Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Arkady said:

What about cars purchased by companies or by individuals who may even be disabled themselves but purchase a car to be driven by their driver?  It seems nuts.

I asked the same to which jackdd replied with a bit of helpful info:

On 2/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, jackdd said:

The Facebook post from the DLT which the OP linked to doesn't say anything about medical certificate to register a vehicle, I suspect that's just a wrong translation by Thaivisa, because as you correctly pointed out, it wouldn't make any sense.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:31 PM, Shuya said:

Can someone hit the reset button for this government?

Agree,        80% of deaths are motorcyclists, how are health check going to prevent, running red lights, not wearing helmets, not respecting one way streets, and most other laws cars have to follow. For example why no front number plate? traffic cameras take from the front, does this exempt motorcyclists?, and why are big bike riders now allowed to tilt their rear number plate under their rear seat so that the cannot be seen, We all want to cut the road death toll, start with the 80%. 

• Like 1

Medical certificates have long been required to get an initial 1 year (now 2 year) license and to go from a 2 to 5 year one.

However, to go from a 5 year to 5 year, they have not.

A medical certificate to buy a car? What a joke. What kind of idiots make up these rules? 

On 3/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, TheFreqFlyer said:

Medical certificates have long been required to get an initial 1 year (now 2 year) license and to go from a 2 to 5 year one.

However, to go from a 5 year to 5 year, they have not.

A medical certificate to buy a car? What a joke. What kind of idiots make up these rules? 

The same ones trying to run this country 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, TheFreqFlyer said:

Actually, if it were true it would make sense for a medical certificate to be required as how many drivers in pick-ups have you seen acting quite insanely ?

On 2/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, kotsak said:

Sorry but as long stupidity is not diagnosed there won't be an improvement in the number of accidents.

Yeh I agree, they are totally missing the point completely here.....

Do you have a medical certificate , uhhh no.. No problem 500 baht extra we will handle it.

Your car will be ready in 15 minutes.

This is one of the reasons why a Thai driving licence is superior to a UK driving licence.  Thailand demands a medical cert.  UK you self-declare fitness to drive.

When I got my Thai licence,  the Dr. took my blood pressure, asked if I ever got dizzy, and charged 100 baht.  About a rigorous and useful as the Thai diving test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

This is one of the reasons why a Thai driving licence is superior to a UK driving licence.  Thailand demands a medical cert.  UK you self-declare fitness to drive.

When I got my Thai licence,  the Dr. took my blood pressure, asked if I ever got dizzy, and charged 100 baht.  About a rigorous and useful as the Thai diving test.

Too risky on the roads in the UK... you never know who has Leprosy, Tuberculosis or elephantiasis... :whistling: