She does not pay me back?

RyanWalker

Years ago, during my brief career as a development consultant, I lent money to a colleague at the Thai government office where I was installed. BUT, I had it in writing. Loan and rental contracts are easy to find online and in stationery stores. 

Not surprisingly, he didn't pay. I casually mentioned the loan (not the lack of payment) to the Director of this office. I didn't intend to complain or rat him out. The Director said he would "follow up." I said I was willing to wait and see, but he said that, since I brought it to his attention, he was duty-bound to tell the colleague to pay. I got my money the next day. 

If you have anything in writing, you have a chance. If not, you're done. 

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

Expensive lesson I suspect. As a rule of thumb in Thailand never lend money unless you're willing to consider it a gift.

That's been my rule every place I've ever been. The second part of that rule... Don't let the money lost come between the friendship (or family), but know this, I won't loan again.

• Like 2

Good luck.

Your word against her word.

I lent a Thai friend (a middle ranking government official) Baht 35,000 8 years ago - I have not received anything back.

Everytime I see her, she tells me that she thinks about the money everyday, and she will begin paying me back soon - same story for 7 years.

Been there done that mate.  Point is as already mentioned on the first page, 'let it go.' If it's your first time with such an experience let it be considered in future instances. Oh, and if they are Thai, they don't like 'pushy.' That actually will make them more willing to not pay back all together. Slowly but surely.

• Like 1

Thais don't have a word for borrow they only understand  give.  That's why banks finish up owning  everything. And never ever guarantee  a loan as that means the guarantor  will pay back the  loan. Always  take  possession of  the collateral offered  until the loan is repaid. That's what the  banks do. Banks are also estate agents 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Funny - the Thai I have lent to pretty much always pay me back... even years later.. 

the farang rarely pay me back... 

I have lent money to about 6 different Thais.  Payback ratio is 50%.  The ones I only lend a little too are the ones least likely to pay me back.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In that case she is no longer a friend. 

Her BF messaged you that they can’t pay you back - so you have ‘some’ proof of the loan. 

The School you both work at may be able to help you. Ask them to assist before you approach the police - this may trigger them into assisting you resolve the issue.

As they are a BF/GF couple and the BF is also getting involved he could contribute to paying you back if he wanted to. 

Are they both still earning ????

IF so, they can pay you back, but they have chosen not to. 

Don’t feel bad about escalating the situation - in not paying you back and treating you like this they have forced you to become someone you don’t want to be. Thats ok - its not on you if they refuse to act responsibly and even attempt to pay back a smaller amount each month. 

Too true. They have probably already done this to someone else. He shouldn't let them get away with it. It sounds like an intentional attempt to defraud. He should do as you suggest or they will just move along to the next person and do it again.

• Like 1

she KNOWS she doesn't have to pay you back....no matter what.

really this is the end.

remember, you came here to help the good people, the poor, and now you are....

hopefully it was zillions of baht, since you will not starve and she can help more people.  

zero chance of getting money back, but keep us posted

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ventenio said:

she KNOWS she doesn't have to pay you back....no matter what.

really this is the end.

remember, you came here to help the good people, the poor, and now you are....

hopefully it was zillions of baht, since you will not starve and she can help more people.  

zero chance of getting money back, but keep us posted

She is a farung not a Thai. Her and her bf are obviously fraudsters. He should go after the bitch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scammed said:

he was given it in writing when the boyfriend of the culprit messaged him about the loan, its in his phone memory until he deletes it

He didn't lend any money to her boyfriend!    I'd doubt that her boyfriend has been given authority to act on her behalf. 

2 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

well, that changes

EVERYTHING  

To me it does. It is hard to take action against a Thai because they will gather together against a farung. If she is a farung the Thais will hate her for coming to their country and behaving badly.

• Like 1

The borrower evidently values the money more highly than the lender in this case.

If she has made no attempt to keep you informed about the schedule for the return of the money by instalments she evidently does not intend to return it.

What's more, she may also have borrowed money from others, and she may indeed have borrowed for onlending to others who don't intend to pay her back.

She may already be paying back others by instalments and has no free money to dedicate to returning the loan to the OP.

The intent is clear. The money has changed ownership.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:
9 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

He didn't lend any money to her boyfriend!    I'd doubt that her boyfriend has been given authority to act on her behalf. 

But he did confirm a loan was made.

That's called hearsay.  It's not his position to make any confirmations of a third party's debts, is it?   I'd doubt that her boyfriend has been given authority to act on her behalf. 

Edited by Matreusse
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

That's called hearsay.

No it's not. 

OP has/had a written statement "She also got her boyfriend to.message me that they don't have money." What we don't know is the exact text,

3 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

That's called hearsay.  It's not his position to make any confirmations of a third party's debts, is it?   I'd doubt that her boyfriend has been given authority to act on her behalf. 

I don't think it matters. I doubt the police would care. They would just want to take photos of her while they are standing over her pointing a finger at her. The press will say "police catch farung couple scamming fellow farung". It is up to the court to decide if it is hearsay or not.  They will just enjoy catching a farung criminal. The School principal will not want the scandal and will act. The OP should report her to the school then the police before they scam someone else.

• Sad 1