She does not pay me back?

RyanWalker

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Wrong.  Thailand laws indeed do make it illegal, true or not, if it negatively impacts another party.

The defamation laws are very clear, what's not so clear is whether someone owing someone else money is something which can cause harm...

I suspect not as the entire economy is built on credit, a lot of which is never repaid and people are made bankrupt, have vehicles and houses repossessed every day, it's not done in secret to avoid defamation. The property is publicly auctioned and that's somehow not defamation.

There is a strategy to offload of a bad debt, you can sell it on to someone else for collection - this is a very common practice all around the world.

As a distressed asset it won't be worth as much as the amount stated in the contract but people will buy it.

Again it all comes down to how much you're talking about, do you have a contract, how much was it?

I've read threads on this forum where people come looking for advice based on lending someone a couple of thousand baht, the course of action (if any) greatly depends on the amount involved.

If it's a small amount just forget about it and learn a lesson. If it's a much larger amount then there are options.

• Like 2

Maybe try first the following:

- Don't ask for your money back. Ask for a written statement that she owes you amount x. If you like to make her sign such a paper maybe you have to agree that you won't ask to get the money paid back maybe for 3 month or so. Just make sure she admits that she owes you. And then get it back later.

- Ask for a postdated check. As far as I know if a check over 50k THB is not paid then the person can go (or maybe even will go) to jail. Maybe she knows that but you can try.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RyanWalker said:

Good day

I'm a teacher at an International school in Bkk. I have an issue and maybe someone here has advice. I lent a friend at school quite a lot of money. It's been over a year and she has paid back nothing. I tried everything.. I even suggested to pay me back $100 a month, yet she only has excuses. Nothing I could do here to get back my money legally? 

Thanks in advance

Lent a german friend (of 10 yrs) 200,000 THB over the past few years, don't expect to get it back, thats thailand, they would ask for the money if they had it or had other options to get it, just make a decision to loan it with that in mind or don't.