Best truck under 900k

stoneinfocus

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

After all, that's all that Toyota does.

TRD.

Sportivo

Etc..

I bought TRD Fortuner to get the black & red leather interior which I liked much more than the other options.

Along with the trinkets, it also added rear-wheel disk breaks and 20" tires. I think the rear-wheel disks are standard on all Fortuner models now. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I bought TRD Fortuner to get the black & red leather interior which I liked much more than the other options.

Along with the trinkets, it also added rear-wheel disk breaks and 20" tires. I think the rear-wheel disks are standard on all Fortuner models now. 

Do they throw in them red Brembo disk brake caliper covers for free?

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your spurious 'cancer' analogy aside, is rust and corrosion a serious issue in Thailand though? I see more Tata's on the dry and humidity-free roads of Isaan these days.

The fact that I found it to be an issue here in Isaan should tell you something (Yes, I live in Isaan too).  IF they were on the roads of the northern U.S. in winter, I don't think they'd be roadworthy enough to pass inspection after a couple of years.  But, at their price point they are bound to get sales here, wouldn't you agree?.  You tell us though: next time you see them on the roads, look closer and see if they have rust.  Do come back here and tell us all, okay?

Your questions inspired me to look deeper.  Thanks for that.  It turns out Tata cars/trucks don't sell in the U.S.  And for Europe, here is a chart from carsalesbase.com that seems rather self explanatory (Note: the Sales numbers are actual number of units):

image.png.8bf069d116af5026ad484cf99a21664d.png

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do they throw in them red Brembo disk brake caliper covers for free?

As you know, most all manufacturers have trim packages that command an up-charge. Some people like them, some don't. As I said, I like the Fortuner TRD interior, that's why I paid the extra 60K, which is not a lot in the scheme of things, particularly when for me, the interior is one of the most important aspects of a vehicle.

Does attempting to belittle what others drive make you feel better about yourself and what you drive?  

1 hour ago, stoneinfocus said:

Nice to see petty bickering and point scoring is alive and well! 

For looks, I like the new Navara, in a colour that Porsche would label 'crayon.' 

Would that be what Nissan labels "Forged Copper"?

33 minutes ago, stoneinfocus said:

It's basically dark grey. 

Or what Nissan labels " Stealth Grey"...

I like grey, but I think some bright yellow, red or blue accents would do a lot for it. Not a lot just a little here and there...

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Yellowtail said:

As you know, most all manufacturers have trim packages that command an up-charge. Some people like them, some don't. As I said, I like the Fortuner TRD interior, that's why I paid the extra 60K, which is not a lot in the scheme of things, particularly when for me, the interior is one of the most important aspects of a vehicle.

Does attempting to belittle what others drive make you feel better about yourself and what you drive?  

Does that TRD package include the insecurity or is that natural?

I ride a push bike BTW.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, stoneinfocus said:

Nice to see petty bickering and point scoring is alive and well! 

For looks, I like the new Navara, in a colour that Porsche would label 'crayon.' 

My Toyota Tiger 4WD Pick-up is 18 years old.

I check it every week for water and oil. It's done 240k km. I had a dodgy time with the engine making a racket, so I changed the oil. One of the wipers has shredded and is not sweeping the water off so good. Also the back seat has a couple of splitz in it. Most other things work OK.

Only had one belt-drive change about 90k past. MOT this month.

I would buy the same pick-up again if I was looking for new. If I could get it in my favourite colour that would be a bonus. But I wouldn't want alloy wheels or anything fancy.

Edited by owl sees all

I bought an Isuzu D-Max 2.5 Titanium Cab 4 Manual with 12km on it in 2012.

Now at 130k and literally no issues (apart from a flat battery) in that time, so what's that, 8 years?

For cost of ownership and reliability, can't go wrong.

An oil and filter change every 20k or so and that's it! Still on same discs and pads with plenty of wear left in both and one set of new tyres at 90k.

"Serviced" the other day at an Isuzu main dealer = full oil and filter change, new headlight bulb, replacement cam belt and air con belt, full coolant replacement cost 3300bht.

Forget manufacturers recommendations (unless in warranty period), use you common sense when "servicing", not required every 10k etc.

