‘Vaccine passports’ could allow foreigners to visit Thailand without quarantine: TAT

webfact

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Lucky that it isn’t the other way around.

Because if it was many on this forum would be crying racism against the farang. 
Others would be repeating the often used myth that Thailand is a “vassal state” of their Chinese “overlords”. 

With the current out of control outbreak in the USA and the new highly infectious mutant UK covid strain variant ripping through Europe personally I would rather see the Koreans and Japanese first in line.

The Medical Profession worldwide is a lot more concerned about a new strain of Virus that has emerged in South Africa, and another from Brazil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Yuley said:

As soon as international travel starts again I am on the next plane.

I am more likely to get killed in a taxi ride from airport to hotel in Bangkok than get Covid at the airport. 

LOL

I doubt that.  I've not heard of 75 people dying in taxi from the airport.  And we've got around 15,000 CV19 cases.  Since they don't test much here, figure that number is orders of magnitude greater.

I can't wait to travel also.  But only when I don't have to worry about being in a country and having the borders closed while I'm there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

Even if not 10-14 days quarantine in thailand, tourists will have it in return to their countries (already to the UK, and now also to the USA).

There is currently no requirement for tourists returning from Thailand to the UK or USA to enter quarantine.  Even when quarantine is introduced (as seems probable) it is still unlikely to affect anyone travelling from Thailand to these places.

Well lets just hope that Covid doesn't turn out to be one of those pesky influenza type viruses that rapidly evolves and mutates, so that a new vaccine is required every year, otherwise this proposal probably won't work, as it would require the production / updating of a new passport every year. 

I mean there is only one strain of covid isn't there? (rhetorical question). 

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Well lets just hope that Covid doesn't turn out to be one of those pesky influenza type viruses that rapidly evolves and mutates, so that a new vaccine is required every year, otherwise this proposal probably won't work, as it would require the production / updating of a new passport every year. 

That's exactly what's happening.  It's mutating.  And new jabs are probably going to be required for these.  Or at least a booster.

2 hours ago, rabang said:

Where do you get that idea? There is a massive pent up demand for international travel and contrary to many beliefs many people have more money than ever because they haven't been able to spend it, if they have kept their jobs of course. I just saw a local travel agency stating that the demand for next winter's holiday packages to Thailand was even six times higher than a year ago, pre-Covid.

Not so sure I'd believe what a local travel agent said. How long does a holiday package last? A few days to a few weeks, so 2 weeks Q in Thailand, and more than likely 2 weeks Q when you fly back home. For what? Just to sit under a coconut tree? Add running the risk of contracting covid inside an airplane or at an airport, plus the visa/permission, covid tests/insurance costs...then if there's a major outbreak of a new strain you risk being caught in a lockdown, unable to return home to your job & family, so you find yourself stuck in a foreign country. And at the present time Thailand is not particularly a nice destination with many bars/restaurants/shops/businesses shut, and long lines of Thais for handouts, plus rising xenophobia (been reports of foreigners not allowed on buses & trains).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Supasorn said under the proposals, vaccinated tourists from the United States and Europe could start arriving in Thailand as early as March or April

In your dreams pal .. though it is quite likely to be the way forward it will take mths to set up such a scheme .. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

????????????

and then you and the Governor of TAT suddenly woke up...

That all countries dependent on tourism will be open up as soon as is politically feasible has nothing to do with TAT.

As I said, many in this forum have a strong desire to see Thailand punished, but reality doesn't care about the chip on your shoulder.

By the end of January, over 80 million doses will have been injected into arms in 57 countries. By the end of February, it will be 250 million doses. With more vaccines coming on stream and the manufacturing capacity for the existing vaccines being increased, it is quite likely that, by the summer, 1 billion doses will have been delivered, meaning 500 million innoculated humans, disproportionately from wealthy countries. By the time we get to the high season, we are probably looking at a billion innoculated people.

If you think that Thailand isn't going to follow the lead of the airlines, and the vast majority of other countries, and is instead going to sit out the triumphant return of its tourist industry, you're crazy.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I doubt that.  I've not heard of 75 people dying in taxi from the airport.  And we've got around 15,000 CV19 cases.  Since they don't test much here, figure that number is orders of magnitude greater.

