Super Gonhorrea - Pattaya

scubascuba3

On 2/4/2021 at 7:12 PM, Peabody said:

In the early '80s, I worked with penicillinase-producing Neisseria gonorrhoeae (PPNG) at Rockefeller University in New York City. It had to be grown in special incubators with a rather precise carbon dioxide concentration and temperature and it was indeed difficult to keep cultures alive.

It should be possible to build small molecules that resistant to lactamases and compensatory mutations that bacteria have evolved to withstand antibiotics.  It worked for HIV and it should work for bacteria.  Unfortunately pharmaceutical companies have abandoned antibiotic development because it was too expensive with little ROI.  If we ever do get new antibiotics they should only be prescribed in combinations to reduce or eliminate the chance of resistant strains emerging.  Again, similar to the way cocktails have been used for HIV.

How I miss the Rock.  When was the last time you were there?  The tennis courts and covered parking area adjacent to Caspary Hall are gone, to make room for at least one new building.  Although the money wasn't great those were the best years of my career in science.  Living on the upper east side of Manhattan in a large apartment with river views for pennies on the dollar made the experience even better.

1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

Died from Gonnoherea ? Must have had an underline health issue 

In very rare cases , gonhorrea can transmit into bloodstream and can be deadly . It is very rare , but possible . tbh , i had to look for it also , as i doubted that it could happen . Thinking about it , any bacteria which does go in bloodstream can cause dead ( septic shock ) .

On 2/7/2021 at 11:56 AM, 123go said:

Very painful + discharge at the beginning it's less of a problem now but it has been 3 weeks and it's still sticking around.

You should get properly tested if your symptoms persist. Just sitting it out and hoping your immune system will kill whatever it is won’t do any good.

Wait until at least 3 weeks after the last antibiotics treatment, then go to an ID doc and ask for a multiplex PCR of the very first bit of urine in the morning and a culture of the discharge (obviously the swap has to be taken before you pee in a container). Make sure the multiplex PCR includes Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma strains — those are the next ugly bacteria right after super Gonnorhea. These tests will cost you a bit. You can save a bit if you go to MedConsult Clinic or the Pulse STD Clinic on Silom (both work directly with a lab and offer a multiplex PCR for a bit less than the 7-8k that you pay at one of the international hospitals). 

Definitely don’t blindly throw any antibiotics at it, neither self-medicated nor given by a doctor without proper testing before. Especially no Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin or any other antibiotic of that class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, 123go said:

ciprofloxacin

How can you make such a recommendation? Have you ran a susceptibility test on his infection? If not then you’re not in a position to make antimicrobial recommendations. If it is in fact Gonnorhea then Ciprofloxacin won’t work anyway, and the person would be taking a very potent antibiotic that comes with considerable side effects for nothing. 

On 2/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Anyway, he is trying to rule in or out Gonhorrea, already positive by one hospital but growing a culture has had mixed results and confused things

So the infection is not confirmed yet? Did he get a PCR test? Those are typically the most accurate, they just can’t provide you antimicrobial recommendations (as they don’t grow the bacteria but just detect the presence of the DNA). There’s a very small chance that a PCR test may be false positive/negative (as is the case with every test). 

If it is confirmed to be Gonnorhea that is resistant against Ceftriaxone & Azithromyzin, then good luck. I don’t know how those doctors in the UK cured that poor guy who got super Gonnorhea here in Thailand a few years back. It’s something to be discussed with a good ID doc. There are certain new antibiotics in the pipeline but those will probably still take some more years. I am attaching a document from a Dutch Organisation that discusses reviving certain older antibiotics. Maybe it’s something to be discussed with an ID doc. 

See here: https://www.ncsddc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/TAG_Pipeline_STI_2019_draft.pdf

1 hour ago, cocoonclub said:

So the infection is not confirmed yet? Did he get a PCR test? Those are typically the most accurate, they just can’t provide you antimicrobial recommendations (as they don’t grow the bacteria but just detect the presence of the DNA). There’s a very small chance that a PCR test may be false positive/negative (as is the case with every test). 

If it is confirmed to be Gonnorhea that is resistant against Ceftriaxone & Azithromyzin, then good luck. I don’t know how those doctors in the UK cured that poor guy who got super Gonnorhea here in Thailand a few years back. It’s something to be discussed with a good ID doc. There are certain new antibiotics in the pipeline but those will probably still take some more years. I am attaching a document from a Dutch Organisation that discusses reviving certain older antibiotics. Maybe it’s something to be discussed with an ID doc. 

See here: https://www.ncsddc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/TAG_Pipeline_STI_2019_draft.pdf

I've lost track of how many tests he's had and what type. He's been to 2 hospitals, 1 clinic, 1 lab. The Pattaya hospital said the lab results were no help, but the doc there seems to be more resistant than the gonorrhea 

5 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

How can you make such a recommendation? Have you ran a susceptibility test on his infection? If not then you’re not in a position to make antimicrobial recommendations. If it is in fact Gonnorhea then Ciprofloxacin won’t work anyway, and the person would be taking a very potent antibiotic that comes with considerable side effects for nothing. 

Cipro 500 is available over the counter for 100bht/10 tabs.

I use it as my second choice if Amoxicillin 500 (30bht/10 tabs) didn't work, and have never suffered any side effects.

There's always a few people that react badly to every drug, hardly 'considerable side effects'.

You also need to consider the longer you wait, the more serious the problem.