P.S. Forgot 3 sets of wiper blades!

Edited by falang1969
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, falang1969 said:

I bought an Isuzu D-Max 2.5 Titanium Cab 4 Manual with 12km on it in 2012.

Now at 130k and literally no issues (apart from a flat battery) in that time, so what's that, 8 years?

For cost of ownership and reliability, can't go wrong.

An oil and filter change every 20k or so and that's it! Still on same discs and pads with plenty of wear left in both and one set of new tyres at 90k.

"Serviced" the other day at an Isuzu main dealer = full oil and filter change, new headlight bulb, replacement cam belt and air con belt, full coolant replacement cost 3300bht.

Forget manufacturers recommendations (unless in warranty period), use you common sense when "servicing", not required every 10k etc.

P.S. Forgot 3 sets of wiper blades!

I've had four Isuzus and they cannot be beat for value. Thinking about buying my boy a new Highlander for his eighteenth birthday coming up....

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:25 PM, Susco said:

You want to claim that you can't buy any quality products of the items you mention that are not made in China?

I recently went around all the Electrical appliance shops in Pattaya, shopping for a  new Toaster,  the European brands names like Philips and Bosch  are both made in China,   sadly i could not find  one  made elsewhere 

You just cannot beat Isuzu, we sold a Highlander at 9 years old to B.I.L. he still drives /abuses it every day, goes from his gate to road junction about 130 mtrs screaming in first gear.

Yet it has never missed a beat in 13 years.

Bought a Dmax just over 4 years ago, only thing done to it, new battery 3 months ago, we are thinking about another new 1, not even considering looking at any other make, it will be a Dmax.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, NCC1701A said:

right now you can get a Ranger XLT. MT AT 2X4. and Wildtrack 4x4 BIG BAHT. They discontinued the FX4 this year. A new quad cab 4x2 automatic XTL is just under 900,000.  

Ford ranger, Mazda bt50 are the same ute. I prefer bt50 coz it's 10k less

1 hour ago, caribbean82 said:

True ranger has made some changes bt50 hasn't but they are still fundamentally the same car with the 3.2 5 cyl

Since December 2020 Mazda are now working with Isuzu and Mazda pickups are based on d-max floorplan,engine,gearbox

After a lot of research and hiring a few pickups we bought Triton in 2008. Now with 220k it's still running fine and never had a problem. As someone else said they are the best value, also I found them to be the best handling compared to the Isuzu and Hilux that I'd hired.

The Isuzu was great on fuel and the Hilux turbo great for power. But I didn't find it handled well. It failed a safety test in Europe, I think it's called the moose test.

The Triton was also best on safety and cheapest.

One thing I found researching, most people are very happy with whatever pick up the bought. They're the best value due to low taxes.

7 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Among the various options from different makes, is there a 4 door, that isn't raised high and has the more powerful turbo intercooler motor?

You could look at the Isuzu X-Series Speeds...

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You could look at the Isuzu X-Series Speeds...

Funnily enough I was just doing that. The 2 Door 4x4 with 3lt 190 hp motor is B832,000. That's not bad, except it's raised and not four door, which is more the 100k extra. I'm not sure how necessary 4 door is, as Thais don't mind squeezing in the back and seat belts can be fitted cheaply.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Funnily enough I was just doing that. The 2 Door 4x4 with 3lt 190 hp motor is B832,000. That's not bad, except it's raised and not four door, which is more the 100k extra. I'm not sure how necessary 4 door is, as Thais don't mind squeezing in the back and seat belts can be fitted cheaply.

It's also a new platform and Isuzu has great service most everywhere, great re-sale and (I think) the cheapest service in Thailand. 

TRITON
Mega Cab Plus 2.4 GLX 6MT
  • 2.4L diesel 
  •  2WD manual transmission 
  •  6-speed manual transmission 
  •  4-cylinder in-line DOHC 16 valve MIVEC variable turbo Inter cooler
Start ฿694,000
Double Cab Plus 2.4 GLS 6MT
  • 2.4L diesel 
  •  2WD manual transmission 
  •  6-speed manual transmission 
  •  4-cylinder in-line DOHC 16 valve MIVEC variable turbo Inter cooler