‘Vaccine passports’ could allow foreigners to visit Thailand without quarantine: TAT

webfact

10 hours ago, WineOh said:

Vaccine passports are a good idea, but...

Why would anybody fly 6,000 miles to visit deserted beaches, shuttered attractions & closed bars/restaurants? 

The impact that this pandemic has had on Thailand's once flourishing hospitality industry has been crippling. 

Many businesses have shut their doors for good.

Not to mention the fact that many foreigners have also lost their jobs in the west due this virus.

Yesterday I took a stroll down Khaosan Road & Patpong and it was eerily quiet at both locations.

I spoke to a few locals and they told me they don't know if many places will ever open again.

It's going to take years to get back to any form of normality, for locals & westerners alike. 

I would love to go to a deserted Thailand where it is my gf, me and only other Thai's. This is the main reason I want to go right now. I don't even mind the ASQ, but the paperwork is a headache. I love places with no tourists. 

1 hour ago, eastendanto said:

Big assumption that Vaccine passports are going to become reality...

Here's an idea let everyone who has a passport bring it along to their vaccination centre and when they get the jab they also get a 

bona fide vaccine stamp of certification in their passport....nah....to <deleted> easy... lets create a global bureaucratic mish mash

of processes that cost taxpayer time, money and <deleted> poor management of the whole thing.

Those who don't have a passport and get vaccinated then follow some other process dreamed up by some non descript human

money making machine working in public service somewhere.

yeah because it would be so very difficult to fraudulently copy a stamp.

Jeez I might need to go to Officeworks and pay $12.50 to make it. 

Lol. At least you gave me a good laugh for the day????????

4 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

I would love to go to a deserted Thailand where it is my gf, me and only other Thai's. This is the main reason I want to go right now. I don't even mind the ASQ, but the paperwork is a headache. I love places with no tourists. 

your girlfriend?

You mean the one you share with hundreds of others when you are not in town.

How does the saying go?

You dont lose your girl, you only lose your place in the line. 

Here is a novel idea for Novel Coronavirus....Thailand approve Moderna and Pfizer, allow private hospitals to buy and distribute to supplement the gov't initiative  with the Oxford vaccine, speed up the vaccination program and allow vaccinated travelers to enter without more than a 4 day quarantine and a negative COVID test. Just got back from Mae Hong Son - it is a ghost town like so many other places in Thailand - people are really suffering under the current government approach with no real vaccination effort in sight for months - a novel idea is needed now

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And the breaking news next week.........Prayut says vaccine passports won't end quarantine.  These announcements are getting boring and the response to them is predictable.

Well it probably will the problem in Thailand needs to get around 70 percent or so of its population inoculated.

I suspect the end of 2023, LOL.  Maybe end of 2022?  Maybe!

6 minutes ago, Netzero said:

Here is a novel idea for Novel Coronavirus....Thailand approve Moderna and Pfizer, allow private hospitals to buy and distribute to supplement the gov't initiative  with the Oxford vaccine, speed up the vaccination program and allow vaccinated travelers to enter without more than a 4 day quarantine and a negative COVID test. Just got back from Mae Hong Son - it is a ghost town like so many other places in Thailand - people are really suffering under the current government approach with no real vaccination effort in sight for months - a novel idea is needed now

Here's another novel idea allow private entities to import approved vaccines then buy shedloads of the stuff and then on sell for ten fold the price to those willing to pay to get in early. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, connda said:

And yet from the Mayo Clinic:
"A vaccine may not prevent you from getting the COVID-19 virus. But if you do get it, the vaccination may keep you from becoming seriously ill."  <Google it.  It's out there>
So if you get the vaccine, and you can still get Covid, then that means you can still "carry (the) infection or transfer it" which means I'm still totally confused.  You get the vaccine you can still get Covid, carry it, and transmit it.  But you get a Vaccination Passport which allow you to .... <my head hurts>, show that you're not a carrier of a virus you may be carrying?  (I've got a headache).  ????

For a Cornovirus flu that kills 0.06% of those who get it and primarily those over the age of 65 (Raises hand - "That's me!!!")

Ok - why not.  Let's just take the entire world's economy off a cliff, well except for the Big Boys i.e., major multi global international mega-corporations who are anointed as "Essential Businesses." 
Yeah.  Why not?  Make perfect sense to me.

it proves my point ..... would i refuse such a passport giving me quarantine free access .... HELL NO ! ...., but i am only human ..... and in real honesty ...i still could infect or carry the virus .... so to be very honest ...it sucks to allow persons entry whiteout quarantine ...., but tempting for many 

2 hours ago, dash said:

How to get a vaccine passport when I can not enter Thailand and go to KSR ? By mail ? or email?

of course....  the vaccine you get in your country before entering Thailand , just the covid test is extra safety measure 

56 minutes ago, Yewbzee said:

This is nothing new at all. I've been using a vaccine "passport" for international work travel for the last 10+ years. It's a small yellow passport sized booklet. AKA a vaccination record, signed off by the clinic doing the vaccines and includes every vaccination Ive had in the last decade. I've had to show it many times in certain parts of the world.

No new wheel needs reinventing on this.

In that case, I've been using it since the 1960, probably before.  I have one filed in my file cabinet.  Small booklet with all the shots I had before coming to the Land Of Shots (LOS) over a decade before.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

COVID is already in Thailand and probably has been for months. They're fooling themselves if they think tourists are going to make the situation worse.

How is being vaccinated different from already having COVID? You can still carry the virus either way I believe.

People from South Africa or elsewhere could bring that variant which is much worse, so there is a point to control entry.

As for herd immunity by infection, if that's what you're implying, immunity may be fleeting compared to  immunity by vaccination.

2 minutes ago, placnx said:

People from South Africa or elsewhere could bring that variant which is much worse, so there is a point to control entry.

As for herd immunity by infection, if that's what you're implying, immunity may be fleeting compared to  immunity by vaccination.

OMG!  I'm so afraid!!@

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

When most countries that provide low and no cost vaccinations, where will a black market for this development?

anti-vaxxers and science-deniers who want to travel without infringing on their right to potentially cause the deaths of countless others will need the fake certificate.  for freedom.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think that easy international travel will resume until the world has subdued the pandemic and that might take 3-4 years.  Thailand has been attractive because it was cheap and exotic although with infrastructure problems such dangerous walkways and traffic.  It is not so cheap any more so we'll have to see how well it can compete with other locations when easy travel resumes.  For people whose countries have cold winters the warm weather is a plus.

I think that some workers whose income depended on the tourism industry would be smart to reorient themselves to another type of work.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

I think the passport Idea is very good.but the thing I see is who issue them.As we all know a false piece of paper can easily be obtained in most countries.for a price.not even having a test.i reckon

There are at least two private projects, but these would not be practical except for transatlantic flights. Really the solution has to be multinational by governments, so WHO is the obvious candidate. WHO has asked Estonia to develop a new WHO card:

https://www.euro.who.int/en/countries/estonia/news/news/2020/10/estonia-and-who-to-work-together-on-digital-health-and-innovation

But the authenticity must be verifiable digitally. I have no idea whether this Estonian will fit the bill.

12 minutes ago, placnx said:

lol.

you are funny

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, placnx said:

It's would be a good idea to wear a mask, N95 if you can get, plus lab goggles in the airport and on the flight.

Why not a full hazmat suit.  The airlines could make a killing by requiring hazmat suits if the get into the business of supplying them at the airport (HAZMAT REQUIRED  $300 per day)

• Haha 1