She does not pay me back?

RyanWalker

15 minutes ago, Salerno said:
20 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

That's called hearsay.

No it's not. 

OP has/had a written statement "She also got her boyfriend to.message me that they don't have money." What we don't know is the exact text,

It is hearsay without documentary confirmation.  The boyfriend cannot speak for her unless he has a POA, the OP lent the money to the girl, not him.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Matreusse said:

It is hearsay without documentary confirmation.  The boyfriend cannot speak for her unless he has a POA, the OP lent the money to the girl, not him.

It is Thailand. I doubt the police think like you do. She is a farung female criminal. They will love to get their hands all over her. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, ctxa said:

With this attitude of yours in which you think you yourself know everything, here in Thailand you can expect two outcomes in the long term. 

1. Behind bars for defamation. 

2. In the morgue with a couple of bullets in your brain after you threaten some Thai person and make them lose face. 

If OP says anything on social media about that she borrowed money and never gave it back, OP WILL end up paying a fine and doing time.

Is this TV not classed as social media?

23 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

Good day

I'm a teacher at an International school in Bkk. I have an issue and maybe someone here has advice. I lent a friend at school quite a lot of money. It's been over a year and she has paid back nothing. I tried everything.. I even suggested to pay me back $100 a month, yet she only has excuses. Nothing I could do here to get back my money legally? 

Thanks in advance

How long have you been in Thailand? How aware are you of the culture? Treating a loan as a gift is common practise here. I have loaned money but only to family, and they have always paid me back when promised.

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:
23 hours ago, blackcab said:

No.

That's the textbook definition of a defamatory course of action, which is both a civil and a criminal offence in Thailand. Involve a computer, and there's probably a Computer Crimes Act offence in there somewhere as well.

If she is not going to pay then that's how it is.

Expand  

No its not.  Telling the truth about this transaction on social media. or to the school authorities,  is neither defamatory nor criminal.  It is only either of those things if it is wrong. I also suggested 'threatening' to do it, that may well be enough. 

You are wrong. Damaging a person's reputation is an offence, whether or not it is blatantly obvious that the accusation is correct and justified. Thai law sees that their reputation has been damaged and it does not take into account whether that damage was justified or no. That isn't the issue, the damage is.

Probably shouldn't have made the two responses together but unsure how to undo.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

For the future, if anyone is considering loaning money, follow the 4 C method. This is used by most banks, finance companies

1. Collateral

2. Capacity

3. Character/credit history

4. Capital

Just Google for more details.

5 Contract

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

- Ask for a postdated check. As far as I know if a check over 50k THB is not paid then the person can go (or maybe even will go) to jail. Maybe she knows that but you can try.

People still use checks, or in my language, cheques? I haven't received or written one in at least 20 years????

• Like 1

never lend money to anyone, and if he is a Thai even worse, you will never see them back, forget them, and when you see that being changes direction I do as if you don't know him even if you see him on earth having problems, he will have pay for the evil he did, don't worry, karma always comes back for those who do harm, he used you to live with your money, and he enjoyed it, but he lost the most precious thing in the world esteem respect and friendship, remove all this and live in his oblivion.
(I write what I would do, then you do as you like)
(it happened to me too that I lent some money to Thai people, a few hundred baht, never seen back)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
22 hours ago, WineOh said:

Lesson learned, right mate?

never borrow another soul here anything of value.

And here's another lesson. It's LEND not BORROW!   LOL

Unless you don't have a soul. Although I don't know how one could borrow a soul of course.

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

?????????????????

of course it's on him.

jail, deported, fined............dude, sorry, not the best advice here

don't know why this has been attributed to me. I did not post it if you look back. I just agreed with it. Regardless I hope you are talking about the girl being deported, fined etc. The bitch deserves it 

In these sort of cases the normal next step is to go to a solicitor and get a contract drawn up with a repayment schedule agreed by both parties. If the schedule is not met, the matter can be taken to court.

Most Thai people will agree to this as it puts repayments off to another day, they can assuage their conscience, and it is a means of saving face. They might even try and make an effort to keep to the repayment schedule for a few months before defaulting again. But they are happy to keep putting the problem off into the future.

A farang is more unlikely to enter into such a contract (even though  the chance are good they can just make a few token payments and then leave the country etc) because they are reluctant to enter into a legal agreement when they are currently on a 'handshake agreement'.

The Thai approach is to compromise, save face, and put the problem off until tomorrow, while the farang response is more confrontational (dare you to take action).

Given that you are both farang, it seems to me your options are exactly what they would be in your home country.  Lacking a written loan agreement, even an IOU, legally there's nothing you can do.  Depending on whether you are still both at the same school, or have the same social circle, the most you can do it let it be known informally, through your school and social network(s), that she is not trustworthy and reliable.  If she feels enough social pressure, she may pay you back eventually.  Maybe.  But you shouldn't count on it.  Untrustworthy people tend to stay untrustworthy.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Without paperwork, "he said she said" and basically it never happened.

If you try intimidating YOU could be the one behind bars, be very careful how you proceed if at all. Say the wrong thing in the wrong place and you have "defamation" staring you in the face. 

VERY EXCELLENT ADVICE, might just be the icing on the cake for the lady.and what she wants

I do not lend money occasionally I may make a donation to assist, and when the say I will pay you back, I just say not required please then use that money to help someone else

On 2/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, RyanWalker said:

Nothing I could do here to get back my money legally? 

Thanks in advance

Yes there might be legal possibilities (I'm not saying you get your money, even you win in Court), but first you need to tell if your friend a foreigner, or a Thai, and if you have a signed loan agreement of some kind.

1 minute ago, sateuk said:

Exactly kick her door down take everything she owns . When payed back she can have her stuff back

That should be good for 5 years in the Bangkok Hilton and nice deportation order. 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, RyanWalker said:

Good day

I'm a teacher at an International school in Bkk. I have an issue and maybe someone here has advice. I lent a friend at school quite a lot of money. It's been over a year and she has paid back nothing. I tried everything.. I even suggested to pay me back $100 a month, yet she only has excuses. Nothing I could do here to get back my money legally? 

Thanks in advance

The 'school of hard knocks'.  Nothing new here.  Get used to it and do not lend money you can't afford to never see again.

OP based on experience I just assume every westerner I come across in SE Asia is an ex-convict until proven otherwise.  Same for any farang female just assume the boyfriend is an ex-convict or fugitive.  Would've saved you $3500 and a lot of drama.  Remember, regardless of what they say they're not here for the culture, temples or street food.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, Pilotman said:

A 'friend', really? Unless you had a legal contract you can do nothing, bar threats.  Threaten to shame the friend on social media and/or with the school authorities. Threaten to go to the police even if that is a unless course to take.  Your next step is to get nasty.  Stop pleading, get threatening.  

Be very careful following this advice. It could lead you into a lot of trouble.

• Like 1