Also let us not forget Thailand has quite a lot unpaid bills too from foreigners. So they have the same problem as the US and other countries. I got news articles to prove it.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

See ya too, must be sad for you seeing your leader lose and now someone trying to show that legally hospitals bill both in Thailand and in the US. Its just that they go after the person paying a bit more in Thailand. Does not make it free healthcare in the US. 

Free healthcare would be if there is no bill. Not about how much they pursue their debitors.

If you knew anything about businesses you knew that they would only pursue debitors that they know they have a chance to collect from. Otherwise they make costs for nothing (for pursuing the debt).

Also your idea of saying that the payment capabilities of an illigal immigrant and a say foreign retiree are the same is laughable. 

Also let us not forget Thailand has quite a lot unpaid bills too from foreigners. So they have the same problem as the US and other countries. I got news articles to prove it.

California Approves Law Giving Health Benefits To Undocumented Adults : NPR

New York Mayor de Blasio Announces Free Healthcare For Illegal Aliens (newspunch.com)

No money or insurance? Can Hospitals Turn Patients Away? - APRA (americanpatient.org)

Again I have gone off OP, but to stay on topic are there similar laws here in Thailand that cover anyone other than those with work permits or Thai citizens.  Yes many of us have our own health Insurance plans but for those that don't I don't believe you can seek treatment without money anymore.  Now in a life threatening emergency you probably will receive treatment but they will require payment before you leave the hospital, I hope I am wrong.  I can not seem to find ay laws that say it is mandatory they treat you and not turn you away if you show up at the hospital for a medical issue that may not be an immediate life threatening issue here.  Can someone post a link proving that they have to treat you here no matter what like what I have linked above from whence I came from.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Oh do Thais coming to the USA free healthcare ? Thais coming to my country need an insurance to get in. 

Can you explain to me why you should get free healthcare. Your not a Thai or have a Thai passport.

If your a foreigner working in Thailand paying taxes you often do get free healthcare (because you pay for it)

Unfortunately, not even having a work permit grants us free medical care. It should, as we pay taxes. Fortunately, my wife is a civil servant and I'm covered under that scheme. Foreigners really need decent medical coverage living here - and I know many that have none or minimal coverage. 

Edited by DavisH

You'd think that The Thai Health Minister would be a public health professional with degrees in medicine and public health.

The current Health Ministry has no such qualifications.  But TIT.  Money and power gets you a cabinet position that you have no qualifications for.  Hence you get policy decisions that have nothing to do with protecting the health and welfare of the entire population.  You get moralistic dictates to keep the poor commoners in line even if doing so creates the conditions to spread a pandemic across the country as infected people of a certain classes who have been labelled non-persona are no longer worthy of treatment - now fail to seek treatment and thus become active spreaders.

It seems the current crop of 'leaders' are more interested in making sure the commoners toe the line regarding morality laws (gambling, prostitution, drug and alcohol use, etc) by making the treatment of a disease effecting the entire world off-limits to those who fail to obey.

What utter madness.  If they pass this and create an epidemic, I hope it leads to perhaps putting someone into the Health Minister cabinet position who actually has the qualifications.  There will be an object lesson for sure.  Whether the power elites learn anything?  That would be debatable.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Unfortunately, not even having a work permit grants us free medical care. It should, as we pay taxes. Fortunately, my wife is a civil servant and I'm covered under that scheme. Foreigners really need decent medical coverage living here - and I know many that have none or minimal coverage. 

If you have a workpermit and are not employed as the director of your own company you do get free medical healthcare. I know quite a few people working for Thai companies who are getting free medical care from the Thai government. So unless its your own company you can get it. 

Not sure why you cant get it as a director of a company.  (dont know why this rule exists)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

California Approves Law Giving Health Benefits To Undocumented Adults : NPR

New York Mayor de Blasio Announces Free Healthcare For Illegal Aliens (newspunch.com)

No money or insurance? Can Hospitals Turn Patients Away? - APRA (americanpatient.org)

Again I have gone off OP, but to stay on topic are there similar laws here in Thailand that cover anyone other than those with work permits or Thai citizens.  Yes many of us have our own health Insurance plans but for those that don't I don't believe you can seek treatment without money anymore.  Now in a life threatening emergency you probably will receive treatment but they will require payment before you leave the hospital, I hope I am wrong.  I can not seem to find ay laws that say it is mandatory they treat you and not turn you away if you show up at the hospital for a medical issue that may not be an immediate life threatening issue here.  Can someone post a link proving that they have to treat you here no matter what like what I have linked above from whence I came from.

