Is Tops supermarket getting worse?

Irrumator

I haven't noticed any problems at the bigger Tops near me. I always use the self-checkout and that always works fine, including for the 2 for 1 offers and the like. I don't think all of the offers only apply to The 1 Card members and it's marked if they do.

• Like 1

Just now, Andy from Kent said:

Sometimes life doesn't seem fair.

Try Index or Home Pro.    Same policy.

Just learn to live with it.

You should have read the first line in my post, which said, I NEVER go to Tops, so it doesn't bother me. It was just a question, and a reason more to never visit Tops.

No need to learn living with it.

By the way In my 27 years here I have visited Index maybe twice, definitely never bought any of their <deleted>, and I avoid overpriced Home pro also as much as possible. Though at the times I have bought something there, I never noticed that their promotions are available only to members.

14 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

TOPS discounts only apply to people who have a "ONE" membership card. If you don't have one, you don't get the discounted price. Takes 2 minutes to get one. It collects points for you, but not generously so and no idea how to redeem them. I just got one so I would get the discount or 2 for 1 offers.

I agree that the check out service is poor, but then again at Tesco Lotus round here it is rare to see 2 checkouts actually staffed.

TOPS is also pretty expensive on most of the items I want, so Makro and Foodland get most of my business, even thought the TOPS on Kaonoi is closer. Handy for odds and ends though, if you can deal with the check out issues.

That is not my experience here in Pattaya. With or without card you will get all the promotions. If you have a card and enough points you simply go to the customer care counter with the card and a passport to get a coupon. This coupon you can use at the cashier like money. There are also other shops where you can collect points. For instance Power Pro and others. You will get the information with the card.

1 hour ago, Irrumator said:

As well as that, they don't seem to have as many cashiers on duty as before.

I second this.

Here in Khon Kaen its a quite an impertinence that you often have to join lengthy queues at one of the most expensive supermarkets. You might have to swallow it at cheap cash&carry shops but not at TOPS.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IME cash is a lot quicker

It is.

I "love" to watch the QR code payers fiddling endless on their mobile.

I think the problems with quality in the stores is falling everywhere, not just TOPS. And it's not just supermarkets. Thai shops have a lot of staff ;lingering around that know nothing about what their shops sell. Many are literally useless in finding anything.

The major supermarkets like BigC and Lotus offer horrible foods they prepare. It's as if they have no one who can cook or bake anything edible. Every time I go to these places, I just shake my head at what they offer. It's almost like they want to go out of business. But who knows, maybe Thais are so poor that they can't afford to buy anything prepared other than a boring fried fish, fried hotdogs and tasteless pastries.

On top of those, I think some businesses offering products to these shops aren't doing well and may be ending their distribution in Thailand. I just get that feeling as I see more and more western products disappearing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Irrumator said:

Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in service at Tops supermarkets?

Is it just me or have other people noticed these issues?

No, the Tops supermarkets i buy from in Thonglor, Central Rama 3, Summer Hut Phra Khanong (all in Bangkok) are all good, no serious complaints.

22 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Just take the yellow promotion sticker to the cashier with you  when you check out as that will save you a bit of arguing when they try to charge you the full price and tell you its not on promotion.

At Tops there is no problem - just can talk about the stores in Pattaya. If you don't have the card the cashier scans a no-name card instead of yours. The price will be the same with or without card. The only difference is that you don't get points that you can redeem. 

In respect of available articles I make the same experience like others. More and more items are missing at the moment and some special offers are in a way that you better check again. And egg prices are exploding in some shops - here especially at Tops. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Oldie said:

And egg prices are exploding in some shops - here especially at Tops. 

I notice also, though eggs at Makro have never been so cheap.

I always buy the MKR eggs at Makro, 45 Baht for 10 eggs size 0

I mostly use TOPS but pretty much exclusively online for water, mixers, non-fresh and domestic products, anything I can't be bothered to carry or just find it a chore to shop for.  Order roughly every 10-14 days for home delivery which is free over 900 baht and with COD, much more convenient IMO.  Never had a problem with their online service or delivery.  

Sometimes it's nice to browse shelves in a store but packs of Hygiene fabric conditioner, Omo, shampoo, shower gel, sugar and oats are not much to get excited about.  They e-mail us loads of vouchers giving between 80-200 baht off, depending on the size of the order (1 Card Membership) and frequently send us freebies ranging from cleaning stuff to laundry baskets (3 so far LOL) and plastic storage boxes.  Brilliant service IMO and easy to see the promos, only visit stores now for fresh produce and then it's mostly Foodland or Villa, for meat and things like sausage, bacon, pies etc we use Bunters, again online with home delivery.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, timendres said:

Not much of a confirmation, but in the past month, I have purchased 2 for 1 bakery products, and no problem getting the 2 for 1 discount applied automatically at checkout. This in the Century Mall at Sukhumvit 81 Bangkok.

