Local administration vaccine projects shut down

webfact

Local administration vaccine projects shut down

By The Phuket News

1612854437_1-org.jpg

The order. Photo: MCOT

THAILAND: The Department of Local Administration (DLA) has issued an order to clarify that local administrations and private sector organisations cannot currently purchase or distribute COVID-19 vaccines by themselves.

It reiterated this by stating that only central government can purchase, manage and distribute vaccines under the proposed vaccine management plan at this stage.

The order was issued yesterday (Feb 8 ) by Director of the DLA Mr Prayoon Rattana-se-nee, state news broadcaster MCOT reported.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/local-administration-vaccine-projects-shut-down-78950.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-02-09

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

It reiterated this by stating that only central government can purchase, manage and distribute vaccines under the proposed vaccine management plan at this stage.

That's a relief!

• Haha 1

So now local administration will have to talk to private hospitals. They are still aable to import. 
That would be faster than waiting for the government. 
probably there is no harm in taking 2 different ones. The uk has ordered 200mln for 70mln and switzerland 18mln for 9mln. So they will be able vaccinate fast and will have stock of boosters for future waves. 
thailand has ordered only for half population and the 2 most controvential ones

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

IMO, this is a very good idea.

If Private Hospitals want to offer Vaccines then they should come from a Governmental Source.

They will therefore be of a known and trusted Quality, and provenance.

However, I dont think this would be the reasoning behind this issueing of this  order by the DLA, it just happens to be a good by product of the initial plan.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There's method to the madness but it also saves the face of the Health Ministry. Imagine the private sector rolling out the vaccines before the government can! No no no, that would never be allowed.

Occum's Razor.  That's probably closer to the truth.  In the meanwhile who suffers the consequences of a slow rollout? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fangless said:

Of course they are. 

A certain "politician" is in the news and hot water for highlighting the connections ?? to the local in country manufacturer!  (nod nod, wink wink   ????)

Just asking, would that person have a certain title of the highest order, just asking, (nudge, nudge, wink, wink,) say no more.....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There's another potential problem here. In a few months some countries such as the UK, USA etc may ask for proof of vaccination to avoid quarantine on entry. This order basically means we'll be stopped in our tracks as we cannot get one from a private hospital. 

I agree.  As of right now to go back to the US you need to have a Covid test no more than 72 hours ahead of the time of the flight, once in the US as of now the CDC has stated that you are not required to test, but they are advising on self isolation for 14 days before you go out and about.  I received an e-mail today from my healthcare provider in the US trying to schedule me for a vaccination with either the Moderna or the Pfizer vaccine.  My Daughter who is a Surgical ICU Nurse Practitioner has already received her Moderna vaccinations as well as my son, and Mother.  Many of the local pharmacies have a daily amount of people they are giving vaccinations to, and then there are those who join the que and hope that not all are taken by those scheduled, and then grab the remaining vaccinations

These 'vaccine hunters' are getting their shots ahead of schedule by gaming the system (msn.com).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

“In the first stage, only central government can purchase, manage and distribute the vaccines under the vaccine management plan, in order to distribute to the targeted group of people and be able to follow up on their symptoms after being injected,” the order stated.  “Consequently, at this stage, we do not permit private sector and local administrations to directly purchase the vaccine from the producers,” it added.

From reading the article and these passages, it appears that even private hospitals and all are forbidden from purchasing vaccines on their own.  Looks like the Government, at least in my view, does not want to be upstaged by another entity in Thailand who obtains the vaccines before they themselves do.  Interesting, very interesting.  

Is it really upstaging?

Let's say the available number of vaccines, at the time, are intended for say elderly people as a priority. Reducing that number by allowing some of it to be bought by private entities who will administer on a profit per needle to those who are not a priority but can pay the asking price doesn't sound very fair to ones who may really need it.

Edited by overherebc

The Thai vaccination situation is worrying; they are committed to Astra Zeneca which, in a younger population, has shown an effectiveness against the South African strain of only 22%. Which will probably make it useless by the time the large scale vaccination start in Q3 or late Q2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Is it really upstaging?

Let's say the available number of vaccines, at the time, are intended for say elderly people as a priority. Reducing that number by allowing some of it to be bought by private entities who will administer on a profit per needle to those who are not a priority but can pay the asking price doesn't sound very fair to ones who may really need it.

Upstaging it would be if they obtained the vaccines before the government did, don't you think?

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Upstaging it would be if they obtained the vaccines before the government did, don't you think?

I would call it poor purchase management.

We have to take it that gov' storage facilities are correct and proper.  Any private establishment would surely have to be checked and cleared prior to allowing them to purchase, store and administer the vaccine as part of a programme and not only sell it to the well shod.

I don't think the vaccine(s) should be allowed to become the object of a bidding war between the private hospitals.

Edited by overherebc

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I would call it poor purchase management.

We have to take it that gov' storage facilities are correct and proper.  Any private establishment would surely have to be checked and cleared prior to allowing them to purchase, store and administer the vaccine as part of a programme and not only sell it to the well shod.

I don't think the vaccine(s) should be allowed to become the object of a bidding war between the private hospitals.

We all have opinions regarding this.  My point wasn't about how it should only be the government setting the tone, it was about how they had already given approval to these organizations and now have pulled that back.  Hospital pharmacies have the facilities available for storage of vaccines already as they have many different vaccines for all illnesses on hand.  The local administrative organizations may or may not have made side agreements for storage, but in the end the government has cut them off from being able to do that.  As I said my point was about being able to obtain the approved vaccines before the government and possibly upstaging the government by showing how they were able to obtain the vaccines when the government could not. Yes poor management on the governments side of the vaccine procurement.  Nothing more. Good night.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

We all have opinions regarding this.  My point wasn't about how it should only be the government setting the tone, it was about how they had already given approval to these organizations and now have pulled that back.  Hospital pharmacies have the facilities available for storage of vaccines already as they have many different vaccines for all illnesses on hand.  The local administrative organizations may or may not have made side agreements for storage, but in the end the government has cut them off from being able to do that.  As I said my point was about being able to obtain the approved vaccines before the government and possibly upstaging the government by showing how they were able to obtain the vaccines when the government could not. Yes poor management on the governments side of the vaccine procurement.  Nothing more. Good night.

My comment 'poor management' was not aimed at the gov' it was aimed at the situation of allowing all private hospitals to go ahead and buy up vaccines where and when they can. Now since this order they can't do that.  Good decision in my eyes.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

So now local administration will have to talk to private hospitals. They are still aable to import. 
That would be faster than waiting for the government. 
probably there is no harm in taking 2 different ones. The uk has ordered 200mln for 70mln and switzerland 18mln for 9mln. So they will be able vaccinate fast and will have stock of boosters for future waves. 
thailand has ordered only for half population and the 2 most controvential ones

But do they have to get it from the government?