I can't wait to travel also.  But only when I don't have to worry about being in a country and having the borders closed while I'm there. 

15,000 cases. really. and 75 deaths.

Can you tell me Thailand's yearly death toll from road accidents.

Im sure they have had far more than 75 today.

Obviously you dont know much about Thailand and how many road deaths they have on a yearly basis. 

And even on the very remote chance I get Covid, i have a 98% of surviving,. even higher as im 45 and no pre existing medical conditions.

Edited by Big Yuley
spelling
  • Sad 1

F.F.S. TAT. You don't even know how good these vaccines are yet! 

There are people dying within a 2 week period of getting a vaccine. Also, you can still carry the virus even if you are vaccinated. So , you would allow incoming carriers to come into Thailand knowing full well that no one in Thailand has been vaccinated yet.

It's not rocket science !!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Smilermike said:

F.F.S. TAT. You don't even know how good these vaccines are yet! 

There are people dying within a 2 week period of getting a vaccine. Also, you can still carry the virus even if you are vaccinated. So , you would allow incoming carriers to come into Thailand knowing full well that no one in Thailand has been vaccinated yet.

It's not rocket science !!

i think its a good idea, however not now.

Surely this kind of program doesnt or shouldnt come into effect until the vast majority of Thai residents are vaccinated.

And this is from someone in Australia who still hasnt seen his 6 month old baby boy that was born in Thailand in July, and cant wait to see him for the first time 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

The vaccine does not rule out a person being infected, it prevents the infected person from becoming critically or seriously ill. 

It is an immune system response "preview" , which allows the body to be prepared to defend once infected.

A vaccinated tourist can still host and distribute the virus despite their vaccination. 

just like many other viruses and vaccines

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shaul19 said:

I am vaccinated and want to visit again Thailand. Do I will need also a special visa with the green passport ( that how they are calling hear the vaccine certification) 

No, just get whatever visa you need, do quarantine, enjoy Thailand.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhat myopic. 

What about the workers who support the other 78% of Thailands GDP ?

Vaccinate those in high risk groups, the elderly first, front line workers (medical families). 

Then those who work with the pubic etc etc...  which of course includes those in the tourism industry. 

Then it will be another year as most travel related people would be in the last group to receive the vaccine as they are young.

Trying to do this by the numbers is making for a very slow program in the usa. Lots of unused vaccine sitting on shelves as they try to get the right people in to vaccinate in an orderly way.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhat myopic. 

What about the workers who support the other 78% of Thailands GDP ?

Point is to stop the virus at its point of entry

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Nobody is certain if you can or you cannot, so the worldwide assumption is that you probably can.  

Just like our vaccines may only work for a year.  

Stay tuned.

Dont need to share the source. Data not yet available. Will be in next few weeks.

Argument is that the vaccine prepares the immune system. When (if) you catch covid, you can fight more efficiently. Meaning fewer or even no symptoms.

But if youve caught this communicable desease, you can still pass it on. Though obviously since youve neutralised most if not all, the charge you could pass on is much reduced.

The answer is really the general answer of think in tones of grey as answers are never black and white, its rarely all or nothing, always nuanced.

This is what I'm hoping for ... only question is will they accept the yellow WHO vaccination booklet? Or insist on some special Covid passport?

I most definitely prefer the first, but I'd do the second if need be. 

• Like 2

I don’t understand why the emphasis is on visitors being vaccinated. Even if they have had the jab, it’s my understanding that they can carry the virus and pass it to the local population.

if the emphasis was on vaccinating the local population, then who cares if visitors are vaccinated or not because locals wouldn’t get sick.

of course this passport brainwave came from TAT not the health ministry and we all know TAT just want visitors to be  in Thailand, no matter the health consequences 

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

won't work?  why not if it's an ID-card sized passport with embedded chip that contains data on your latest vaccination?

you've got credit cards, bank accounts?  they're updated daily.  you get your covid pass updated after each annual(?) vaccination or booster shot.  card reader at airport immigration checks covid pass data with latest daily updated international movement requirements.

super easy...barely an inconvenience.

• Like 2