Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

breaking news banner V2.png

Anyone applying for a driving license in Thailand will soon need to submit a medical certificate in order to prove they do not have any underlying health conditions which may impair their ability to drive.

The requirement applies to all procedures related to driving licenses, including new applications and renewals. 

It also applies to all forms of land transport and medical certificate is even required to be shown when purchasing a new vehicle.

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) made the announcement on its Facebook page, stating that the requirement  will come into effect on Friday, February 19.

The department said the move was to help reduce road accidents in the country, which is notorious for its dangerous roads which claim more than 20,000 deaths annually.

The news comes as a number of  DLT services, including booking an appointment for driving tests, had been moved online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

60% of Thais don't have a licence's .you can put the car in a family name.and last but the best I can see the local doctor making a few baht out of this .why o why do they even attempt to change things overnight it would take2 or 3 generations to change even the basic safety protocols .omg 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

There certainly are some medical conditions that would make a person unfit to steer a motor vehicle, for instance:

- severe cognitive disability

- schizophrenia and certain pronounced personality disorders

- epilepsy

- motoric disabilities (i.e. uncontrollable jerking or twitching body movements)

- advanced cataract

But honestly, how many accidents are caused by drivers that suffer from any of these. Almost none.

The motorists who in fact ARE responsible for the deadly mayhem on our streets are those who lack training, don't know traffic rules, don't care about traffic rules, drive too fast, are distracted while behind the wheel, are hot-tempered road rowdies, drive stone drunk -- or, actually, sometimes all of these combined..

And no medical certificate in the world will safeguard against these idiots.

Like so many other kneejerk regulations in this country, this one will solve preciously nothing, let alone help bring the appalling accident rate down by any meaningful numbers.

Removing the alcoholics from the streets would be a good start,

• Thanks 1

Mostly their ability to drive is not having a proper lesson to learn how to drive properly and the many drunk drivers on the roads, whether it is a car or motorcycle. It is a shame that the police don't do their jobs as a police officers should. In my town, I see them grouped together at intersections stopping a few cars, but mostly playing on their phones most of the time, especially at the end of the month every month. I always wonder where most of them hide,  somewhere in an air conditioned office?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, chuang said:

What does a 'health certificate entails...

Not much, did mine last year and the doctor looked at me and asked if I feel okay and took my pulse. I always thought a medical certificate required an actual physical. When I was in the UK and applied for my Chinese visa, it required a medical certificate. I had to go through almost a day of tests with x-ray. I guess here they don't understand what the term "Medical Certificate" means.

I had to get a certificate when i got my license in cnx.50 baht Dr mai pen rai  sorted in 5 mins no issue looked at me i was fit no issue they.I waited in line 30 mins i think before i saw him. standard issue form.all easy should be no change today I imagine

Edited by bristolgeoff
  • Like 1

The last time

I went to the doctor in his clinic my weight was checked eye sight and blood pressure taken to get the medical certificate

How will this reduce people still driving like idiots 

Maybe a proper driving test should be taken in stead of watching a driving movie 

• Like 1

Always shooting around the real issues and never directly addressing the real issues. Invite the UK or US police to come in enforce the traffic laws, make traffic stops and ticket and make the fines bite. No brown envelopes. That will result in behavior change. Now there are no real consequences other than an eventual accident for driving like an idiot 

• Like 1

I had to get  medical certificate 4 years ago!!

TB test and blood tests,  x ray etc.

Buriram province. 

Plus the Farang certificate of residence 300 baht slug.

Perhaps a check on people actually having a license when purchasing a vehicle, or helmet when purchasing a bike.

Plus a check on outstanding convictions or unpaid fines. 

2 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

Unless they changed things since my last 5 years renewal, I had to go to Immigration to get paperwork from them to renew my drivers license.  When I did not see the fee of 500 Baht on the fee board and they did not want to give me a receipt, I know something was up.  I kept asking for a receipt over and over and made enough noise and after opening the door to the supervisors office, they figured it was best to just give me my money back.  It was a scam and the money was to be split between the Immigration and the big shot where the license was renewed.  I posted this when it happened.

