Democrats poised to impeach defiant Trump over storming of U.S. Capitol

webfact

Impeachment in the House requires a simple majority..In the Senate, after trial, it requires a 2/3 vote in favor of impeachment. Not likely to get 16 Republicians, or 18 depending on vote date, to vote with the Democrats.. The pundits I follow say if they do impeach after the 20th it will end up in the Supreme Court where it will be shot down as unconstitunal..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/politics/mcconnell-backs-trump-impeachment.html

McConnell Privately Backs Impeachment as House Moves to Charge Trump

The House formally called on Vice President Mike Pence to move to wrest power from the president, as Republican support built for impeaching him of inciting violence against the nation.

WASHINGTON — Senator Mitch McConnell has concluded that President Trump committed impeachable offenses and believes that Democrats’ move to impeach him will make it easier to purge Mr. Trump from the party, according to people familiar with Mr. McConnell’s thinking.

The private assessment of Mr. McConnell, the most powerful Republican in Congress, emerged on the eve of a House vote to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country for his role in whipping up a mob of his supporters who stormed the Capitol while lawmakers met to formalize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory.

In a sign that the dam could be breaking against Mr. Trump in a party that has long been unfailingly loyal to him, Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican in the House, announced her intention to support the single charge of high crimes and misdemeanors, as other party leaders declined to formally lobby rank-and-file lawmakers to oppose it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Maybe...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/13/gop-inches-toward-desperate-decoupling-with-trump/

The GOP inches toward a desperate decoupling with Trump

The Washington Post has confirmed that McConnell believes Trump probably committed impeachable offenses with his conduct before the siege of the Capitol. Mind you, McConnell hasn’t committed to voting against Trump, but the fact that he’s even considering it sent shock waves through Washington.

McConnell’s move could be understood a number of ways, including as a genuine matter of conviction. He played along for a time, but McConnell went out front among congressional Republicans in declaring the presidential election over, so it’s not like he’s a newcomer to denouncing Trump’s effort to overturn the election.

But even if that’s the case — and whatever you think of McConnell — he’s a skilled political operator. It’s difficult to view this as anything other than a calculated threat. Trump is staring down the barrel of becoming the first president in history to be impeached twice, and McConnell’s reported posture indicates he could also be the first to actually suffer a conviction vote in the Senate.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GSFISM said:

Impeachment in the House requires a simple majority..In the Senate, after trial, it requires a 2/3 vote in favor of impeachment. Not likely to get 16 Republicians, or 18 depending on vote date, to vote with the Democrats.. The pundits I follow say if they do impeach after the 20th it will end up in the Supreme Court where it will be shot down as unconstitunal..

All the republicans have to do is not show up for the vote.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, candide said:

Spot on!

The Constitution doesn’t indicate that removal from office requires two-thirds of the Senate. It requires two-thirds of senators present for the proceedings.

Is that a likely outcome, that most republicans wont show up in senate?

8 hours ago, J Town said:

Hoping HELL! Some of them are planning in all 50 states and D.C.

I have my doubt.  They are cowards and even they can see that the hammer is going to come down hard on them if they do.  FBI looking at giving out felonies like it's christmas.  I'll put my money on the internet tough guys all turning into the cowards they are.  It definitely does help that twitter/facebook took away trumps megaphone.

Then again, these people keep surprising me at just how dumb they are so I supposed anything is possible.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Virt said:

Is that a likely outcome, that most republicans wont show up in senate?

It would be enough to have around one third of them not showing up or voting against Trump. It's now difficult to predict as it seems the Senate trial will be postponed by several weeks after Biden's inauguration. The political context may be different then.

• Like 1

Impeached.

Think they said around 10 Reps voted for it.

The Senate's Republican majority leader, Mitch McConnell, rejected Democratic calls to convene the Senate in emergency session to begin an immediate impeachment trial, according to a spokesman.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/house-moves-to-impeach-president-donald-trump/13055290

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

Twice impeached he’s a real #2 if you get my drift kudos to the 10 courageous republicans putting their careers on the line for principles and the country now that’s he’s charged let’s get him convicted he’s an epic disgrace and failure of a president now convict!!

House impeaches Trump after U.S. Capitol siege; his fate in Senate hands

By David Morgan and Richard Cowan

2021-01-13T214749Z_1_LYNXMPEH0C1RH_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-CONGRESS-PELOSI.JPG

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) presides over the vote to impeach President Donald Trump for a second time, a week after his supporters stormed the Capitol building, on the floor of the House of Representatives in Washington January 13, 2021. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to make Donald Trump the first U.S. president ever to be impeached twice, formally charging him in his waning days in power with inciting an insurrection just a week after a violent mob of his supporters stormed the Capitol.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1201470-house-impeaches-trump-after-us-capitol-siege-his-fate-in-senate-hands/