Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

Isn't that the kind of medical certificate where you can just walk into any clinic while still breathing, and walk out a few minutes later (and a few baht lighter) with the certificate, but without any actual medical examination happening? Pointless.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Another no brainer ! Purchase a car show a medical certificate hmmm can't see to many car dealerships refusing a purchase specially in these hard times and what if you are not the owner just buying for your sibling etc ?

Just give the money to your sibling, should then be the owner.

18 hours ago, bolt said:

its always been for driving license, Medical cert

not sure about purchasing a vehicle

Only for temporary and the first permanent license.  For extensions after that you did not need a medical certificate.

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

But who supplies said cert' .. 

Needs to be a doctor not open to any sort of inducement to give an honest , accurate appraisal of an applicants health ..

That could be tricky... finding someone honest, or a clinic above reproach.

More important is to require health/death insurance that covers the cost of flying their dead bodies back to their home countries for a funeral before getting a motorcycle licence.   

We really need to have autonomous electric vehicles in all cities, plenty of off street parking, and walkable/mobility scooter areas that are safe.IMO 

No motorcycle rentals allowed on city streets, and all electric from now on.  Thailand is known for street food vendors, all the 1000's of motorcycles sitting on public streets is an eyesore and blocks the food vendors from having safe places to stop and sell their foods

Too many grab drivers and delivery motorcycles/scooters speeding and cutting through on small sois at high speeds.  Not even safe to walk in Pattaya anymore.  

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

Good to know.  Have and appointment to renew my 5 year next month and a doctor's appointment already on the books in a couple of weeks.  I'll add "Driving Medical Certificate" when visiting the doctor. 

Just now, connda said:

Good to know.  Have and appointment to renew my 5 year next month and a doctor's appointment already on the books in a couple of weeks.  I'll add "Driving Medical Certificate" when visiting the doctor. 

Is there a form we need to download and give to the doctor or do Thai hospital already have the form.  If a blank form is needed, where do I get one?

37 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I remembered I had to take simple medical tests for my driving license long time ago. This isn't anything new at my area anyway. Not sure about other places.

It's  not the medical condition, it's the lack of enforcement of police for traffic offenders that cause accidents.

You guys missed the second point.  You need a medical certificate to buy a car or vehicle mow.  Next you will need one for grocery shopping.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sheryl, when you bought your car recently did they require a medical certificate to purchase the car?, that's the other part of the OP.

No. I bought it back in Aug/September (though it did nto arrive until Nov.) and I think that pre-dates the new law

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No. I bought it back in Aug/September (though it did nto arrive until Nov.) and I think that pre-dates the new law

Crazy to ask for a medical certificate to buy a car if one was necessary for your license don't you think.

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

But who supplies said cert' .. 

Needs to be a doctor not open to any sort of inducement to give an honest , accurate appraisal of an applicants health ..

Doctor: "You have Alzheimers Disease".

Patient: "I have 50,000 baht"

Doctor: "But it's not showing any symptoms yet"

• Like 2

Again, a new form of BS, recently I bought a new car, this time on my GF's name for 2 reasons.

1. To avoid this kind of red tape.

2. The same red tape when I like to sale this car.

And guess what, I can still drive this car without a medical certificate.

Oh yes, what about all that people which doesn't even bother to get a driver's license.

But the officials have something to do again.

19 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Another no brainer ! Purchase a car show a medical certificate hmmm can't see to many car dealerships refusing a purchase specially in these hard times and what if you are not the owner just buying for your sibling etc ?

Will not work the dealerships will loose money. Especially from foreingers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

What's concerning mate is that the medical certificate is a joke, 5 yrs ago I got a certificate the test was, " you feel okay" checked my BP and certificate was given, now that's concerning!!

my last one was useful, as was the one before that.  BP, PR, ENT check, chest listen, breathing, searching questions on life style and illnesses.  No harm done and maybe some good for some people.  Fully support the pokily but they should have compulsory eye tests added.