Comes down to it is free.

But you Have to go back 2 days later.

Or pay an expedited fee and walk away with a once only use, piece of government contribution paperwork. 

I'm pretty certain as a purchaser i didn't need this.

But Buriram DLT requested it the other day...

Stupidity has no cure and gone to higher level. Does this mandatory medical certificate apply to all local and foreign applicants across the Kingdom?

How about doing something more practical with those underaged students/teenagers riding with 2-3 pillion riders (over capacity of max. 2) with no valid riding licences, no helmets etc. And how about those driving without a valid driving licence and no mandatory minimum or any insurance coverage at all for a start?

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

breaking news banner V2.png

Anyone applying for a driving license in Thailand will soon need to submit a medical certificate in order to prove they do not have any underlying health conditions which may impair their ability to drive.

The requirement applies to all procedures related to driving licenses, including new applications and renewals. 

It also applies to all forms of land transport and medical certificate is even required to be shown when purchasing a new vehicle.

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) made the announcement on its Facebook page, stating that the requirement  will come into effect on Friday, February 19.

The department said the move was to help reduce road accidents in the country, which is notorious for its dangerous roads which claim more than 20,000 deaths annually.

The news comes as a number of  DLT services, including booking an appointment for driving tests, had been moved online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

Nothing new. They have always asked for this.

1 hour ago, thaipo7 said:

Unless they changed things since my last 5 years renewal, I had to go to Immigration to get paperwork from them to renew my drivers license.  When I did not see the fee of 500 Baht on the fee board and they did not want to give me a receipt, I know something was up.  I kept asking for a receipt over and over and made enough noise and after opening the door to the supervisors office, they figured it was best to just give me my money back.  It was a scam and the money was to be split between the Immigration and the big shot where the license was renewed.  I posted this when it happened.

Same to me, but the trouble started at the Road Office(RO). The girl said I must go to immigration for Residence Certificate(RC). I showed my yellow house book to no avail. After half hour at Immigration Office(IO) I was told to show a request letter from the RO. Drive to RO and 90 minutes later return at IO with the request. 

The RC was written within 10 minutes. Then the Officer asked ฿500. With the 500 shown I asked a receipt, answer was: "500". I nodded and said with a smile: "Receipt please". Then RC was checked by the Supervisor and I was ordered to make a copy of some document (what they normally do at their own machine).

Then I got the RC. 

It was too late to go back to RO. 

At home I checked the RC (writen in Thai) with 10 fatal mistakes. 

The next day I got my Driving Permissions for bike & car for almost six years as it was two days after my last birthday. 

The mistakes at the RC where of no importance.... Only paper matters!!! 

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have always had to provide a medical certificate for all of my 5 year renewals.

Never had to provide one for a new car though.

Maybe different centres operate differently.  A medical cert has never been required for 5-year renewals in Bangkok (I did mine in December).  Annoying if the policy has changed.

I remembered I had to take simple medical tests for my driving license long time ago. This isn't anything new at my area anyway. Not sure about other places.

It's  not the medical condition, it's the lack of enforcement of police for traffic offenders that cause accidents.

Edited by EricTh

Missing the point again. Where do they get people to take such decisions without an extensive analysis of the problem.? Shooting from the hip as usual.

There would be fewer accidents IF THE POLICE DID THEIR JOBS ALL THE TIME, not just a few times a year. Fines should be increased and should be paid on the spot. Nobody should be exempt. No “do you know who I am?”
No medical certificate will change  the way people drive in this country. In fact, we will find out in a few months.

17 hours ago, Blumpie said:

You buy a new car and you need a medical certificate

Yes, one to prove you're insane enough to take a new car out to play dodgems on the roads of Thailand.

It's more the drivers of old cars that are the problem..

As for a medical certificate... 100 baht from Dr Brown Envelope no questions asked. (500 for Ferangs of course).

or just print one at home...

These plans are 100% fool proof... 

Literally...

100% Proof that fools are making them up.