COE, question about admissible flights

12 minutes ago, Salerno said:

@scorecard Actually, re seats, looks like you could get charged if you're not a member (taken a dummy booking as far as I can go):

1902367204_Booking-with-Singapore-Airlines-on-Skyscanner(1).png.b5c1d7e511f60f4ee70281bd3e7de6c6.png

That said, a few flights when I booked with online shops (now bust due to covid!) tried that with me a few times. I just skipped that and as soon as I got the eticket I jumped onto my Thai account and selected the seats for free. Not sure how it would pan out with Singapore (can't even remember my account details with them now).

Thanks,

I'm a frequent flyer member of SQ but no points gained for many years. SQ lady I spoke to on the phone suggested I rejoin and there's no need to have actual points to get the Lite fare.

Ever if I had to pay for a seat:

Basic fare        AUD640.80

+ pay for a seat        13.10

TOTAL              AUD653.90      IMHO still very good value. 

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

IMHO still very good value.

Yeah, few doom sayers but I've been keeping an eye on flight prices and not too bad from Oz so far. I actually booked a trip with Thai frequent flyer points (first time in my life I actually booked more than a couple of weeks in advance) ... then covid hit and Thai is basically belly up; 90% sure I can kiss those points goodbye 555 That said, once I get some clarity on my movements over the next month or so might be  a good time to hit them up, see if they will honour the cancelled flights.

13 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yeah, few doom sayers but I've been keeping an eye on flight prices and not too bad from Oz so far. I actually booked a trip with Thai frequent flyer points (first time in my life I actually booked more than a couple of weeks in advance) ... then covid hit and Thai is basically belly up; 90% sure I can kiss those points goodbye 555 That said, once I get some clarity on my movements over the next month or so might be  a good time to hit them up, see if they will honour the cancelled flights.

I have Thai PR so I have grounds to return, however I'm hoping I can wait until I get the Covid 19 Vaccination here is OZ, I'm 76 years old with lung problems so my doctor here says I qualify for the first round of vaccinations and should be completed by mid/late March which I why I'm, at the moment, targeting 10 May to fly Syd to Bkk.

Also by 10 May I'm hoping quarantine in Thailand may have reduced or perhaps a vaccination certificate plus negative test on arrival might bring no quarantine. Not holding my breath of course. . 

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

76 years old with lung problems

Certainly sounds like a good decision to keep your head down and get vaccinated before travelling to me.Another thee or four months and you will be winging your back without a care in the world ????

If one must take an approved flight, such as a repatriation flight or 'semi-commercial' flight to enter Thailand, what is the purpose of airlines offering transport on other flights?  For example, I can book a flight from Lax to Bkk on "Justfly.com" but I cannot find this flight listed in the spread sheet.  Does anyone have an idea?

4 hours ago, Hpg1955 said:

If one must take an approved flight, such as a repatriation flight or 'semi-commercial' flight to enter Thailand, what is the purpose of airlines offering transport on other flights?  For example, I can book a flight from Lax to Bkk on "Justfly.com" but I cannot find this flight listed in the spread sheet.  Does anyone have an idea?

I think these flights CAN work, but whenever things are tricky or difficult, I always book directly through the airline. That way the airline "owns" you and if there are any problems or changes you are dealing directly with the airlines, NOT some booking agency. I have had experiences where there were problems and the airline told me that could not help me... that i needed to talk to whoever sold me the ticket.

For my entry, I started with the spreadsheet, picked some "approved" entering flights on my days of interest and THEN searched for the best flight deals on kayak, expedia, etc.

When I found the flight(s) i wanted, I went to the airline website and booked directly with them (Singapore Air). I even paid for most of the ticket with SQ miles from my Kris Flyer (SQ frequent flyer program) account. Airlines treat you differently (things like seat selection etc.) when you book directly through them, rather than booking through an agency, so for critical travel (and this is critical stuff here), It's not worth it to try and save $50 by booking through some random online travel agency.

8 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

I think these flights CAN work, but whenever things are tricky or difficult, I always book directly through the airline. That way the airline "owns" you and if there are any problems or changes you are dealing directly with the airlines, NOT some booking agency. I have had experiences where there were problems and the airline told me that could not help me... that i needed to talk to whoever sold me the ticket.

For my entry, I started with the spreadsheet, picked some entering flights on my days of interest and THEN searched for the best flight deals on kayak, expedia, etc.

When I found the flight(s) i wanted, I went to the airline website and booked directly with them (Singapore Air). I even paid for most of the ticket with SQ miles from my Kris Flyer (SQ frequent flyer program) account. Airlines treat you differently (things like seat selection etc.) when you book directly through them, rather than booking through an agency, so for critical travel (and this is critical stuff here), It's not worth it to try and save $50 by booking through some random online travel agency.

Good advice to book directly with the airline, instead of using a booking agency.

When using a 'flight search' website (e.g. Momondo), that will provide you with ALL possible options for the trip you are planning to make, and you can sort them in the order of your preference (comfort, cost, airline reputation, direct flights, etc.).

When you find your best option (e.g. a flight on Expedia) you can then check directly with the airline providing it.

However, in some cases the flights offered on booking sites are way CHEAPER for exactly same flight than booking directly with the airline offering the flight.

Additional tip: When booking with a Golden credit-card, some of these Golden credit-card providers offer free annulation when using the card to make the booking.  The annual fee for my Golden credit-card is only 40 Euro, so when booking one flight with it, the cost is already more than recuperated.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Good advice to book directly with the airline, instead of using a booking agency.

When using a 'flight search' website (e.g. Momondo), that will provide you with ALL possible options for the trip you are planning to make, and you can sort them in the order of your preference (comfort, cost, airline reputation, direct flights, etc.).

When you find your best option (e.g. a flight on Expedia) you can then check directly with the airline providing it.

However, in some cases the flights offered on booking sites are way CHEAPER for exactly same flight than booking directly with the airline offering the flight.

Additional tip: When booking with a Golden credit-card, some of these Golden credit-card providers offer free annulation when using the card to make the booking.  The annual fee for my Golden credit-card is only 40 Euro, so when booking one flight with it, the cost is already more than recuperated.

But keep in mind that the flight you use must be the exact flight no., showing on the Semi-Commercial flights spreadsheet. 

1 hour ago, Mai mee said:

For my entry, I started with the spreadsheet, picked some "approved" entering flights on my days of interest and THEN searched for the best flight deals on kayak, expedia, etc.

Singapore Airlines flights can also be booked and paid for on the phone. 

12 hours ago, Hpg1955 said:

Justfly may be showing you codeshare flight numbers. eg I can see AA8411 which is really JL707 and is on the sheet.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, scorecard said:

Thanks, much appreciated, can you pleas share the fare?

My phone discussion with SQ was:

10 May 2021

- SQ212 Sydney to S'pore 

- SQ712 S'pore to Bkk

Includes: 30 Kg, luggage, meals. No extra charges to buy a seat nor for walker.

Will provide wheelchair for transit.

Transit time  about 2.5 hrs.

Total cost UAD650-

Total fare 8

Sorry I didn't answer your earlier question. I'm currently living in the Northern beaches area, 25 km Nth of Sydney, 45 minutes to Sydney airport. 

Archived