Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

Nothing new with regards to applying for a license or renewing it. Have always had to have a medical certificate. However needing one for buying a car is ridiculous and I'll use my case as an example. My partner & I just purchased a new car and she is NOT the driver, I am. The car is in HER name, so how does her needing a medical certificate solve anything In fact most Thais will do exactly this, buy a car and put it in the name of a non driver. The requirement for a medical certificate is therefore deemed to be absolutely useless and solves nothing with regards to road safety etc. Just another poorly thought out scheme to give the impression of doing something to reduce the road toll. The ONLY way that will happen is for the lazy cops to get off their backsides and actually enforce the traffic laws in existence and for proper driver training to be given.

• Like 2

Needed a med cert from a doc when I Applied for DL years ago.

100 bhat paid to the receptionist the so called doctor did not even open his door receptionist had pre written certs ready doctor just signs and poked it out his pigeon hole...

Yep that will fix all the accidents on Thailands roads...

20 hours ago, kotsak said:

Not for renewals of the 5 year driving license.

Just gone through the hoops to get my 5 year renewal. Already had my copy passport, visa and Immigration certificates, for both car and bike. Turned up at DVL, on designated date. Cannot, have to go to University training center. Turned up on allocated date. Wanted, copies of the copies, for all papers, for both licenses, plus front and back of both driving licenses! 

Eventually found photo copy place on Uni campus. Back to training centre, fill out another form for each license. Then have to pay 400 baht. Watched two videos. Finished 09:30,,,,,then have to wait till 14:00,,to get certificates for both licenses. Next it will be back to DVL centre, to pay, and get licenses,,, hopefully! And no medical certificate asked for,,,, yet! 

20 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

But who supplies said cert' .. 

Needs to be a doctor not open to any sort of inducement to give an honest , accurate appraisal of an applicants health ..

Yes, I agree, but nothing is100% certain, this applies to any rule in any country. there is always someone in any capacity who will take a bribe, and there is no way to stop it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

But who supplies said cert' .. 

Needs to be a doctor not open to any sort of inducement to give an honest , accurate appraisal of an applicants health ..

In the province where I live, we have always needed a medical certificate. Not a problem, a quick trip to the clinic 100 Baht for the certificate, don't even see the doctor and away you go. It used to be even easier, there was a kiosk outside of licensing and you just popped in, paid 50 baht and you were right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Crazy to ask for a medical certificate to buy a car if one was necessary for your license don't you think.

Considering how many drive here with no license or the old lifetime licenses perhaps not.

21 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How will a company purchasing vehicles get a medical cert? Also why would a grandmother purchasing a vehicle that is to be used by her family but not her need to certify her health?

Requiring a medical cert for issuance or renewal of licenses makes sense but for the purchase of a vehicle does not. Owner does not necessarily mean driver.

You are talking about an unelected "PM" and a bunch of tinpot soldiers making rules because they think they are politicians, and not poorly educated soldiers. They can't get used to the fact that they are not in their barracks and on their parade grounds any more.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are talking about an unelected "PM" and a bunch of tinpot soldiers making rules because they think they are politicians, and not poorly educated soldiers. They can't get used to the fact that they are not in their barracks and on their parade grounds any more.

Someone saw it as a possible earner, and so that's possibly why it was pushed forth.  Just my view.

• Thanks 2

The apple doesn’t fall far from tree... in its possible it rots on the tree before falling. ..  

me thinks use a check point and ask for license and insurance only. If none impound car or moto ..or? as a deterrent..  that y’all get a lot off the streets.

• Like 1

Nothing is going to stop the carnage until there is ON THE ROAD policing!  Dangerous drivers need to be stopped when seen and ticketed, fined and possibly jailed if their actions warrant it.  Fines should be sufficient to make drivers think twice about repeating the offences.  These drivers need to be corrected or banned from driving BEFORE they are in or cause an accident.  Speed cameras may deter a few speeders but they will not catch dangerous driving habits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

unfortunately insulting Thailand and Thai people with racial slurs is allowed on Thaivisa and very common. A reply which would questions who is more stupid, the writer of this remark, or Thai people, would not be allowed though and Thaivisa would ban me, again, for it.

For all cynical farang who suffer from a superior complex and think they are smart and other non western ppl are stupid, you should be denied a visa to live here. As tye old saying goes, if you dont like it here, go back to your own covid infested own country. nobody forces you to live here and to live in any other country is not a right, but a privilige granted by the original citizens.

Hey, "Kotsak" neither said, not inferred that stupidity was in any way prevalent in Thailand or present in a greater quantity than in any other country.

He did observe that driving behaviour in Thailand can often be stupid, which is obvious to the most casual observer, Thai, Caucasian or just beamed down from the planet Zanussi!

The rest of your tired tirade -( "go back to where you come from") rather suggests that we should never comment on the country (in which we live) in other than respectful admiration. Remarking upon common traits in behaviour here, does not mean that one should not be denied that right to live here. The requirements to qualify for a visa allowing us to live here do not include only discussing Thailand and the Thais in breathless admiration! Indeed most Thais I know are quite upfront in remarking on what they see as shortcomings in their society!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

That may be true for the LTO where you got a renewal but where I went it was definitely a requirement.

Everyones' mileage  is subject to the vagaries of the clerk on the other side of the counter..

Well the official requirements for renewal of a 5 year license at the moment don’t include a medical according to the DLT website (bottom of this page )https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

ASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2
    PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
Edited by MikeN

On 2/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, tracker1 said:

I had to supply one when I applied for a licence the Dr checked to see I had all my fingers and both legs Certificate Approved !

Yeah that's correct , Farang need , everyone should have . I gotta say , our guy here takes it pretty seriously , but sure it would vary a lot doctor to doctor .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Well the official requirements for renewal of a 5 year license at the moment don’t include a medical according to the DLT website (bottom of this page )https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

ASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2
    PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

You need for the initial 2 year license ..

Here they ask for at every renewal , just did mine 

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

The motorists who in fact ARE responsible for the deadly mayhem on our streets are those who lack training, don't know traffic rules, don't care about traffic rules, drive too fast, are distracted while behind the wheel, are hot-tempered road rowdies, drive stone drunk -- or, actually, sometimes all of these combined..

those who lack training-Preventable require training for 1st timers or require driving test with instructor.

don't know traffic rules-Preventable require test of driving rules before license issued

don't care about traffic rules, drive too fast-Somewhat preventable would require extensive patrol by cops on roads, which there currently are almost none.  You can't get pulled over by a cop for speeding in Thailand as far as I know.  I've never seen it.

are distracted while behind the wheel, are hot-tempered road rowdies - not preventable.  Almost impossible to catch someone texting while driving

drive stone drunk--requires stopping everyone to check for DUI.  Wasn't that just made illegal in Thailand?!?