BOGO is my favorite (Buy one Get one)

13 hours ago, Susco said:

I never go to Tops, because no convenient location for me, but you mean discounts labelled on the shelves, apply only to members?

If so pretty confusing, and misleading, if you ask me

It's written on the discount label, so not really confusing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Point taken about phones, IME cash is a lot quicker.

I like True Money. Quicker than cash for me at 7-11 and Taco Bell. The scan is quick, no waiting for change, and there's extra points if you're an All or True member.

At Makro I use my Krung Thai app to scan Makro's QR code at the register, and that's really quick also. Tops must have a really bad system.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

TOPS discounts only apply to people who have a "ONE" membership card. If you don't have one, you don't get the discounted price. Takes 2 minutes to get one. It collects points for you, but not generously so and no idea how to redeem them. I just got one so I would get the discount or 2 for 1 offers.

I agree that the check out service is poor, but then again at Tesco Lotus round here it is rare to see 2 checkouts actually staffed.

TOPS is also pretty expensive on most of the items I want, so Makro and Foodland get most of my business, even thought the TOPS on Kaonoi is closer. Handy for odds and ends though, if you can deal with the check out issues.

I've had the One card for about 16 years.

22 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I haven't noticed any problems at the bigger Tops near me. I always use the self-checkout and that always works fine, including for the 2 for 1 offers and the like. I don't think all of the offers only apply to The 1 Card members and it's marked if they do.

Ah, now that's another bugbear I forgot to put in my OP - the self checkouts.  

Every time I try to use one and enter my phone number (lost my card) I scan the first item and immediately it says 'An attendant is coming' or something similar, but they never do come ...

If they don't, then there are times I have just left everything there and walk away.  Let them sort out their mess.

22 hours ago, time2093 said:

Just take the yellow promotion sticker to the cashier with you  when you check out as that will save you a bit of arguing when they try to charge you the full price and tell you its not on promotion.

Ha!  The yellow stickers are stuck ON the product so the cashier HAS to see it.  I had a cashier just last week and I took a discounted  packet with one on it, she scanned it and it came up the full price and it was NOT deducted on the receipt.

I told her and she did nothing and started looking at the next customer so I asked her to get a supervisor.  She didn't want to so I pointed to the sticker and explained - she hadn't the faintest idea what to do and luckily I saw someone and called her over.

They applied the discount but yet again, they had to void everything and start all over again and yet more wasted time and disgruntled customers.  I don't mind if it happens occasionally, but it's every blasted  bleedin' time recently.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, userabcd said:

My experience is to get the discounted price one has to give the membership number (tel number) and then the cheaper price is applied to one's bill.

This one issue many peopled do not seem to be able to understand.

Edited by orchis

With not speaking the language I have to say my shopping experience at Makro, Big C, Tops is all good. I have left my wallet behind in Tops, I have missed 2 for 1 offers in Big C ( rectified by the checkout girl ) and have had massive assistance in Makro when searching for something as simple as Saxa salt.

None of them understand my pigeon Thai, but I go armed with pictures of products on my phone.

No complaints here.

Edit: 

image.jpeg.65280136bf3f92b7349e456615967562.jpeg

A couple of years ago on my bike I did 90 kilometres to Maesai to try and buy this sauce and marinade from two new stores in Maesai. A Tesco Lotus and on the other side of the road a Makro. They were both huge, and I mean huge.

I showed this pic and Tesco didn't have it, mai mi, Makro had one packet, I came home totally dispirited.

All I can say is whatever stocktaking system these stores use just doesn't work.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

17 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

With not speaking the language I have to say my shopping experience at Makro, Big C, Tops is all good. I have left my wallet behind in Tops, I have missed 2 for 1 offers in Big C ( rectified by the checkout girl ) and have had massive assistance in Makro when searching for something as simple as Saxa salt.

None of them understand my pigeon Thai, but I go armed with pictures of products on my phone.

No complaints here.

Edit: 

image.jpeg.65280136bf3f92b7349e456615967562.jpeg

A couple of years ago on my bike I did 90 kilometres to Maesai to try and buy this sauce and marinade from two new stores in Maesai. A Tesco Lotus and on the other side of the road a Makro. They were both huge, and I mean huge.

I showed this pic and Tesco didn't have it, mai mi, Makro had one packet, I came home totally dispirited.

All I can say is whatever stocktaking system these stores use just doesn't work.

Stock control with all supermarkets here is general abysmal, in my experience.  

3 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

Stock control with all supermarkets here is general abysmal, in my experience.  

From my online experience Tops has rather good stock control (many times better than Tesco - at least for knowing what is in stock) but sale items are often out of stock with both while sales are still running (and naturally there are no rain checks here).