Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

I have a lifetime Thai driving licence. I Am nearly 90 years old. I stopped driving myself the past five years due to many medical problems. However it's quite legal for me to drive apparently. And what about all the others who have lifetime driving licences they can go on driving in spite of being incapacitated

Medical cert, in KhonKaen stop at a doctors office, in the bus station, I am double parked I wait in the car my wife takes 100bhat plus my passport, comes back with 100 bhat less but has the necessary certificate, I have been relaxing in the car

This is very easy and non onerous and not too expensive

I am happy living in Thailand

Years ago I did some microlight flying here in Thailand and I needed a medical cert for the student pilot’s licence. I asked my wife to speak to a doctor about this. A few hours later she came back with a medical cert with my name on it. I believe the conversation went something like this......

”So your husband, is he in good health then?”

”Yeah, yeah, he’s fine”.

”Ah grand, what’s his name then?”

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, YetAnother said:

bandaid solution; upgrade driving skills here by requiring road tests, to be passed

I would have thought that making all drivers complete a proper practical driving test or defensive driving course was the best way to go.

• Like 1

"Hi, I'm interested in this Benz CLS, how much is it?" 

"Four million Baht on the road sir." 

"Yes, I think I'll take it, I can pay in full by bank transfer or do you do finance?" 

"Can sir, do you have medical certificate?" 

"What? Why do I need that? Of course I don't have one." 

"Cannot sell without medical certicate sir." 

"Look, I will put a million in cash on the table, and we overlook this idiotic requirement, ok?" 

"Cannot." 

"OK, bye then." 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Warrior said:

a another pointless brain wave !!  why don't they train thais how to drive safely 

why train someone who is medically unfit to drive?  

I am amazed at the negativity on this subject surrounding needing a medical certificate to drive or ride.  Westerners, TVF members and others, should know better   All it shows to me is that many farangs, as well as Thais,  are driving and riding while medically unfit to do so.  If you are one of those then shame on you. I hope it works. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why train someone who is medically unfit to drive?  

I am amazed at the negativity on this subject surrounding needing a medical certificate to drive or ride.  Westerners, TVF members and others, should know better   All it shows to me is that many farangs, as well as Thais,  are driving and riding while medically unfit to do so.  If you are one of those then shame on you. I hope it works. 

A lot of Westerners bend the rules to suit, or believe the rules don't apply, or even interpret them to suit, don't they @Pilotman ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Because the root  cause  has  nothing to do with health and makes its  virtually useless.

Driving yesterday from Hua  Hin to Bangkok I witnessed  MANY idiotic selfish and grossly dangerous drivers including many at an accident scene going onto a closed road (roadworks) via an EXIT  point to avoid the queue, literally 100's doing this.

Then there were the do what you want drivers, in and  out swerving as they don't  like to wait, no signals trying to force you off the road, health is the least of their worries, a mental health test would be more useful.

one is not connected to the other and to try to justify no medical check ups by saying that they are terrible drivers anyway defies logic and common sense. 

Told to get medical cert when applying for my D/L years ago.  Local Dr recommended. 

He took my BP;  OK.

Asked if I ever felt giddy;  Answer No.

OK Pay 100baht and given cert.

last time I was in Driving test office, for renewal, there was a local, typical old Thai Farmer.  His daughter had brought him in as she thought he was getting too old to drive.

He was asked to take the Light colour test/ reaction test.

he refused as he could not see the lights.  Made a great fuss about this and shouted at the 'examiner.'

Passed test to avoid an embarrassing situation for the examiner.

If this is the normal situation, what hope is there?

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

one is not connected to the other and to try to justify no medical check ups by saying that they are terrible drivers anyway defies logic and common sense. 

Now  Somchai, can you see that  car registration at 20metres?  "yes  doctor"  ok  good , pass your eyesight is  excellent, reality, oh Somchai  will you  look  right when  at a  junction on your  motorbike, nope didn't  think so. Yet  ole  Somchais  vision is  perfect, now that does defy  logic and common sense. See  it  all the time, not even a glance when puling out  onto a main or any road for that matter on their motorbikes.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Robin said:

Told to get medical cert when applying for my D/L years ago.  Local Dr recommended. 

He took my BP;  OK.

Asked if I ever felt giddy;  Answer No.

OK Pay 100baht and given cert.

last time I was in Driving test office, for renewal, there was a local, typical old Thai Farmer.  His daughter had brought him in as she thought he was getting too old to drive.

He was asked to take the Light colour test/ reaction test.

he refused as he could not see the lights.  Made a great fuss about this and shouted at the 'examiner.'

Passed test to avoid an embarrassing situation for the examiner.

If this is the normal situation, what hope is there?

Or you simply  repeat the test until you guess  right, seen it myself in Bangkok especially the depth perception test.

8 hours ago, Mike k said:

Had to do it for my renewal 

Wow, you got to see a  doctor, at On  Nut in Bangkok I went to  a doctors shop, wouldn't  call it a  surgery and the receptionist  took my pulse and that was it, the doctor in the back signed the paperwork but he never  saw me or I  him. 100  baht

And  the jokes just keep on coming . How embarrassing to have these bureaucrats be seen as examples of

government policy makers .

I suppose we need to be careful what we wish for as we benefit from the total incompetence of a government unbale to follow through on any policy decision that would actually make Thailand roads safer . 

We can treat speed limits , lane designators , and stop lights as suggestions rather than enforced laws with consequences . 

The only traffic infraction I have seen administered  is no helmet , because it is an undeniable transgression and left turn on red because the police box is right there so no effort required to apprehend the culprit .

• Like 1