Something easily cured at first show of symptoms, may have killed you by the time they get their lab results back.

Edited by BritManToo

On 2/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, PatOngo said:

Well how difficult is it!

98131-120226-condom-hmed2-10a.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Yes well!

A friend of mine went to the hospital to get the results of his tests.

"What the verdict doc'?

"Sorry to tell you Sir. You have gonhorrea."

"Must have caught it off a toilet seat Doc'."

"Yes well! You must have been chewing it Sir. It's in your gums."

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You also need to consider the longer you wait, the more serious the problem.

Something easily cured at first show of symptoms, may have killed you by the time they get their lab results back.

But then you don’t give Cipro. If your penis drips after unprotected sex, it’s most likely an STI. If it’s an STI, Cipro won’t help. If you take it anyway, you’re more likely doing harm than good, by potentially rendering other treatments ineffective due to resistance. 

If you really want to treat empirically while you’re waiting for your lab results (I hope someone actually ordered a proper test before giving any antibiotics), then I think it should be 7-10 days Doxycycline at max. If the color and consistency of the discharge is indicative of Gonnorhea (though even that is not necessarily reliable) then Ceftriaxone and Azithromyzin may be the better choice. However, already at this point it gets tricky because the the standard 1g single dose that you’d give for Gonnorhea (together with the shot) could render the first line treatment for Mycoplasma Genitalium ineffective (which is now 500g of Azithromyzin daily for three days, maybe in combination with Doxycycline before and during). So then the empirical treatment would be Ceftriaxone + 1g Azithromyzin + another two days of Azithromyzin 500g, and maybe Doxycycline before that, which is a lot of antibiotics without a confirming test. 

I understand the risk-reward-trade off of administering antibiotics empirically, especially in a poorer country where people don’t want to spend thousands of baht on expensive PCR tests. But the increasing antibiotics resistance driven by throwing potentially wrong antibiotics at is is concerning. 90% of Mycoplasma Genitalium infections in this region here are now resistant against the first line treatment (Azithromyzin) and that’s been largely caused by giving people the 1g single doses in the past. The second line treatment then would be Moxifloxacin, but even for that resistance is growing, and that can be caused by giving something like Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin. (At that point you can then ask your hospital here to import a new antibiotic from France, which currently is only available there as well as in countries who allow ordering it, such as Australia or other EU counties; the US, for example, doesn’t allow it). 

Bottom line, of course, is to use condoms even though it sucks. I still remember how the ID doc at a big hospital laughed at me when I was freaking out over while waiting for my HIV test results: “As a male having vaginal sex, you should be more concerned about bacterial infections.”

Edited by cocoonclub

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've lost track of how many tests he's had and what type. He's been to 2 hospitals, 1 clinic, 1 lab. The Pattaya hospital said the lab results were no help, but the doc there seems to be more resistant than the gonorrhea 

I would assume that with 4 tests done at least one would have included PCR but maybe something to check. The ID docs at the big international hospitals definitely should be familiar with ordering a PCR test on a throat swab (I at least know one guy who had one in Bumrungrad). 

Not sure how reliable cultures are for Gonnorhea. I would have assumed that cultures should be quite reliable. I thought Gonnorhea is fast growing enough to show up on a culture. But I’m not a professional in this field. 

1 hour ago, cocoonclub said:

But then you don’t give Cipro. If your penis drips after unprotected sex, it’s most likely an STI. If it’s an STI, Cipro won’t help. If you take it anyway, you’re more likely doing harm than good, by potentially rendering other treatments ineffective due to resistance. 

Total nonsense.

One antibiotic does not 'train' bacteria to resist another antibiotic.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, scubascuba3 said:

A friend of mine has Super Gonhorrea (not me promise ????) and is having a hell of a time trying to kill it, so far repeated doses of the recommended antibiotics aren't working. 

This thread is just a reminder that it is out there, not reported much but definitely in Pattaya. He is following up with the hospital for next steps. 

Anybody else care to admit getting it and how they finally got rid of it? 

me thinks scuba's name gives himself away and he's been free diving at pattaya beach without facemask.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

me thinks scuba's name gives himself away and he's been free diving at pattaya beach without facemask.

Actually the friend isn't sure it was Super gonhorrea, tests negative but still has issues it seems, waiting for further tests back in UK.

He got original throat gonhorrea from oral

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Actually the friend isn't sure it was Super gonhorrea, tests negative but still has issues it seems, waiting for further tests back in UK.

He got original throat gonhorrea from oral

jeez a 6 page wild goose chase haha, oh well at least confirmed he got original throat gonorrhea from oral.....urghhhh! hope he's healthy when he returns to TIT.   

On 3/11/2021 at 7:46 AM, Bvor said:

jeez a 6 page wild goose chase haha, oh well at least confirmed he got original throat gonorrhea from oral.....urghhhh! hope he's healthy when he returns to TIT.   

Brings a whole new meaning to the old saying " getting down to a wrong ' un "

On 2/4/2021 at 10:42 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yah think?

It is well known historically that Pattaya is ripe with STD's including HIV and a rise in Syphilis.

Antibiotic resistant Gonhorrea would make sense that it is here.

To prevent future infection/transmission maybe suggest to him to buy some plastic wrap and use that as a dental dam.

Good luck to your buddy maybe if he tries enough antibiotics he will find one that works.

Maybe a bleach injection, donnie is convinced it works, what better recommendation do you want?