Actually life threatening they can't send you away. But you will have to pay. Its only normal you have to pay for your healthcare. Sherryl can tell you as i seen it before in the health section. However they will always try to make you pay. There were more then a few articles in the BKK post that hospitals can't send people away if the situation is life threatening. 

Free healthcare is not available in the USA maybe in some places like New York (personally i find it  wrong to give it to undocumented aliens) Undocumented aliens should be send away not helped. (of course in medical emergencies other things count).

So you found 2 places in the whole of the USA that do give free healthcare (though California is big huge to be honest). I find it wrong but that is just my opinion. Especially if your not paying into the system.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30313040

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, connda said:
4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This article raises a very, VERY interesting question. Read the full article and you will come across this:

''Section 47 of the Constitution, which states that every individual is eligible to protection and treatment for dangerous diseases by the state, free of charge.''

Does that include us do you suppose?

1 hour ago, connda said:

I had this discussion with my wife a while back after I bought a Covid policy, as I'm sure if you pop a positive PCR test you'll be forced into hospitalization and handed a bill on the way out the door.

She told me the same thing.  Regardless of the immigration status of a foreign national - legal or illegal, the cost of treatment for Covid was free as it has been declared a pandemic and a danger to the public health of Thailand.  She gave me examples of illegals from Myanmar who are being treated for free.  I ask her if her news sources have talked about the Covid treatment of any farangs legally living in Thailand for free?  I got no answer. 
As I don't trust Thai officialdom, I have insurance specially to cover Covid.  It's dirt cheap. 

Which should also tell the astute observer something.  Insurance underwriters are offering Covid policies 100K/1M polies for under 1000 THB.  Underwriting is making a risk assessment and allowing the public to make a legal bet.  The insurance company is taking your small premium and betting your aren't going to file a claim.  Just saying...it gives you pretty good idea of what insurance companies think the risk is of you contracting Covid.  Infinitesimally small.

During a conversion about the Thai Chana App yesterday, (which I can't find now) a poster said that he had phoned the Thai Chana helpline and asked the question directly. 'Do foreigners get a free test and treatment if they use the App' and was told yes to both.

That, of course is hearsay, it does make me wonder, given the paragraph in the article that I quoted.

However I'm going along with what you say about the risk of actually catching the disease being very small. Given where I live and my lifestyle, despite being one of those in the so called 'vulnerable group', I don't think there's the slightest chance of me catching it.

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

No, Thailand will withhold care, hold you in the hospital, keep or take your passport, and hold you hostage until you pay, and blast you across the media. 

The states will give you care and let you go, and everything is confidential. 

Not same. 

Not true by a longshot.

I recently underwent emergency treatment at Siriat and was given  excellent care.

I was charged :Farang rate" ie +25% released whilst still owing 90% of the bill after agreeing to pay the outstanding monthly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

there is not even a free covid test for farang people living here for years, decades, married, working, retired...

strange as foreigners get all that for free in our home country, specially for covid control, otherwise it would be called RACISM

Lol, present with COVID symptoms then tell them you're fine and don't really need a test and see what happens when you walk out into the street.

Your free test will arrive very quickly.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

During a conversion about the Thai Chana App yesterday, (which I can't find now) a poster said that he had phoned the Thai Chana helpline and asked the question directly. 'Do foreigners get a free test and treatment if they use the App' and was told yes to both.

That, of course is hearsay, it does make me wonder, given the paragraph in the article that I quoted.

However I'm going along with what you say about the risk of actually catching the disease being very small. Given where I live and my lifestyle, despite being one of those in the so called 'vulnerable group', I don't think there's the slightest chance of me catching it.

you got it! Thai's always have an answer, if it's the right answer is the problem.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The local governments and hospitals there can not decline treatment, and the monies are obtained through the Government and of course the citizens bear the brunt by increases in insurance.  Obama care is also mandatory but the welfare programs put in by states such as California give illegals more rights then even some citizens.  Yes crazy.  However, this OP is regarding Thailand and I have strayed against my own wishes to enlighten you and others.

Obama care is not mandatory anymore they did away with the requirement to have it or some other insurance or be fined 

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Health Minister mulls no free medical treatment for gamblers or illegal Thai immigrants

unless those gamblers or illegal thai immigrants are kept outside of the thai territorial borders, denying them medical treatment would be counterproductive because those gamblers/illegal immigrants would remain a source of contamination

On 1/11/2021 at 6:10 AM, Pique Dard said:

unless those gamblers or illegal thai immigrants are kept outside of the thai territorial borders, denying them medical treatment would be counterproductive because those gamblers/illegal immigrants would remain a source of contamination

Lock them up in an internment camp